Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #9251
Lady Violet
Working the Gusset

Lieke, I love the sock! What yarn did you use for Steven's bag (which I also really like)? Is it really black and yellow, or is my computer monitor deceiving me?

"Beautiful yarn speaks to the soul of a knitter." - Shandeh

"The Swatch is good. The Swatch is wise. Listen to the Swatch." - Sandi Wiseheart

The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Violet For This Useful Post:
Lieke (04-05-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-04-2009, 10:10 PM   #9252
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Tami, that is GORGEOUS yarn! Glad to see you around, and I hope everyone is OK!

Lieke, wow, that's some gorgeous knitting! I like your dice bag, that's really cool. I am drooling over Laminaria... might have to try that one day!

Lady Vi, great to see you!

Julie, I don't think you're crazy- if she's ready, she's ready. If not, I'm sure you'll pick up on that. None of us learned it without accidents, though. GOOD LUCK with the test!

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abbily For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (04-04-2009), Lieke (04-05-2009)
Old 04-04-2009, 11:36 PM   #9253
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Dustina, Thanks...he needs all the help he can get! Sorry the Dr.'s office gave you such a hard time! NOT FUN!!! No, I don't use an iron skillet. I just did it in two 9" round pans so I could freeze one. A big cake is too much for the two of us.

Lieke, I'm SO SORRY to hear you didn't get the job. At least write them a note telling them how much you enjoyed the opportunity and to keep you in mind for future openings. If you feel up to it after a day or two, give them a call and ask for input as to what made them decide against you. It's hard to do and may be hard to hear, but it will help you get the PERFECT job for you! BEAUTIFUL knits, btw! LOVE the shawl and the cables on the sweater are SO pretty! You do SUCH pretty work!

Christine, hope you feel better soon.

Julie, she seems to connect the processes together and seems to want it, so I'd go for it. My sister always potty trained her kids early. Me, not so much! Hope your test went well. I'll send you some info when I get a few minutes to breathe!

Tami, your yarn is BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait to see the socks! Sorry to hear you've had trials with DD! Hope everything is okay!

Lady V, nice to hear from you again! I don't use DPNs at all, so I can't give you an opinion. ML all the way for me!

Chris, I'm jealous! I'd love to go to a wool festival!

We worked outside for much of the day. We cleaned up the flower beds, moved some plants, etc. I knit maybe two rows on Amused. I'm finding the yarn is hard on my hands and the rows are increasingly long. I've never worked a sweater top-down all in one piece before. The yarn is really stretchy and hard to have even tension. I think I'll have to take MIL's sweater out of time out and finish it. Ugh. Then I'll start another project to alternate with Amused.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
dustinac (04-06-2009), jberry16 (04-06-2009), Lieke (04-05-2009), The.Knitter (04-06-2009)
Old 04-04-2009, 11:53 PM   #9254
Jackie Lim
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie Lim
hi
morning,

on the air-con in the study room for the past 3 days. This air con unit is the smallest among all other 3 rooms. Has been knitting smalll items, crocheted one of this, and it became a coaster instead of a hotpot pad, with a smaller size hook and stash DK . http://web.archive.org/web/200112280...nt/scallph.htm

http://www.knittersdreamstore.com/servlet/Detail?no=701
Isnt this cute, this way i can show off my handknitted socks. Has anyone has this ? Need your opinion, is it good buy ?

Welcome to my blog

FOs - In my blog
Old 04-05-2009, 04:53 AM   #9255
Lieke
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Lady Violet View Post
Lieke, I love the sock! What yarn did you use for Steven's bag (which I also really like)? Is it really black and yellow, or is my computer monitor deceiving me?
I've used Bravo from Sachenmayr. I've used a strand of yellow and a strand of blue (your monitor and my camera are both deceiving you). (ravelry project-page)

Gina, I've got called and directly got the input about why they don't want me. (but it's hard to explain in English)

Old 04-06-2009, 07:18 AM   #9256
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Hello sole-mates

Today is Tartan Day - a day to remember the contributions of Scots to the world. Wear your tartan today.

