Old 04-03-2009, 03:46 AM   #1
sorifes
1st Leg of the Journey

What does this mean!?
Okay I've read it like 6 times. I just totally don't get it

Quote:
Bind off leaving the last stitch on the needle. With right sides together, sew the sleeve closed being careful to close all of the holes at the underarm. Place the last stitch on the left hand needle. Knit 2 tog and knit across the back of the sweater to the next marker. Place the stitches for the back of the sweater on a holder.

it's for a sweater. here's the whole pattern http://yarntootin.typepad.com/5hourbabysweater.pdf It's for the sleeve and like after you've binded it off. I get the sewing it together but after that
sorifes is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:02 AM   #2
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

From what I can understand,they're telling you that this last stitch will join the back sts. You were working only the sleeve in stockinette, so I figure that this st will help reduce any holes when you return to the back. You just knit it together with the first st when you start across the back stitches.

Don't know if I've made it any clearer for you.

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knit4Pie For This Useful Post:
sorifes (04-04-2009)
Old 04-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
tilllie
Knitting the Flap

I love this sweater! When I took a class to knit it, the instructor said just bind off that last stitch and make sure to tug on your yarn when starting across the back. Good luck!
tilllie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tilllie For This Useful Post:
sorifes (04-04-2009)
Old 04-04-2009, 02:39 AM   #4
sorifes
1st Leg of the Journey

Okay good cause that's what I was going to do cause the intructions seemed silly to bring the bottom of a sleeve to the back part. Maybe I just wasn't reading it right
sorifes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:47 AM   #5
miss_molly
1st Leg of the Journey

That makes two of us who found that instruction silly and confusing. I finished that exact sweater yesterday and was stopped in my tracks when I came to that part about leaving the stitch on the needle. That stitch is at the end of the cuff, am I right? So whyever would you place that stitch on the left hand needle and knit it together with the first stitch of the back? I think its a mistake in the pattern.

I just bound the cuff off completely, no stitch left on the needle. I sewed the sleeves up using mattress stitch, did it neatly but didn't fuss about the underarm hole at that stage. I simply left a long tail of yarn dangling after I'd finished sewing up the sleeve. Then I continued the rest of the sweater and at the end went back and used the long tail on each sleeve to neaten up any underarm holes. No problems.

sofiecat
miss_molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Oh, what you're supposed to do at the end of the cuff after binding off, is slip stitch the seam back up to the underarm. That's when you knit the last loop (from the seam) together with a stitch from the back. Or you can cut the yarn at the end of the cuff, leaving enough tail to sew up the sleeve seam, and work the back stitches with a new yarn end.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
miss_molly
1st Leg of the Journey

Yes, that matches what tilllie was told to do and what I did. But the wording in the pattern is incorrect....
Quote:
Bind off leaving the last stitch on the needle.
.... that instruction comes after the instructions "Knit 7 rows" (which was the cuff) and before the instructions to stitch up the sleeve seam.

This issue was discussed on KnittingHelp a while back -
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=53451

sofiecat
miss_molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Ahh, I've seen several versions of the pattern. Could be this version was sorta copied from the other and things were changed to make it different, but the slip stitching was left out.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote