Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #9261
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Wow, I guess we were all typing at once!

Christine, sorry to hear you've been under the weather! Yikes, I hope DGD will recover quickly! It takes a while to develop that sense of cause and effect.

Sue, sorry you're not feeling well. I love the doll outfits!

Dustina, can't wait to see the mittens! My allergies have been all over the place with the crazy weather changes, too. Yeesh.

Julie, I was thinking about the potty training thing this weekend, and remembered that Em potty trained herself at 18 months, with very little help from me. Which makes me think she was probably ready a little earlier, I just didn't notice! Abby was a little later, but still before age 2.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Abbily For This Useful Post:
dustinac (04-06-2009), jberry16 (04-06-2009), The.Knitter (04-08-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #9262
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
QOTD:If you had GC coming from Barnes and Noble what would you get?

My MIL ordered and sent me The Mitford Years box set for my b-day... but I already have it (good set)...I wasn't going to say anything to her but she talked to JD and he told her...so she told JD to take it back and get me a GC...I could wait till he gets it and then order from their website, but thought maybe I would give him a few things to look for to bring home that day

I have tons of sock knitting books...so thinking of lace or fair isle books...any suggestions

Gathering of Lace
Folk Mittens

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
Old 04-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #9263
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Sue, Christine, Carey~I hope you guys feel better soon...hopefully the weather will make up it's mind .

Sue~Very cute!!

Carey~YAY for knitting time with your mom, I can't wait to do that this weekend

Christine~Oh no, I hope she feels better soon

When I went to register Roo it was sprinkling, now I'm watching it spit snow here and there

The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
The.Knitter (04-08-2009)
Old 04-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #9264
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Dustina, I love the Mitford books! I just finished reading "The Teahouse Fire" by Ellis Avery, and I loved it. I also really liked "Peony in Love" by Lisa See.

Ok friends, I need some knitting advice. My good friend Michelle is having her baby girl baptized on April 19th. She's the one I made the lace baby sweater for. I want to make a baby bonnet/wedding hanky gift for her in time for the baptism, but haven't settled on a pattern yet. I'm thinking of this one. Do you think that would be a good choice? Do you guys have any suggestions? Of course, I don't have any white lace weight yarn either, so I'm going to have to find time to hit the yarn store soon!

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
The Following User Says Thank You to Abbily For This Useful Post:
dustinac (04-06-2009)
Old 04-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #9265
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Carey~My grandmother always orders books and then when she is done with them passes them on to me...I've been thinking though about getting the Love Comes Softly collection, she never had that but would borrow it from the library and we would read them.

very pretty! I've always wanted to make the counterpane afghan...I think that is a great choice

Old 04-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #9266
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Well, I had a crappy day at work. One of my students had a massage therapist who kept coming at the same time as me and when I asked her not to talk so I could talk to the student, she got mad and left. Later, she talked to the parent and told them all I did there was knit because my boss called me in and told me I was not to see this student again and that "of course, we shouldn't knit" at work. What a crock. Especially because sometimes I just SIT THERE watching a kid take a test or whatever. I didn't get a chance to talk it through with her. Others read stupid magazines, but I can't knit. Not that I do a lot of it, but when I have a student who doesn't need HANDS ON help, it keeps me from going nuts. (Granted, most of the kids DO need hands-on help and I give it to them, of course!) Can you tell I'm upset? Now I won't sleep tonight....

Jackie, I saw those clogs in a yarn store once. Cute, but I'll bet your feet sweat in them. Your crochet talent amazes me, btw!

Chris, that's quite a history lesson! Happy Tartan Day!

Dustina, hope your weather calms down soon. Ours is very wacky right now. It's supposed to get into the 30's tonight! Brrrr. I don't have good knitting book recommendations. I usually get them from the library. The Mitford books are good--I read them a long time ago! I liked the first ones best...then they started to sound a lot alike.

Sue, CUTE doll clothes! Hope your headaches subside soon.

Carey, sounds like you had a nice family weekend. What are Italian Easter Cookies? Recipe? The pattern you chose is LOVELY! Go for it. What yarn store do you go to? (for next time I'm in Austin....)

Christine, hope things settle down for you. Your poor grandkids!

Like, I'm praying for a great job for you!

Ann, I'm thinking about you today.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
dustinac (04-07-2009), Jackie Lim (04-06-2009), knitgal (04-06-2009), Lieke (04-07-2009), The.Knitter (04-08-2009)
Old 04-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #9267
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Jackie I'd avoid the plastic clogs in your humid weather, the scalloped potholder is pretty!

Carey I'll look some more on ravelry tonight, I know there's lots of lacy bonnets on there. That square counterpane is SO pretty.

Christine; boys will be boys. end of story-period.

Hope all is going well, been too busy this weekend & today to even think about potty training Katie. I did pull out my UFO, tofutsies 2 at once toe up socks yesterday morning & night and I am almost to the heel, I was just past the toe increases when I started last night. Not my fav. pattern, but it's pretty still (basket weave.)
Today I applied for a re-fi on the mortgage, we got a 6% rate 4 years ago & now it's down to 4.5% and that's what we'd get so hopefully we do qualify (since we're now down to 1 income & when we bought the house I was working full time too). We're hoping that would save us about $200 a month, maybe we could go back to buying our own groceries again. Since Bailey was born 3 years ago & our mortgage went up Brian's dad has been giving us $300 a month for food-so generous! It sure would be nice to have the $ to be able to buy our own groceries again.

Last edited by jberry16 : 04-06-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: typo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
Jackie Lim (04-06-2009), The.Knitter (04-08-2009)
Old 04-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #9268
mare-nitt
Turning the Heel

Jackie I have also seen the plastic clogs on girls at the knit shop, they do show off the knit socks, but I bet they would be warm. But I did someone with a pair that had a design cut out on the tops. Cute idea.
Julie we re fin our mortgage a month ago and we saved about 200 a month. If you can do it now is the time.
I finished the sleeves on my sweater and am finishing the neck line. Then comes the big try on and a picture maybe. Just keep in mind, this is a simple pattern for a simple knitter (who knits for relaxation) I hope I will at least wear it as a jean sweater to hang around the house in. Then on to something more perfect. LOL
We spent the weekend looking at cars, boring. Can never find what you have money for. We found a used Auddi, but I don't know if I can bring myself to drive it to work. That car would cost the same as the one I am driving now. (except no oil leak), it is used with miles.
Happy Knitting everyone. I am hoping we get some Springtime weather soon, so I can work in the yard.
http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/n...albumview=grid
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mare-nitt For This Useful Post:
Jackie Lim (04-06-2009), jberry16 (04-06-2009)
Old 04-07-2009, 03:52 AM   #9269
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by The.Knitter View Post
We went grocery shopping, then to doggie class, then to my DD's house to check on my DGD who had an accident and is quite bruised and swollen. Her brother accidentally hit her in the head with a steel bar that is used to keep the patio door secured when they are not home. He was playing Ninja. She has a nasty concussion. He is in so much trouble right now. Needless to say he won't be playing Ninja again!
That's horrible! Hope she feels better and he learns his lesson. But... that's kids. My cousin Billy broke his sister's arm when he accidentally jumped on it on a trampoline... unknown to her parents, my cousin Cami got out her baseball bat to play with it with some friends, but apparently not in the standard way, and somehow got a concussion - nobody's giving the parents details on this... I knocked my brother into a table and his head got knocked open and he had to get stitches. Live and learn, I guess.
Originally Posted by G J View Post
Well, I had a crappy day at work. One of my students had a massage therapist who kept coming at the same time as me and when I asked her not to talk so I could talk to the student, she got mad and left. Later, she talked to the parent and told them all I did there was knit because my boss called me in and told me I was not to see this student again and that "of course, we shouldn't knit" at work. What a crock. Especially because sometimes I just SIT THERE watching a kid take a test or whatever. I didn't get a chance to talk it through with her. Others read stupid magazines, but I can't knit. Not that I do a lot of it, but when I have a student who doesn't need HANDS ON help, it keeps me from going nuts. (Granted, most of the kids DO need hands-on help and I give it to them, of course!) Can you tell I'm upset? Now I won't sleep tonight....
I hope you have a better day in the future. Will you be able to discuss with your boss in the future and have the knitting thing re-evaluated? Some people just don't understand that 1. you CAN knit and pay attention at the same time. AND 2. Sometimes having something to do with your hands is important to keeping your mind on task. Especially since you are reliable at doing hands-on work as needed.
I am usually able to focus very well without anything to do with my hands, but when I get too stressed I need something to do in order to expend that energy, otherwise I can't focus. In class, doodling usually works (there is a correlation between my stress level and the type or pattern of the doodle, in fact) but once I tried using knitting instead (and it was far less distracting than the detail-obsessed artwork I was creating in my notes at the time)... and my parents reamed me when they found out. I'm almost entirely certain that my teachers were OK with it, because any of them would have mentioned it to me before going to my parents... but one of them might have mentioned it in passing.

So, I obviously survived Chicago. First off, I had a great time with my friend. And, I found out that her best friend, Andrew, has a friend who goes to my school... and that the friend, Ashley, actually sits beside me in two of my classes. Anyway, we went shopping and watched movies and stayed up until 3 am talking about boys, travel, and school. Sunday, we went to Palm Sunday mass at the Basilica, which was absolutely beautiful. She promises to come and visit me if I move to Duluth.
On the other hand - next time I have to drive through Chicago, my dad is not invited. He did OK riding on the way TO South Bend (and traffic was heavy but not as bad as St. Paul was, in either direction), but on the way home... See, I like space in front of me. "Up your speed a little and close that gap, and people won't pull in front of you." "That's not the point, dad, the point is to give them space to pull in front of me without cutting off my bumper." "Well, you can go a little faster anyway." "The car in front of me isn't going any faster, and I like enough space that I won't hit them if they slam on the breaks." "You could pass them." "I don't want to pass them. I'm comfy right here, and the guy behind me can pass us both if he wants to go faster." "Don't slow down! The car in front of you won't hit you, but the car behind you might." Thank you, Cpt. Obvious, "I'm not worried about the car in front of me hitting me, I'm worried about ME hitting THEM," duh.
Then, it started to hail. yay, so now the road is covered in little balls of ice (AND IT IS HAILING ON MY BRAND NEW CAR!), so I do the intelligent thing (along with every other car on the road) and slow down from about 70 to about 50. "Don't slow down, don't put on your brakes!" Gee, Dad, lets think about this. Should I slow down and go the speed of traffic, or should I swerve around all these horribly cautious drivers and kill as many as I can in the process? Also, I was COVERING the break, not even touching it, which is an intelligent thing to do when traffic is slowing down - not every time my foot twitches am I slamming on the brakes. "Look, either you trust me to handle this without killing anyone, or you really ought to be the one driving... but you are not helping matters by trying to drive from over there." Fortunately, that got him just annoyed enough to shut up, which is a delicate balance with my dad (he and I have loud tempers), and he cooled down when we got to the next rest stop where we had previously agreed he would take over driving.

So, home now, yay!
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
Old 04-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #9270
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Hello everyone,

Well I'm still around and still okay. I have had a busy few days being back at work and such. Yesterday I went and took my driving test and I passed! It's almost a miracle because it snowed like crazy up here yesterday and it hasn't snowed in over a month. I was also very nervous and made some dumb mistakes, but oh well. I will work on them.

Christine- Hope you're feeling better from the weather changes. I know it's driving me crazy too. Hope you're DGD is okay- brothers never change!

Gina- That is ridiculous about the knitting at work. It's not like you're knitting and not working, you're knitting during a break or at appropriate times. I don't think that people understand that it is possible to knit and pay attention to something else.

Jess- Glad you had a good time in Chicago. Aren't dads great? It sounds like he needs to take some Gravol and sleep the next time you go anywhere with him!

Julie- Hope you get your mortgage refinanced- that would be great for you guys! Also, I can't wait to see the finished Tofutsies socks. I have some Tofutsies, but I have never successfully made socks out of it.

Carey- Very pretty square- I like the one you chose. Can you imagine knitting a whole blanket out of that lightweight of a yarn? I would lose my mind I think. Either way I think t's pretty for the purpose and your friend will love it.

Sue- Doll outfits are looking cute Do you have snow there like we do? This is crazy in April. Oh and I meant to say I am reading The Boleyn Inheritance right now and liking it.

Dustina- Oh I love bookstores! I don't know what you should buy- what type of books do you like to read?

Jackie- Those clogs are cute, but I have to agree with everyone else, they would be quite warm.

Chris- Cool facts about the Scots. Lots in there I didn't know!

I finished Lucy's Kitty Pi last week and I forgot to post pictures. She loves it now and often curls up to sleep in it.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kittypi2.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	52340  Click image for larger version

Name:	Kittypi3.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	52341  

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

The Following User Says Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post:
The.Knitter (04-08-2009)
Closed Thread