Interesting statement on the contributions of Scots:
  • The average Englishman in the home he calls his castle, slips into his national costume ~ a shabby raincoat ~ patented by chemist Charles Macintosh from Glasgow, Scotland.
  • En route to his office he strides along the English lane, surfaced by John Macadam of Ayr, Scotland.
  • He drives an English car fitted with tyres invented by John Boyd Dunlop of Dreghorn, Scotland.
  • At the office he receives the mail bearing adhesive stamps invented by John Chalmers of Dundee, Scotland. During the day he uses the telephone invented by Alexander Graham Bell, born in Edinburgh, Scotland.
  • At home in the evening his daughter pedals her bicycle invented by Kirkpatrick Macmillan, Blacksmith of Dumfries, Scotland.
  • He watches the news on T.V., an invention of John Logie Baird of Helensburgh, Scotland and hears an item about the U.S. Navy, founded by John Paul Jones of Kirkbean, Scotland.
  • He has by now been reminded too much of Scotland and in desperation he picks up the Bible, only to find that the first man mentioned in the good book is a Scot ~ King James VI ~ who authorised its translation.
  • Nowhere can an Englishman turn to escape the ingenuity of the Scots. He could take to drink but the Scots make the best in the world.
  • He could take a rifle and end it all but the breech~loading rifle was invented by Captain Patrick Ferguson of Pitfours, Scotland.
  • If he escaped death, he could find himself on an operating table injected with penicillin, discovered by Alexander Fleming of Darvel, Scotland, and given an anaesthetic, discovered by Sir James Young Simpson of Bathgate, Scotland.
  • Out of the anaesthetic he would find no comfort in learning that he was as safe as the Bank of England, founded by William Paterson of Dumfries, Scotland.

From the US' National Tartan Day website:
  • Great Americans of Scottish Descent
  • When the Scots immigrated to America, they brought with them a great passion for liberty. Patrick Henry, of Scottish descent, so eloquently embraced this spirit for freedom in his famous quote, "Give me Liberty or Give me Death." In the American Revolution, more than half of the soldiers of the Colonial Army were Presbyterians and Calvinists, and many historians refer to the American Revolution as being 'a Scottish Rebellion,' or as one historian said, 'John Calvin was the virtual founder of America.'
  • John Witherspoon was the Scottish - American religious leader who was president of the College of New Jersey (later known as Princeton University) for eight years. He left Scotland in 1786 to take up his position where he was responsible for adding philosophy, French, and history to the curriculum. Witherspoon tutored American luminaries such as James Madison, imparting to them the beliefs of the Scottish Enlightenment, such as separation of church and state. Witherspoon later became involved in American politics and served in Congress from 1776-1782, he was also one of the signatories of the Declaration of Independence.
  • Once the United States was formed, Scottish Americans continued to make great contributions. Nine of the first 13 Governors, all the members of the First American Cabinet, 11 US Presidents and 35 Supreme Court Justices had Scottish ancestry.
  • John Kay and Samuel Bard established the first medical school in New York, King's College, both medical graduates of Edinburgh University. James Blair (1656-1743) was the first president and founder of the College of William and Mary; he emigrated from Scotland in 1685.
  • On the bench of the first sitting of the Supreme Court in 1789 sat two Scottish Americans - John Blair and James Wilson. Two of the jurists present on this case were also of Scottish descent, John Rutledge and John Marshall. These jurors served as second and third justices of the court.
  • Andrew Carnegie, a poor Scots immigrant, found fame and fortune in the US where he became the Pittsburgh steel millionaire.
  • James Craik, originally from Dumfriesshire, was President Washington's Army surgeon. His exemplary service record prompted Washington to promote him to physician and surgeon of the whole US army in 1781.
  • Ayrshire born Robert Gibson Eccles immigrated to the US where, in 1848, he discovered the properties of benzoic acid and benzoate as a food preservative.
  • One of the greatest inventors of all time, Thomas Alva Edison began to work at an early age and continued to work right up until his death. During his career Edison patented more than 1,000 inventions, including the electric light, the phonograph, and the motion-picture camera. These three inventions gave rise to giant industries-electric utilities, phonograph and record companies, and the film industry-thus changing the work and leisure habits of people throughout the world. The period from 1879 to 1900, when Edison produced and perfected most of his devices, has been called the Age of Edison.
  • Distinguished US scientist Samuel Guthrie (1728-1848) was of Scots descent. He was one of the pioneers of vaccination and in 1831 discovered chloroform
  • Alexander Hamilton is one of the most influential Scots in American history. His father was Scottish and he himself was born in the British colony of Nevis, located in the West Indies. One of the main authors of the Federalist essays - instrumental in the forming of the Constitution - he became the first US Secretary of the Treasury. Hamilton developed an impressive and effective financial plan that created immediate faith in the government of a new nation.
  • The first American author to achieve international renown, Washington Irving, who created the fictional characters Rip Van Winkle and Ichabod Crane. The critical acceptance and enduring popularity of Irving's tales involving these characters proved the effectiveness the short story as an American literary form.
  • There were many commanding officers of Scottish descent that played their part in the American Civil War. Generals "Stonewall" Jackson, Joseph Johnston, John Brown Gordon, John C. Breckenridge and John B Magruder served in the Confederate army. On the side of the Unionists were generals Ambrose Burnsideand James B McPherson. The first American Secretary of War was a Scot named General Henry Knox, he was appointed in 1785.
  • Scottish entrepreneur John Law financed the development and colonization of Louisiana.
  • John Macintosh, the developer of the Mackintosh red apple, was born in New York State: his father immigrated to the US from Inverness. Apple Computers have named a range of computers after him.
  • The creator of the garden of the Golden Gate, San Francisco, John McLaren was born in Bannockburn, Stirlingshire.
  • At least 11 Presidents of the USA were of Scots ancestry including McKinley, Jackson, Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, Polk, Lyndon B. Johnson and Ulysses Grant, who incidentally visited Dundee after he ceased to be President.
  • US dentist William Morton, who pioneered the use of anesthesia, was of Scottish descent.
  • American naturalist, explorer, and writer, John Muir was an influential conservationist. John Muir worked to preserve wilderness areas and wildlife from commercial exploitation and destruction, in which his efforts helped to establish Yosemite National Park and Sequoia National Park.
  • One of the strongest and most vigorous presidents in United States history, Theodore Roosevelt is well known for his efforts in conservation of our environment. He set aside some 60 million hectares (150 million acres) of public lands to protect them from exploitation by private interests. He later added 34 million hectares (85 million acres) in Alaska and the Northwest to the public domain. The Reclamation Act of 1902 established irrigation and other services for Western lands.
  • Saint Elizabeth Ann Bayley Seton, who was descended from a long line of Scots, founded the Sisters of Charity in 1809 in Baltimore. She was canonized by Rome in 1975.
  • F. D. Roosevelt's Secretary for Agriculture, Henry Wallace, was the grandson of a Scottish Presbyterian Minister. His invention, of a hybrid corn, increased agricultural production many times over.
  • Harvard Medical School was founded by three doctors - of the three, only Dr Benjamin Waterhouse, a graduate of the medical school at Edinburgh University, was a qualified doctor.
  • General Winfield Scott was the grandson of a Scot who fought at the Battle of Culloden. He became the commanding general of the American forces during the Mexican War of 1846-48.
  • Alexander Wilson, who emigrated from Scotland in 1794, was the first person to study North American birds. He was the author of the first seven volumes of the American Ornithology.
  • Woodrow Wilson, the 28th President of the United States, was the grandson of a Scottish Presbyterian minister.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
dustinac (04-06-2009), jberry16 (04-06-2009), Lady Violet (04-06-2009), The.Knitter (04-06-2009)
Old 04-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #9257
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Good Morning Socksters!!

Lieke~Beautiful knitting! I just love that shawl I wanna start it ...I'm sorry about the job the right one is out there

Julie~I Hope the test went well

Jackie~Send some of that heat this way they are talking about snow here again

Chris~Thank you for the info

Gina~I'm sorry to read that the amused is hurting your hands ...Thank you I'm still feeling kinda guilty for letting them push me into her shots...JD just keeps saying "let it go, just let it go"

Lady Vi~I haven't ordered them but I think they would work great for sock knitting. I like the 5" dpns but think the 4" would be even better

Tami~love the yarn, we miss you!

Christine~Hope you are feeling better...I'm having trouble with this weather warm one day, cold the next, then hot the next...my left side of my face keeps swelling up along with my usual sinus symptoms

Lisa~How are the shins?

Carey~Hope you guys had a relaxing weekend

Sue~Whatcha working on?

Ann~

Carla~Did you get the dishrag worked out?

Mare~How are the sleeves coming?

Hi everyone!!

On Saturday I spent the day cleaning 'cause it was cold outside and then began that second alpaca mitten. Yesterday it was warm again so we were outside picking up the yard and fighting the wasp...I bet today they are freezing suppose to have snow today/tomorrow

Roo will have soccer practice in the cold temps tomorrow...then by Thursday warm back up again...it really needs to pick a temp and stay there

Still haven't heard from Isaiah's coach so I sent an e-mail off this morning to see if I'm missing something...

I only have the thumb left to do on the mitten

I hope you all have a wonderful day of knitting

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (04-06-2009), knitgal (04-07-2009), Lady Violet (04-06-2009), Lieke (04-06-2009), The.Knitter (04-06-2009)
Old 04-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #9258
sue in canada
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,270 Posts
Lieke: So sorry that you didnít get the job. Hope something good comes along for you soon. Hope your neck is feeling better. All your pictures look great. Love the colour of Montera.

Julie: How did the exam go? That is quite young for potty training, but if she wants to do it let her try. My daughter was two and it was quite easy if I remember rightly, but my son was another story.

Tami: Very pretty yarn.

Jackie: Cute idea for the clogs. I have seen them mentioned before, but I have not actually seen them anywhere.

Chris: Happy Tartan Day.

Dustina: Too bad you had such a hard time at the doctorís office. I know they are very fussy about the shots these days, but I guess they have to be with so many old diseases coming back again.

Gina: Hope the hands are better today.

Ann:

Christine. How are you feeling? Have you been able to knit at all?

It is snowing here today. I am so fed up with this weather. I thought it was supposed to be spring. I have some spring flowers in bloom.

I haven't done much knitting lately due to the headaches but have been a bit better the last couple of days. I made a hat to go with the outfit in Baby Jacquard and yesterday I bought a Canada sweater in the dollar store. It fits well and I think looks cute.

Happy Knitting everyone
Old 04-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #9259
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Chris, wow! Thanks for all the great info! LONG LIVE THE SCOTS! I discovered a few days ago that a very good friend of mine is a member of X Marks the Scot. He played his pipes in church for us a few weeks ago.

Jackie, I've seen those clear clogs before, but I have the same problem as Julie- my feet get hot! I think those shoes would make it worse, so I've never tried them.

Julie, how did your test go?

Ann, how are you doing?

Did everyone have a good weekend? I took Abby to a birthday party Sat. afternoon, and our neighbor took her daughter and Emily to the creek in the greenbelt near our house to play in the water. They had a blast! Sunday, the girls and I went to my parents' house and made Italian Easter cookies, and then mom and I did some knitting together. She's making the baby surprise jacket, and had some questions about part of it. I made a little progress on the drop-stitch scarf, which is coming along, thankfully. I think I'm over half way done! It's gorgeous, but so annoying to knit...

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abbily For This Useful Post:
Jackie Lim (04-06-2009), knitgal (04-07-2009)
Old 04-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #9260
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Sue: I'm ok today, but yesterday I spent the whole day in bed with the weather changing and my ears and head going nuts. No I haven't done much knitting in the last few days. I'll try and get some done today. Saturday was a really busy day. We went grocery shopping, then to doggie class, then to my DD's house to check on my DGD who had an accident and is quite bruised and swollen. Her brother accidentally hit her in the head with a steel bar that is used to keep the patio door secured when they are not home. He was playing Ninja. She has a nasty concussion. He is in so much trouble right now. Needless to say he won't be playing Ninja again!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

Closed Thread