Old 05-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
zoecloe
Casting On

How to match both socks
I have a knitting pattern that says to match both socks by "the first sock is knit with center cables worked over 3rd and 4th knit ribs.
Work 2nd sock with cables worked over 4th and 5th knit ribs.

Does this mean to shift the pattern over to center the cable between knit rib 4 and 5? Would this shift it too much? I got no response from the designer.
zoecloe is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-25-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Well, it doesn't say between knit rib 4 and 5 but over those ribs. I don't know how many cables you have but it sounds like you are suppose to center the cable over the 3rd and 4th ribs on the first sock and then on the second sock put the center cable over the 4th and 5th ribs.

That doesn't sound like it is very much further over, and since that it what it says I guess it its not too much of a shift. Hopefully just right.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
of troy
Turning the Heel

it depends on:
How many stitches,
how many ribs
and where the beginning of round is..
and possibly, how the socks are being knit (on 4 DPN's? on 5 DPN's (on 2 circs or on a single magic loop)

In many socks, the beginning of the round is CENTER BACK

but for me, because i knit my socks 2 on 2, my beginning of the round is at the side --both socks same side
sock 1>>(BoR) sock 2>>(BoR)

some directions have side (seam) BoR, but like this
<< BOR sock 1, and Sock 2>> beginning of round..

And some socks have Ribs so that the side 'seam' is a single k (k1) then the pattern is P2, K2, P2 (and the front ends with K1, making the side 'seam' fall in the middle of Knit rib..

this Results in a K2 column dead center..

but other socks start with K2, (p2, K2,....and end the front with P2 (and start back with K2.. (and end at the side 'seam' with P2.

With version 1 (k1, then P2, K2, P2.. K1) the center front will be a CENTERED RIB (likely a K2)

but with Version 2 (k2, p2....) the center front will be the imaginary line between 2 knits and 2 purls..
(and if you want to have things centered..?) then you need to think about how the cable is positioned on this imaginary line!)

Some knitters are anal about these details..
and some knitters aren't.

some knitters move stitches around 1 or 2 stitches --on the needles or just by moving the BoR marker.

It really is a fine detail..
are you going to notice if you center front is 1 or 2 stitches 'off?) (are you going to care?)

if yes, figure out what you need to do to center cable..

if not, just make 2 identical pairs..

(me, i don't care much about these fine sock details.. but cast ons? that's where i get anal and persnickity!--pick your battles.

Its perfectly OK to be persnickity about making sure your center front of a sock is centered on a K2 rib, (and not between K2|P2-) but i am not!
zoecloe (05-26-2009)
Old 05-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
zoecloe
Casting On

Thanks for all the comments!

I am using 1 circular knitting needle. My beginning round is on the side of the sock.
1st chart - 10 stitches of k2, p2, cable, and then ends with 14 stitches of k2, p2 (34 front and 34 back stitches). Cable is on the front and back is simply stockinette. The Cable pattern begins and ends narrow but is wide in the center.
I will use graph paper to reposition the chart over the appropriate rib stitches.
zoecloe is offline   Reply With Quote