View Poll Results: How Much Stash Do YOU Wish To Have?
Stash is good. The more the merrier! 25 69.44%
I like the little or no stash idea. 5 13.89%
I have little or no stash already. 8 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Working Toward Having Little Stash
I understand the need to stash, I used to do it with fabrics too. So did my mother. After she moved in with us a couple of years ago, and I saw the TONS of fabric she had, some of it I remember from childhood (!) I made a conscious decision NOT to bein that position yarn-stash wise.

I heard an interesting concept......having enough stash only for the projects you are working on or about to start. Seriously start that is, not just queued!

I haven't been knitting long and my stash is not that big. I've already gotten rid of stuff that I really didn't like anyway, the impulse buys, the stuff I've used and didn't like so why save it anyway, etc. In fact, I am on a mission to regularly (every 6 months or so) re-assess my stash and destash again and again until I'm down to what I really LOVE and know I will use.

I'm donating my stash to a church which is sending it to their knitters in missions around the world (the Russians missionaries really appreciate it). Likewise there are women's shelter's (I've donated there too) who need yarn and needles to teach them, etc. But I digress........

How do you feel about having little or no stash?
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
If I have yarn I don't care to use for me personally I use it for charity. The only yarn I've tossed or given away was really crappy yarn that was hard to knit with or so bad I'd feel guilty even using it for charity. (this has generally been yarn that was given to me)

As for your first comment..only having enough for what's on the needles or for soon to be cast on projects..uhh.. I don't like that idea. I like to have yarn to dream with.."someday I'll use this to make a sweater", etc. I don't do that often, but it happens. And I like to have yarn available for quick projects like hats, chemo caps, mitts, etc.

One thing I've learned in my 3.5 yrs of knitting and I can tell from reading the forums that some members haven't learned this yet - never buy just ONE skein of anything unless it has a lot of yardage..like over 250 yds! Seriously! Unless you really want a lot of i-pod cozies you need more than that for even a simple scarf most of the time. I always buy at least two now and more if I think I'm really going to like it or have a project in mind.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
luvmykid28 (05-01-2009)
Old 04-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
JasminJaquine
Casting On

*Begin Rambling*
I've fallen in love with yarn, especially lately now that I'm really getting time to make more things and just relax. I've learned which projects I can do while watching TV and which ones I just need music as background so I can concentrate (Grrrr....Gio's Scarf!).

I have been attempting to keep my stash small, but...I see pretty yarns and I just can't resist. Or sales...I'm a sucker for sales. My main reason for a smaller stash is that I don't knit all that quickly.

But I also do the reorganization task every few months. I am anal retentive when it comes to organization, so things get reprioritized and placed in the proper cubes (my main sorting system), but if there is a yarn that I picked up and just love, but have no idea what to do with, it ends up piled with one of my Eeyores to guard till it speaks to me.

But I love yarn and would stash all I could, if....a certain BF would let me.
*End Rambling.*
JasminJaquine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

When I first started knitting, the more yarn in every shape, size and color, the better! But, now, I've really narrowed down to knitting socks. All the other yarn I have is hardly ever used.

My wonderful sister gave me a bunch of yarn a few christmases ago which I will never use. I can't blame her - she didn't know any better and got me a bunch of Red Heart yarn, worsted weight. I've tried knitting with it, but I just don't like it. That needs to get gone along with a lot of other bits and pieces that I'll never use. For some reason I can't seem to just get up the nerve and chuck the garbage and give away the decent stuff. That should be a project soon.

But, I would really like a beautiful cubby-holed wall full of sock yarn in every kind and color. Maybe I can convince the hubby that it would be "functional art".
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by JasminJaquine View Post
I have been attempting to keep my stash small, but...I see pretty yarns and I just can't resist. Or sales...I'm a sucker for sales.
Sales don't count ......there's just NO way I can pass up yarn that I would have paid say $5/skein on clearance for $1.........true story.....went into Michael's to returns something, told lady I was on a yarn diet, she tells me there's a sale on yarn, I go back there and return to sale cashier with $30+ of yarn......BUT it would have cost $100 or more if not on sale!

Old 04-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
JasminJaquine
Casting On

Originally Posted by Arielluria View Post
Sales don't count ......there's just NO way I can pass up yarn that I would have paid say $5/skein on clearance for $1.........true story.....went into Michael's to returns something, told lady I was on a yarn diet, she tells me there's a sale on yarn, I go back there and return to sale cashier with $30+ of yarn......BUT it would have cost $100 or more if not on sale!

Sales don't count! Can I get this in writing and certified to explain to the BF that any yarn I buy on sale does not count?

*lol* Yeah, but other than stashing up when I see sales, I am along the lines of keeping things a little on the small side. Plus I make very good use of my coupons I get for Michael's and Joann's.
Faults: I Ramble....a lot!
OTN: Girl Friday Cardigan
Last FO's: Sunny Citron Shawl, Andrea's Shawl
JasminJaquine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
Arielluria
Instepping Out

It might help to take the BF to an LYS. When I took mine and he saw 1 skein of sock yarn for $17 (I would have needed 2 for my size 7 feet), he blurted out in the LYS "That's expensive! Can't you MAKE this stuff?!?" To which I replied, "actually yes, and I've been meaning to ask for a wheel"

Moral of the story, compared to LYS prices, your BF will love your going to chain stores. Mine has a Michael's near his work, and I had to tell him to STOP bringing me a couple of skeins of yarn every other week.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I love my stash and am not ashamed to admit it. I don't spend money on any other extravagances, no high end purses, shoes or clothes. I am very frugal in most areas of life and even when it comes to yarn I NEVER pay full price.

It gives me joy to know that if I decide on a Sat monring that I must make a pair of mittens I can pluck the yarn out of my stash. Yes, I have made some poor choices in yarn but that's the prefect yarn to give to someone learning to knit or to use for charity projects.

Recently I was desperately searching for a pattern, found someone who had it and traded a skein of my beloved Schaefer for it.
Yes, when I die my kids will most likely have a mountain of yarn to deal with but hopefully they will donate it to a worhty cause or have a wonderful yard sale and sell my high end fiber at a low end price and many knitters will dance with joy.

In the meantime, when and if I am ever able to retire I will have enough yarn to take me well into old age.

So for me a stash is a win win proposition. But that does not mean that it's for EVERYONE.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
Craw
Knitting the Flap

I'm all for the idea of reorganizing and getting rid of the stuff I don't like or won't use. I have a mess of Red Heart SS that I don't like and probably won't use but people keep giving me that stuff and I can't say no without some hurt feelings. I'd still like some stash but a smaller one of only what I really love, and it ain't Red Heart. If I keep the stash small, then I could remember what project I planned when I purchased a yarn. As it stands, by the time I get to using the yarn, I forget what I wanted to do with it. Some day I am gonna box up all this acrylic and let it go on ebay for whatever I can get for it. Yeah, some day!
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I have knit from my stash for almost 30 years without a new purchase. I am down to yarn I don't know what to do with right now and so have made a few purchases since joining KH ( you guys are such enablers). I would love to be able to afford to build my stash back up again, but find myself knitting up what I buy pretty quickly.