Old 04-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
Dishrag
Casting On

Misti alpaca/silk blend for a hat??
Oh shoot! I think the lady at the LYS led me astray.

I just found out a friend is having chemo, so I rushed to the yarn shop all frazzled, with a lovely chemo cap pattern in hand. The hat is stockinette, based on the pi shawl concept. It has a lovely bit of poof to it, and the band is done in garter stitch (perpendicular to the body of the hat).

I put myself in the woman's hands. Told her I had never knit a hat before (but do socks, so not problem using dpns), needed something incredibly soft and beautiful, and with a close gauge. She gave me the Misti alpaca blend (which she never used before). Said that alpaca stretches, but blended with silk would probably be ok.

I've started the hat. I was just reading one of my knitting books, and came across a chart comparing fibers. It lists both alpaca and silk as having no memory at all.

Oh shoot. I've got 20$ worth of the softest yarn I have ever felt in my life (This is my first experience with luxury yarn, and it is like knitting with angels breath!), and I don't think it will work. Shoot!

What do you think?

Options?

1. Change the band to ribbing, rather than perpendicular garter? If I do this, which ribbing would be the tightest?

2. Go down a needle size or 2 for the garter band?

3. Add elastic to the garter band? I've never used elastic...

What a bummer. I know the shop owner isn't going to be familiar with every particular yarn she sells. But this is a very emotional experience for me. I went in with my voice breaking, and told her to just sell me whatever would be the best (price irrelevant). But I think what I got is not just a slight miss, but totally inappropriate for a snug fitting chemo cap!!

(If I need a different yarn, I'm not sure i want to go back there again. Or is that too grouchy of me? I'm just so disappointed.)

Thank you so much for your help!

Francy
Dishrag is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Freyja
Knitting the Flap

I did claudia in misti alpaca (no silk) and it has a great memory.

...... ............
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote