Old 04-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #11
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

card
I love the card and the prices are good! People don't realize all the time and work that goes into making a handmade item. My family does and I bet yours do also and appreciate all you make for them. Walmart doesn't have the specialty yarns or better yarns we use!
Past Portfolio reviewer for Crochet Guild of America
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mathwizard For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (04-14-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #12
GinnyG
Instepping Out

What a great idea!!

I really get frustrated with people asking me to knit things for them. I wish I had the time because I love knitting and giving but most who ask really have no idea what time, effort and yes MONEY goes into a hand knitted item. I usually just laugh and say my knitting que is so long now I would be a very old woman before I got around to it. Which is true, last night I was looking at my binder of MUST KNIT patterns and realized I MUST STOP looking at patterns.
ArtLady1981 (04-14-2009)
Old 04-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #13
cindycactus
Turning the Heel

Great idea. Gonna make my card today. Thanks for the help.
The Following User Says Thank You to cindycactus For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (04-14-2009)
Old 04-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #14
swcheng15
Ribbing the Cuff

That's too funny. A related story, I have a coworker whose 90 yr old mother had been collecting yarn throughout her younger years. Apparently, bags and bags full in the garage. She found out that I knit, and I asked that since we (a couple of my coworkers and I) knit for donation, would her mom be willing to donate some of the yarn. She responds, "oh, that'd be great. But my mom would absolutely LOVE it if you made my dad a sweater." At that time, one of the knitters was standing there during the conversation. We looked at each other and said, "uh..." and kind of stopped. Needless to say, we haven't received any yarn, nor have we asked again. It's very difficult for those who don't knit to understand how much time it takes to actually make something. In many ways, unless you give a hand knitted gift to someone who knits themselves, the recipient won't truly understand the significance of the gift itself.

Sab
Check out my blog at www.xanga.com/swcheng15

swcheng15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swcheng15 For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (04-14-2009)
Old 04-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by swcheng15 View Post
In many ways, unless you give a hand knitted gift to someone who knits themselves, the recipient won't truly understand the significance of the gift itself.

SO TRUE!

I don't knit for money, nor do I really want to, but IF a very well-heeled person wanted to hire me, I'd try it. But not for chump change.

The only problem I could foresee with knitting for money is picky, OCD, needy customers. My brother is a contractor, mostly home remodels, and I get an EARFUL from him about customer relations...enough to fill an encyclopedia with the do's and don'ts! I don't wanna be one of the dummies on Judge Judy!

I knit out of love, and give it away for free!

My recipients don't have a clue about the money and the time that goes into my handknits, but all my recipients APPRECIATE my knits so much, it is better than any amount of money!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:34 PM   #16
GirlChris
Turning the Heel

So True, so True!

My little pumkpin hats are usually a real hit and whoever I have given them to they always say I should sell them due to all the compliments their little pumpkin gets wearing it. It is very flattering ad makes me feels good to hear that. Well I worked it out one time and I'm not the fastest knitter alive (especially with one husband and 3 kids distracting me LOL) so it takes me a good 10 hours a hat. Even at minimum wage that's $70. Or how about "babysitting" wage that's $50. That is not including yarn. But let's say I used very simple inexpensive polyester yarn, anybody want to shell out $50 for a polyester baby hat? LOL
In the LYS the other day a customer was complaing about how she would have to charge $40 for her pair of socks if she bought the yarn the lady was recommending. She went on and on "who's gonna buy them?" I felt so sorry for the worker, she asked her the best yarn for socks and she was just telling her.
GirlChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:20 AM   #17
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Yes, I do agree with you! Babysitting would be more profitable than knitting!

I've always told my friends who say I should sell my knitting:
"I knit for love, I sell ART for a paycheck!"

And believe me, I sometimes think the ART CONSULTANT (that's me) makes more money per piece of art than the most talented artist does. That is another vocation that is entirely underpaid as a whole!

Not many make it to the big time in their lifetime!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:16 AM   #18
Mike
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GirlChris View Post
In the LYS the other day a customer was complaing about how she would have to charge $40 for her pair of socks if she bought the yarn the lady was recommending. She went on and on "who's gonna buy them?" I felt so sorry for the worker, she asked her the best yarn for socks and she was just telling her.
If she would have to charge LESS than $40 per sock not including yarn she must not value her time at all.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:35 AM   #19
wezyus
Turning the Heel

What's a brilliant idea, Artlady, thnsk for sharing it
Old 04-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #20
chj
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
I knit out of love, and give it away for free!

My recipients don't have a clue about the money and the time that goes into my handknits, but all my recipients APPRECIATE my knits so much, it is better than any amount of money!
I totally agree with you!! I don't think I could do anything for hire, I'd worry too much about it being "just right".

A funny story, though - many years ago (mid 1980's) a friend asked me to knit a sweater for her from a pattern she saw and liked. I told her I would. She bought the yarn which was VERY expensive, and I ended up needing even more, and I think it ended up being over $100 back then. I remember knitting the thing, and being really unhappy with the way it turned out, and thinking that if I were her I would never wear it. I only see her now every couple of years or so, and when I saw her a few months ago, she reminded me of that sweater, and told me she was still wearing it!! Good grief! Turns out she thought it was wonderful, and she loved it! I don't even remember her saying much to me at the time. I guess I was feeling too guilty because I didn't think I had done such a good job. I guess you just never know!

Addicted to knitting...
chj is offline   Reply With Quote