Old 05-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
NorthernIrelandKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Update
I gave the cotton wash cloth to my sister. She liked it very much. At first she said she probably would use it as a wash cloth, but then she said she would prefer a more neutral colour for that. So, I told her to use it the way she sees best and offered to do her one in white. She didn't say yes or no to the offer, but I think I'll do a white one anyway. Anyone know how you would make the cloth bigger?

I am also having some fun with knitting a double-knit hat for my daughter. I am adapting a pattern which uses 2 straight needles. I love double-knitting and am pleased with how this is turning out.

I have the pieces of my shrug at long last, but the make-up instructions are rather vague and I may have to take the lot to the yarn shop and seek advice there.

In the meantime I've returned to my lacey look cardigan in lilac. Have done the back and am working on the right side now.

All the best with whatever your wip is at the moment!

Gillian
NorthernIrelandKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
To make the cloth bigger, you can just increase the amount of stitches. What kind of pattern did you use?
Old 05-04-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
NorthernIrelandKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

It's a round cloth, knit on 2 straight needles, Jenelle. Here is a link to the pattern: http://www.mielkesfarm.com/dishclth.htm.

Gillian
NorthernIrelandKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernIrelandKnitter For This Useful Post:
OffJumpsJack (05-04-2009)
Old 05-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Pattern requires adjusting row repeats if adding stitches.
Originally Posted by NorthernIrelandKnitter View Post
It's a round cloth, knit on 2 straight needles, Jenelle. Here is a link to the pattern: http://www.mielkesfarm.com/dishclth.htm.

Gillian

It seems to me you couldn't just increase the CO sts without increasing the number of row repeats you do. That pattern has a six row repeat (rows 8, 14, and 20) are the only ones that begin with a bind off. So you could add three stitches and six rows to the pattern and it should work out. It would add six stitches to your total width of the cloth. I think that pattern increase could work, and you should be able to repeat it to add more stitches (in groups of three) but I'd have to try it before asking someone else to test it.

An easier way to increase the size would be to use larger needles and a heavier yarn. If your first cloth was knit with worsted weight cotton on number 8 needles (follow this for conversion from US weight and size) then you could use two strands of the same weight yarn and step your needle size up to match.

Good luck

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.

Last edited by OffJumpsJack : 05-04-2009 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Because I'm not perfect... yet.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
I am going to have to agree with jack, the simplest way of increasing the size would to use a larger needle size(say a nine or a ten) or loosen your tension.