Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
Michaele
Ribbing the Cuff

Finger Gussets
Here's the link to the pattern:
http://www.knitlist.com/00gift/mens-...ess-gloves.htm

There are gaps in between the fingers that I've knit. I guess I could just sew them closed, but I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

The directions aren't very clear about what to do with the cast on stitches that make up the finger gusset. I'm not sure if I should knit them for the first round, and then leave them on a spare needle, or if I should just cast them on and then leave them on a spare needle without knitting them in that first round.

Eventually, I decided to do the latter. For example, for the first finger gusset,
I knit 8,
CO 3 and left those three on a spare needle,
and then knit the remaining 8.

Then when I got to the next finger,
I picked up 7 from the back of hand with the needle holding the 3 st from 1st finger gusset,
and then I COed 3 for gusset for the 2nd finger, left them on a spare needle.
Finally, I picked up 8 st from palm of hand, and started my round with those 8 sts.

I'm visualizing the finger like a circle (with the thumb on the right), and that just picked up stitches the wrong way (clockwise). I think I should have picked up the back stitches going towards the 1st finger gusset, and then picked up the sts for the palm (counterclockwise).

Or maybe it doesn't make a difference.

But my question is: How do I fix the holes between the fingers, and prevent them from occuring in the future?
Michaele is offline   Reply With Quote