Old 04-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #11
TEMA
Turning the Heel

Thanks everyone...
Thank you for all your input to this topic.
I can see there really isn't any 'one way' of doing things.
Knitting is an artform... sometimes you know exactly what you want and sometimes you just have to wing it...
I, too, have some yarn that I bot just so's I could get on with knitting and that stash is now sitting there and my dh wants to know how I can go buy more yarn when I haven't used up the stuff I have... LOL!
TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #12
bambi
Working the Gusset

I usually have a pattern then look for yarn. I would hate to start something and not have enough yarn to finish it.

If I fell in love with a yarn, I might get a skein and do a small specialty item like a scarf.
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bambi For This Useful Post:
TEMA (04-06-2009)
Old 04-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #13
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Plantgoddess+ View Post
Another reason to love socks. I've recently started buying yarn again and have a hard time spending a lot of money at one time for yarn. With sock yarn you can spend as little as $2 a skein and so can have a pair of socks for $4. I will stock up on sock yarn when I find colors I love or fibers that I find interesting. I can also shop locally and leave the yarn store for $10-15 and enough yarn for a project (more socks).
I have a lot of odds and ends of yarn in my stash from years ago when I bought all the yarn I've knit with for 30 years and am having difficulty coming up with a use for it.
You can use all the odds and ends to make a colorful blanket, log cabin or striped for charity or someone special, you can also make pet snuggles (sp?) for charity
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #14
Angieknits
Ribbing the Cuff

Plantgoddess, please tell me where you're getting sock yarn for 2 bucks! LOL the cheapest I've found other than online (and you have to order at least 50 bucks worth) is like 4.49 per skein or ball. With the exception of Bernat Sox from time to time I can get it for 6 bucks and it makes a pair.
Angieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #15
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Angieknits View Post
Plantgoddess, please tell me where you're getting sock yarn for 2 bucks! LOL the cheapest I've found other than online (and you have to order at least 50 bucks worth) is like 4.49 per skein or ball. With the exception of Bernat Sox from time to time I can get it for 6 bucks and it makes a pair.
I did get it online, at Knit Picks. The Palette yarn is $1.99 a skein. I ordered that when I ordered my Harmony interchangeables. I have since upgraded to superwash which is more expensive but for gift giving nicer I think.
Elann also had sale yarn Sock It To Me which is superwash for $2.30 a skein.
Angieknits (04-09-2009)