Old 04-01-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

In Memory of my Grandma
I knit my grandma a lapghan a couple of years ago. She was in assisted living at the time. It was all acrylic, easy care. She LOVED it! Every time I talked to her, she went on and on about how much she loved it. She kept it on the back of her chair and used it to wrap up quite often.

The Saturday before last, I went to visit her. We live about 4 1/2 hours from her. I went on Christmas, but she was sick so I didn't stay long. I'd felt bad about not getting to spend time with her and my other Grandma has been not well too. (They are blocks apart.) We spent Saturday afternoon visiting the two grandmas. Grandma Q was doing great. My sister was also in town (2 hours away) and visited them both that day. We were both surprised at how well Grandma Q was doing. She talked up a storm and has a memory like no other. (Well, long term memory. She may forget who you are or whatnot, but she can tell you where every postcard was from on her board.) She really was a fantastic lady!

That night, at about 1:30 a.m., we got a phone call. (I was at my parent's house.) I heard my dad talking on the phone for a few minutes so I knew it wasn't a wrong number or misdial. I heard him go talk to my mom and then he went downstairs. I went out and asked my mom who was now up, what happened. I figured someone fell or got sick. She told me to wait for my dad. He came up and told me Grandma Q had died that night. I was in utter shock. Apparently, she died in her sleep sometime between 12 and 1 when the nurses checked. She went peacefully without a struggle and I know she had a great last day on earth. (I'm 100% positive she's in heaven!)

Anyway. My grandma was never one to waste anything. She took meticulous care of everything too. She used EVERYTHING to it's full extent. My cousin told the story of sitting on the kitchen floor stringing buttons with the string from the top of the flour bag. The same cousin told that she had to get Grandma a zippered bag to keep the afghan I knit it. Grandma didn't want the nursing home people to snag it or hurt it. She told her that it was to be used. I'm sure it was. They put it on top of the casket at visitation and sent it home with me.

Now, my dilemma. What do I do with it? Do I save it for a memory? Do I use it as she would? Do I pass it on? I'm so greatful that I got it back. I don't know what would have happened to it if not. What would you do?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
catlvr
1st Leg of the Journey

I would keep it, and pass it on to your children when they are old enough to appreciate what it meant to your grandma and you. My condolences on your loss. She sounds like she was an awesome lady.
catlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to catlvr For This Useful Post:
kellyh57 (04-01-2009)
Old 04-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
mhansen
Turning the Heel

I too would keep it and pass it along to your children. I'm very sorry for your loss.

I'm Knittingmary at Ravelry

If I live to be 200 I will never get all those patterns that I have knitted!
mhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mhansen For This Useful Post:
kellyh57 (04-01-2009)
Old 04-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Denise in Michigan
Turning the Heel

I'm so sorry for your loss! You and your sister gave her a wonderful last day. What a marvelous, practical lady your grandmother was; she used and loved what you made with love for her. I'm sure her heart will tell your heart what to do. Just give it a little time.
kellyh57 (04-01-2009)
Old 04-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss!

Add me to the list of those who voted to keep it...I too would do the same, and, hand it down to my kids to then hand down to theirs, etc...and I'd make sure I told them the story behind the blanket to be passed along as well.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saracidaltendencies For This Useful Post:
kellyh57 (04-01-2009)
Old 04-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I'd keep it as a memory as well.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
kellyh57 (04-01-2009)
Old 04-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

I would keep it too, to pass down to the kids later.

I'm sure you'll all miss her.

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simply_Renee For This Useful Post:
kellyh57 (04-01-2009)
Old 04-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #8
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

I'm so glad that you had that last bit of very special time with her and that even to the end she let you know how much your present meant to her. I'm not one to put memories in a bag or a shelf...when my grandma left, the things I kept that belonged to her were things that I could use daily to keep her in my life in that way. Dishes I liked that I use all the time, s & p shakers that she collected..I fill them up and use them. I say, don't save it for the kids to use it later...use it now and remember her well. God Bless.

sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sgtpam For This Useful Post:
kellyh57 (04-01-2009)
Old 04-02-2009, 02:23 AM   #9
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
First of all, I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm so glad that you got to see her before she passed away. I'm sure your visit was a blessing to her as well as you.

If you want to save it for your family, then do so, and USE it. I'm a firm believer that thing should be used and not tucked away because they are too pretty or "special" to be used. Enjoy and think of the joy that blanket brought to your grandmother. Every time you or a family member snuggles under it, you'll be able to share fond memories of your grandmother.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
kellyh57 (04-02-2009)
Old 04-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #10
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss.

One of my most cherished items is a quilt. It's all torn and ratty looking but it was hand made by my grandmother...it used to cover me when I was a child, then she took it to the hospital with her every trip, it was on her bed before she passed away, she loved that quilt. My parents showed up one Easter with it and gave it to me...that has been the present ever! I would keep it and use it...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
kellyh57 (04-02-2009)