Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
Snausages
Casting On

Hello from England!
Hi! I'm pretty much brand new to knitting (my mother taught me about 6 weeks ago) and definitely brand new to this forum. And I love both! Y'all seem so helpful!

So far, I have (almost) completed two projects. I bought loads of a wool/acrylic blend - it was super cheap at my local craft store, and I loved the dark British Racing Green colour) and knitted first - a ribbed scarf, approximately 5ft long, in k2 p2, and I am coming to the end of an afghan in a pattern I kind of made up after getting my stitches wrong (it's ended up being k5 p5 on rows 1-5, k1 on row 6 and then p5 k5 on rows 7-11, all the way along). I love the pretty patterns you can make, and am so excited to finish this off over the weekend and start something new!

I have found this BEAUTIFUL free pattern online http://www.vogueknitting.com/charts/...5/Plymouth.pdf and although I know it'll take me about 2 years to make, I really want to start it! My issue is trying to decipher the pattern instructions. It is so complicated! I've tried looking for glossaries, so I know that k2tog means knit two together, St st is stockingette stitch but, when I look at the pattern, I just want to cry - I'll never be able to do that!
Snausages is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

Hi and welcome!

That is a really neat pattern. YES you CAN knit it! All you need to do is get started, and go to the "how to" section of the forum and post what you're confused about. We'll help you!

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
knitasha
Turning the Heel

Just note that the skinny model is wearing a sweater knit in size 2X-3X, the larger of the two available sizes. That's what gives it the oversized look. Check the measurements of the different sizes carefully to decide whether you want the sweater to fit more traditionally or whether you want to really super-size it.

If you haven't done cables or broken ribs before, take a little time to make some practice swatches before you launch into the full sweater. But yes, I think you can do it. In spite of all that texture, it's not a complicated sweater. The shaping is done by changing needle sizes, without a lot of increasing and decreasing.There aren't any fancy necklines or openings and the raglan sleeves are one of the easier sleeves to knit. So take it slowly and go for it.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

Hi, Snausages..welcome to KH. That sweater is gorgeous and yes, you can knit it. Do it the same way you'd eat an elephant...one bite at a time. And, any questions you have can get answered here.
I will be going to England next Tuesday! Flying into Manchester and will be staying in Derby for 2 weeks. I think we'll be going to London for a couple of days doing the tourist thing. I cannot wait! This will be my first ever time going overseas and I'm so excited. I'm taking 2 suitcases partially filled because I plan on loading up on some nice wool while I'm there. I'd be glad to help you if it were possible. But, I'm sure you can find answers here if you get stuck.
How's the weather this time of year?
Sknitter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
Vertigo1414
Knitting the Flap

hi! i'm a bit of a novice too, and i've noticed that alot of pattens look more daunting then they are. i've passed up on doing things cause it looked hard only to come back to it later and realize it wasn't too bad.
Northeast Oddball Baby Blankets
Oddball Pet Snuggles

Vertigo's Knits-My blog
Vertigo1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:03 AM   #6
Snausages
Casting On

Thanks, guys, for all your input! I'm not delaying, just ordering the yarn from the US as I seem unable to buy the recommended yarn here. It seems silly to embark on such a project and not do it properly! I'm sure after casting on I'll be on here asking for help!

Thanks, Knitasha - I guessed that she was wearing a huge size for her teeny tiny frame! I'm looking to go for the big size so it's all floppy
Snausages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #7
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
You might be able to substitute a European yarn of the same weight and composition, although I can't seem to find another yarn online that has both silk and llama in it
Old 05-19-2009, 08:08 AM   #8
dreamingintx
Ribbing the Cuff

Hello from Derbyshire!

I'd love to help you with your knitting but I can't read a pattern yet either!!
dreamingintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #9
Irishmam
1st Leg of the Journey

Another European novice knitter here just to say hello. I am also a Brit but living in Ireland.
Irishmam is offline   Reply With Quote