View Poll Results: Which is harder: knitting or crocheting?
knitting - I can't do a simple knit Y.Y 0 0%
knitting - I can't do cabling nor double sided knit Y.Y 4 8.70%
crocheting - I can't do a simple chain Y.Y 6 13.04%
crocheting - I can't do a shell nor a popcorn crochet Y.Y 11 23.91%
all of the above 1 2.17%
none of the above 26 56.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #21
blessedtosew
1st Leg of the Journey

For me, knitting was harder to learn initially. I am still learning as I have only been doing it for about 3 months. I caught onto crochet pretty well initially, but getting the knit and purl stitches almost did me in. I vowed to quit, but I just can't let anything beat me, so I picked it up again and started taking it slowly. Now I am on my 3rd project and am having fun.
blessedtosew is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #22
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I first learned the bare basics of knit and then didn't do it again for a a couple years. Then I learned to both knit and crochet again and did more crochet.

I find crochet easier in understanding how to shape things, but I don't know if you can do the things with shaping that you can in knitting. Of course crochet is faster so that is a plus.

If I had a 5 year old child I was going to try to teach one of these crafts I would teach knitting. With crocheting you need to be able to hold the yarn a certain way to get it to work very well but if you teach English style knitting that part is very easy. An older child might like crochet better because they can get a finished product faster.

I like knitting better now and find it easier on my hands. But both crafts have a lot you can do with them when you get past the basics. Endless possibilities with both. Beautiful things with both. Both good to know.

I find I have more trouble understanding written crochet directions than knit directions, but that could just be because I have more experience with reading knit patterns.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #23
jdee
Working the Gusset

I voted none of the above, because once your learn them, neither one is any easier than the other.

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
jdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:20 PM   #24
heatherg23
Knitting the Flap

Knitting by far!!!
It took me over a month to "get" knitting. I learned how to crochet and started making things in 4 hours.
I knitted first, then learned crochet.

Crochet Patterns and Videos
http://crochetpatterns09.blogspot.com/
heatherg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #25
albertpollard
1st Leg of the Journey

Knit or Crochet
I crocheted for a long time but was always dissatisfied with the lack of CLOTHING patterns, so I took up knitting.
I find that both offer a wide variety of unique looks by varying the basic stitch.
Crochet is much easier to if you are error prone, but taking out 20 rows is heartbreaking no matter which you are doing.
I will probably still crochet the occasional afghan or a project that catches my eye but for right now knitting is my game.
Of course, all I have done are sweaters so I'll have to try some different types of projects.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #26
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
My granny tried to teach me crochet as a child as she knew I loved knitting, and she preferred crochet. I just couldn't get the tension, all my circular things tuned into cones, and I was never sure which loop I was supposed to be going into.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #27
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I can do both, but I can't follow a crochet pattern because I don't know how the stitches I know match up to the terms in the patterns.

I keep meaning to take some time to learn it, but I'm so wrapped up in my knitting projects that I haven't taken the time yet.

I enjoy both and find them equally challenging.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote