Old 04-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #11
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Originally Posted by cheley View Post
I do have "OTHER" Brands...I like Harmony Wood
I responding to your saying that you didn't want to screw them on. You CAN get the 17's in Harmony wood. You just have to screw them on. As long as you use the locking pin they work just like classic circs.

http://www.knitpicks.com/Options+Int...PNDETipWD.html

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #12
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
And really, trust me, the attaching of the needle tips is as easy as screwing the lid back onto the honey jar.
I think easier
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #13
cheley
Working the Gusset

OK, here's a bonus for using interchangeables:

When you're on the last row of something, and it's time to cast off: Keeping your live stitches on the left hand gauge needle, change the right hand needle to one size larger, or maybe even two sizes larger.

This makes a better bind off. No chance of being too tight or uneven. It's really a slick technique. Especially for those patterns that say bind off loosely. If I was knitting with a US8, I've been know to go up to a US10.5 for the bind off loosely. But all I had to do was change the needle tip on the right hand side.

Another bonus: if you are not supposed to bind off, but put the live stitches on a holder, or waste yarn...you don't have to do anything...just unscrew the needle tips, and screw on the 'end caps'. You can even wash (for blocking) the pieces with the cord in the live stitches.

I have lots of extra cables for this very reason. I leave cords in the live work til I get back to them.

KnitPicks have no 'catchiness' at the join. And really, trust me, the attaching of the needle tips is as easy as screwing the lid back onto the honey jar.
Yea, that's my point "catchiness"...I would hate to invest "more" $$$$$ for "more" needles (umm like I don't have enough already) and not like them....although I do have different finishes for obviously different yarns....If I could stick my bamboo ones in the pencil sharpener and get em pointy, I wouldn't be asking so many dumb questions or file down my addi circs..

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #14
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
Call me "old fashioned" but I don't think I would be comfortable screwing and un-screwing cables onto a needle
I'm with you, cheley. I don't like interchangables. I prefer fixed circulars, because of my arthritis. It hurts my hands to twist ANYTHING. I wish KnitPicks made longer fixed circulars too!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
cheley (04-12-2009)
Old 04-12-2009, 08:36 PM   #15
outdoordrea
Knitting the Flap

I have the Interchangeable Harmony Wood needle set and I *love* it! I've never had any of the cables catch on any of the yarn I've used (from acrylic to wool to cotton). I've made socks, bags, hats, scarves, and sweaters on them and never a problem. Plus, KnitPicks Customer Service is excellent. If you hate the needles, send them back.

Knitting Escapade
outdoordrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #16
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I've never had 'catches' on any of my KP interchangeables, neither on the metals or the wood.

Did I say I won 11 pairs of VINTAGE Boye circs off an Ebay auction last week? All metal except for one pair of white vinyls.
Oh, they are all just wonderful! And I needed the US13's for the collar of my Sylvi that very night!

I can't use KP OPTIONS or HARMONY'S with certain single ply yarns that split easily. I don't have ADDI 13's...and my Crystal Palace 13's are 32" length. A bit long for a collar.

Yipee! I used my new VINTAGE Boye 13's! They're a dream!
Paid $29 plus $5 shipping for the LOT of 11 sets.
That amounts to $3 a pair!
Had all kinds of sizes in the lot.

I like VINTAGE Boye better than VINTAGE Susan Bates.
And the cable, while a bit kinky right out of the box, worked real well. Didn't even need to soak it in hot water!

EBAY shops are always selling off "LOTS" of vintage circular needles. Either some old ladies are dying and these Ebayers are grabbing them up at estate sales, or, other knitters are dumping them into the Second Hand Stores because they are moving up to KnitPicks or Addis.

I don't dump any needles anywhere. I even kept my VINTAGE Boye straights. They sit in their own fabric needle case in a place of HONOR on my wicker yarn trunk. They served me well. They are enjoying their retirement.

But, when I die, I'll bet my girls will be tossing all my knitting needles into a Second Hand Store. They don't knit and don't appreciaate what I've invested into needles etc...and they're too busy to take the time to sell them on Ebay.

Some lucky girl that's only a baby now will prolly scoop up all my stuff! More power to her!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #17
cheley
Working the Gusset

I've never had 'catches' on any of my KP interchangeables, neither on the metals or the wood.

Did I say I won 11 pairs of VINTAGE Boye circs off an Ebay auction last week? All metal except for one pair of white vinyls.
Oh, they are all just wonderful! And I needed the US13's for the collar of my Sylvi that very night!

I can't use KP OPTIONS or HARMONY'S with certain single ply yarns that split easily. I don't have ADDI 13's...and my Crystal Palace 13's are 32" length. A bit long for a collar.

Yipee! I used my new VINTAGE Boye 13's! They're a dream!
Paid $29 plus $5 shipping for the LOT of 11 sets.
That amounts to $3 a pair!
Had all kinds of sizes in the lot.

I like VINTAGE Boye better than VINTAGE Susan Bates.
And the cable, while a bit kinky right out of the box, worked real well. Didn't even need to soak it in hot water!

EBAY shops are always selling off "LOTS" of vintage circular needles. Either some old ladies are dying and these Ebayers are grabbing them up at estate sales, or, other knitters are dumping them into the Second Hand Stores because they are moving up to KnitPicks or Addis.

I don't dump any needles anywhere. I even kept my VINTAGE Boye straights. They sit in their own fabric needle case in a place of HONOR on my wicker yarn trunk. They served me well. They are enjoying their retirement.

But, when I die, I'll bet my girls will be tossing all my knitting needles into a Second Hand Store. They don't knit and don't appreciaate what I've invested into needles etc...and they're too busy to take the time to sell them on Ebay.

Some lucky girl that's only a baby now will prolly scoop up all my stuff! More power to her!
All (except for my addi and Harmony) are "vintage".. I inherited quite the "lot" from my dear sweet Knit/Crochet Teacher..(in her memory I will never give them up) I have about 4 or 5 white plastic circs among my alums and plastic... (love em) I even have 14" plastic dpns!!!! Also, size 0 metal dpns, which she told me that many many years ago that's how they knit socks (she passed at age 93) I even have an "orignal" broomstick lace needle not to mention the crochet hooks..one is porcelain..I just stare at those and I am just in thinking what those needles made 60 or 80 years agoYou know what's really cool...I have a set of 4 Susan Bates "luxite" US 13-10" dpns in original package priced at $2.75..I am gonna take pics tomorrow of all my needles and post a pic....

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #18
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
That's the good thing about the older needles, they straightened right out once you started knitting with them.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:13 AM   #19
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I've never had any catchiness on my Options thank goodness. What I did was buy a set of tips and cables to see how I liked them. I did so I bought the set.

The main thing I didn't like about Boye was the cable, but there are obviously people who love them anyway.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:14 AM   #20
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
All (except for my addi and Harmony) are "vintage".. I inherited quite the "lot" from my dear sweet Knit/Crochet Teacher..(in her memory I will never give them up) I have about 4 or 5 white plastic circs among my alums and plastic... (love em) I even have 14" plastic dpns!!!! Also, size 0 metal dpns, which she told me that many many years ago that's how they knit socks (she passed at age 93) I even have an "orignal" broomstick lace needle not to mention the crochet hooks..one is porcelain..I just stare at those and I am just in thinking what those needles made 60 or 80 years agoYou know what's really cool...I have a set of 4 Susan Bates "luxite" US 13-10" dpns in original package priced at $2.75..I am gonna take pics tomorrow of all my needles and post a pic....
Can hardly wait to see them! Would love to see the SB Luxite dpns! WOW.

Yeah, I get all sentimental when I take my old straights out of their cloth case. A girl on EBAY sells needle cases for real cheap, but she does a really great job, too! Some cases for straights only, some for circs only, some for dpn's only, and some are COMBO cases. They'll hold a little of this and a little of that. If anyone wants her EBAY shop name, let me know. I'm sure she's still sewing! All of her fabrics are different. I bought all my cases in TOILE for the circs and dpn's. Different colors of TOILE. Then my straights are in a completely diff fabric.

My EBAY circs had all the original old packaging! Sigh. With price tags and stickers! A set of BOYE circs for $1.25? Shees. I kept all the vintage packaging, too!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote