Old 04-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
albertanfarmgirl
Casting On

Help! This Pattern Makes No Sense!
I found this gorgeous pattern for a knitted afghan, but I am completely lost on what I am supposed to be doing. Would someone be able to descifer it for me, please?

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/proj..._knitproj.html

Thank you!
albertanfarmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You cast on and work each panel separately, then sew them together and weave yarns through the 'holes' that are created in the cables. There's 2 stitch patterns that are worked over different parts of each strip, alternating on a row. For example, the Outside Panel has you work edge sts, then the first row of pattern 2 over 8 sts, then do pattern 1 over the rest of the row, and then edge sts. On the next row, you do Row 2 of both patterns as stated in the instructions.

That's more or less re-stating what the pattern says - what are you confused by? If you CO it will probably be a lot easier to see what goes where than trying to visualize it. You could also rewrite it and put each section of the row on separate lines, maybe that would help you.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
albertanfarmgirl
Casting On

Anything that is troubling me is in red; some of the instructions, as at the ends of all three panels, are rather confusing.

Pattern 1: Worked on a multiple of 4 stitches.
Rows 1 and 3: Wrong side, P.
Row 2: *K2, P2 together, leave original stitches on left-hand needle, p the first stitch of the 2 taken together, slip the 2 original stitches from needle (called a purl twist 2); repeat from * across.
Row 4: * Purl twist 2, k 2; repeat from * across. Repeat these 4 rows for Pattern 1.

(Why are the only rows used of both patterns Rows 1 and 2? What colour is each pattern supposed to be?)

Pattern 2: Cable worked over 8 stitches.
Rows 1, 3, 5, 7, 9: Wrong side. K1, p6, k1. Row 2: P1, slip next 3 stitches to dpn, hold in front of work, k3, k3 from dpn, p1. (What does dpn mean?)
Rows 4, 6, 8, 10: P1, k6, p1.
Repeat these 10 rows for Pattern 2.

Afghan: Outside Panel 1: With MC, cast on 67 stitches.
Row 1: Wrong side. K2; work Row 1 of Pattern 2 over 8 stitches; k2; work Row 1 of Pattern 1 over 44 stitches; k2, work Row 1 of Pattern over 8 stitches; k1.
Row 2: K1; work Row 2 of Pattern 2 over 8 stitches; k2; work Row 2 of Pattern 1 over 44 stitches; k2; work Row 2 of Pattern 2 over 8 stitches; k2. Keeping to patterns as established, work stitches between patterns and at each edge in Garter Stitch (k every row). Work until approximately 68 inches from beginning, ending with Row 2 of Pattern 2. Bind off on wrong side.
Outside Panel 2: With MC cast on 67 stitches.
Row 1: Wrong side. K1; work Row 1 of Pattern 2 over 8 stitches; k2; work Row 1 of Pattern 1 over 44 stitches; k2; work Row 1 of Pattern 2 over 8 stitches; k2.
Row 2: K2; work Row 2 of Pattern 2 over 8 stitches; k2; work Row 2 of pattern 1 over 44 stitches; k2; work Row 2 of Pattern 2 over 8 stitches; k1. Keeping to patterns as established, work stitches between patterns and at each edge in Garter Stitch. Complete as for Outside Panel 1. Note: k1 garter st is placed at each outside edge.
Center Panel: With MC cast on 110 stitches.
Row 1: Wrong side. K1; work Row 1 of Pattern 1 over 20 stitches; k2; work Row 1 of Pattern 2 over 8 stitches; k2; work Row 1 of Pattern 1 over 44 stitches; k2; work Row 1 of Pattern 2 over 8 stitches; k2; work Row 1 of pattern 1 over 20 stitches; k1.
Row 2: K1; work Row 2 of Pattern 1 over 20 stitches; k2; work Row 2 of Pattern 2 over 8 stitches; k2; work Row 2 of pattern 1 over 44 stitches; k2; work Row 2 of Pattern 2 over 8 stitches; k2; work Row 2 of Pattern 1 over 20 stitches; k1. Keeping to patterns as established, working stitches between patterns and at each edge in Garter Stitch, work to same length as side panels.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Quote:
Why are the only rows used of both patterns Rows 1 and 2? What colour is each pattern supposed to be?)
There's 4 rows to the pattern, 1 and 3 are the same, p the WS rows with edge sts in garter. 2 and 4 are slightly different; while they both have purl twists, they're over different sts in the row. You work all the panels in one color, only the borders are worked in the other colors.

A dpn is a double ponted needle; you can also use a short cable needle, a skewer, a straigtened paper clip - anything short and straight to hold the sts on for a minute.

The panel instructions have you work the edge sts (outside the cable pattern) in garter stitch. Also the sts between the cables are to be worked in garter - knit on both sides. So maybe you wouldn't purl the WS rows after all. I can't see the detail of the blanket well enough to tell if that's the case.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
TooCircular
Knitting the Flap

Quote:
*K2, P2 together, leave original stitches on left-hand needle, p the first stitch of the 2 taken together, slip the 2 original stitches from needle (called a purl twist 2); repeat from * across.
I think this means to knit two separate stitches like you normally would, but then when you P2 together, do just that~~ P2 together but don't slip it off the needle like you normally would.... instead purl again in the first stitch of the two then slip both stitches off the needle.

Hope this helps,
Jan
TooCircular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
albertanfarmgirl
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
There's 4 rows to the pattern, 1 and 3 are the same, p the WS rows with edge sts in garter. 2 and 4 are slightly different; while they both have purl twists, they're over different sts in the row. You work all the panels in one color, only the borders are worked in the other colors.

A dpn is a double ponted needle; you can also use a short cable needle, a skewer, a straigtened paper clip - anything short and straight to hold the sts on for a minute.

The panel instructions have you work the edge sts (outside the cable pattern) in garter stitch. Also the sts between the cables are to be worked in garter - knit on both sides. So maybe you wouldn't purl the WS rows after all. I can't see the detail of the blanket well enough to tell if that's the case.
What are the borders?
Thanks for your help, Ariana

Thanks Jan, that does make a lot more sense!
Ariana
Old 05-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

The borders are added on later after you get the panels sewed together, crocheted it seems. Look below the Finishing instructions.