Old 04-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
Mominpink
Casting On

Need more help with vest shaping
Hi Everyone! I'm still working on my vest and have gotten to the reverse shaping part. Here's my question--
If this is how my instructions read for the left front of my vestů
Shape armhole & neck: Next row (RS): Bind off first 10 sts for armhole, k to within last 3 sts, k2tog, k 1 for neck dec. Dec 1 st at armhole edge on next row (SSP), then every other row 9 more times; AT THE SAME TIME, cont to rep neck dec every 4th row (on RS row) 17 more times -- 28 sts.
Would the reverse shaping for the right front be like this?
ROW 1 (WS): Bind off first 10 sts for armhole, P to within last 3 sts, SSP, P 1 for neck dec.
ROW 2: Dec 1 st at armhole edge on next ROW (K2TOG)
ROW 3: Purl
ROW 4: K2TOG
ROW 5: P to within last 3 sts, SSP, P 1 for neck dec.
ROW 6: K2TOG
ROW 7: Purl
ROW 8: SSP, P1
Could someone help me out here? Am I on the right track?
Mominpink is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
astonh
Turning the Heel

I've not done reverse shaping (but am about to have to so interested in what someone who KNOWS says) but I thought it would mean that on the right front it would be:
Row1 (RS): k1, k2tog, knit to last 10 sts, BO last 10 sts
...Row4 (WS) just purl the row
Row5 (RS): k1, k2tog, knit rest of sts (this would be the 4th row after the last nec decrease)

I may be way off so take this with a grain of sand. I just wanted to put out what I was thinking so maybe we can both get help.

FO: Garter Stitch Baby Kimono, Baby Roots Cardigan, Knitted Baby Hat, Custom Adjustable Felted Guitar Strap, Flirtation Cozy, Modified Knit Coffee Sleeve, Scarf, My So-Called Scarf, Baby Converse Shoes, Balaclava, Various Dish/Wash Cloths

www.trowelanderror.blogspot.com
Oh...and I'm heajames on Ravelry
astonh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to astonh For This Useful Post:
Mominpink (04-17-2009)
Old 04-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Mominpink, you have the right idea. You do the BO on the WS like you said and at the end of the row dec 1 for the neck. And then on all the even rows (RS) you work a K2tog at the end where you did the 10 BO sts (until you have done the underarm deceases 9 more times). At the same time on every 4th row do the decrease for the neck side.

You are right on the first one, it would be on row 5, and it will always fall on a WS row. I'm not sure you counted right on the next decrease that you have for row 8. It would be on row 9. Row 8 will be a knit row and you want it on the next row. (you had two purl rows one after another-7&8)

Your decrease for the neck edge will always be on a WS row and at the far end of it like it was on row 1 when you did the first neck decrease.

The underarm is easy just every other row at the far end where the big BO was. On the neck edge do the first decrease, then count 3 rows (I like to make hash marks on paper) and do the decrease on the next row (the 4th).
Old 04-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Mominpink
Casting On

Thank you both for your help. MerigoldinWA thanks for reviewing it over for me. It was driving me crazy but now I think I've got it!
Mominpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
astonh, You can't BO at the end of a row. You only bind off at the beginning of a row and you can bind off in the middle of a row and then work more stitches. If you bind off at the end of a row you end up with an isolated stitch from the bind off that you don't know what to do with and you can't continue knitting because the working yarn is not near any live stitches anymore. (The minute I say "you can't" someone will know of an exception, but as a rule that is true.)
Old 04-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I ran into a pattern which I checked with the designer and you do BO at the end of a row. It was for shaping and you didn't knit on that piece anymore. Yep, there's always an exception....

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote