Old 05-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
margz3
Working the Gusset

It's Cursed!!
For a month now I have been trying to make my first pair of socks. I think the yarn is cursed! I purchased it a year ago but didn't feel confident enough to try making socks. But after making a couple of berets and being forced to use dpns, I thought - sure, I can do this now!

So...... I found a pattern and cast on. Made it through the ribbing and started the lace pattern. Got a ways into it and realized I was knitting it inside out. No biggie, just flip it! Flipped it.....saw too many mistakes and decided to Set it aside for a few days and thought I would try an "easier" pattern. Ribbing fine, not knitting inside out, screwed up the pattern and again Back to first pattern, same deal!

Last night I cast of for an even easier lace pattern (now mind you, it is just simple yo's, ssk's, etc) Got through the ribbing, into pattern and once again.....messed up!

Why is it that I can't seem to follow a pattern when dpn's are thrown in! They are NOT difficult to work with - I get the concept! I guess I will have to do a basic St St pattern :( Maybe try magic loop or 2 circs? Or give up on socks....or maybe my pretty yarn is cursed for this project!

Thanks for listening - just needed to vent!

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

margz3 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Okay, first of all, what weight of yarn are you using? I think the best yarn for any new sock knitter is at least a sport weight. I made my first pair out of sock weight and I would have said they were cursed too.

Also, you're right, perhaps you should start out with a plain stockinette stitch pattern. Not that you can't knit fancy socks, but it will be easier once you get the basic idea of a sock down and are confident in yourself.

You can do it!

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post:
margz3 (05-05-2009)
Old 05-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
HollyP
Working the Gusset

I would stick to a simpler sock in a larger weight yarn for a first pair. Silver's sock class is a great tutorial site. Knit picks has a free pattern for 2 at once magic loop socks . My first socks were knit with the knit picks pattern. It is fairly easy to understand and you get both sock done so no Second Sock Syndrome(SSS).
Good luck! Sock knitting is not for everyone but those people who like it really love it!

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HollyP For This Useful Post:
margz3 (05-05-2009)
Old 05-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,796 Times in 7,157 Posts
Originally Posted by HollyP View Post
I would stick to a simpler sock in a larger weight yarn for a first pair. Silver's sock class is a great tutorial site.
I agree. There is enough going on in a sock that doing a plain stockinette stitch one is a good idea for a first one. Once you learn the mechanics of a sock then try a more difficult pattern.

Also.. a lifeline is a tremendous help on lace patterns.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
margz3 (05-05-2009)
Old 05-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
margz3
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I agree. There is enough going on in a sock that doing a plain stockinette stitch one is a good idea for a first one. Once you learn the mechanics of a sock then try a more difficult pattern.

I am using Silvers - big help! I probably should have started with a sport or worsted weight, not the fingering weight that I have, but I have used this weight for other lace projects without any issue. I get the workings of the dpns, but for some reason I am either adding or dropping sts while working along (although I didn't do this with my first attempt - the pattern part was mostly fine - just my own stupid mistakes!) I never even made it to the heel/gusset/toe!

Jan, I tried putting a life line in and got frustrated - probably because I was using such small dpns. Maybe I was doing it wrong. That began #2!!

My problem is now that I am stubborn and WANT TO MAKE SOCKS WITH THE SOCK YARN I HAVE!

DH will be working all weekend - maybe I can find some nice, quiet time to really concentrate on this project. I do think I will try either 2 circs or magic loop though - maybe I will have an easier time of it. I don't like the way the dpns seem to get in my way while knitting

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

Old 05-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I prefer two circs over ML. I always know which needle I'm on and they are easy to put down or carry with you. With ML I was often confused and had problems with the heel. Since a lot of people do it just fine it was probably just me. You do needle sets instead of one, but who can't use extra needles?!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 05-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
margz3
Working the Gusset

I prefer two circs over ML. I always know which needle I'm on and they are easy to put down or carry with you. With ML I was often confused and had problems with the heel. Since a lot of people do it just fine it was probably just me. You do needle sets instead of one, but who can't use extra needles?!
I think I said something like that to a response in Artlady's post about the Harmony straights

A year ago when I first bought the yarn, a woman I work with told me to try it on 2 circs, so I actually have them. I think I am going to try this method first and if I have no luck there, go to ML. If nothing works, I need to find another use for the yarn lol!

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

Old 05-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Silver has a tutorial for a two circ toe up sock. Here's another simple one that is top down.

All sock patterns and methods are a little fiddly when it comes to the gusset, but stick with it and you'll do fine.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
pinktoque (05-05-2009)
Old 05-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by HollyP View Post
Silver's sock class is a great tutorial site.
I started with this too!!!

Jan has told me this, like, a GAZILLION times!! Totally recommended!
knittingymnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

I think one big huge help when you have to mark rounds in a sock pattern is to put a strand of contrasting color yarn between the last st. and the first st of the new round.

Then just weave this strand in and out as you start new rows. Makes a wonderful quick visual when to stop one pattern row and go to the next.

Then when you're done, just pull out the strand. Simple!

It's also a great idea to keep a copy of the pattern with you and tick off each row of the pattern stitch.

Hope this helps - and GOOD LUCK!

Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DorothyDot For This Useful Post:
margz3 (05-06-2009)