Old 05-31-2009, 09:19 PM   #21
Arielluria
Instepping Out

I don't pace myself, but I wait until I'm absolutely SURE I really want a big project like a sweater before starting it. I do need to have several types of WIPs at all times, that allows me to always have something with me, depending on what I'm doing while knitting.

For example DH's aran cabled sweater I can mostly do without looking at the stitch pattern, so I can even do that while watching TV but now it's gotten too large to carry so it's no longer portable.

I ALWAYS have a simple garter stitch or stockinette project going so I can do it in the dark in bed watching TV or in the car. Something I don't EVER have to look down at. Right now I'm finishing up a simple garter shawl from Lion Brand in Homespun, so even if I make a mistake you won't see it because of the yarn.

I pretty much always have a sock or 2 going, it's small and portable and I love the weird looks I get from people when they see me knitting socks. You'd think I had 3 heads or something.

I don't blame them, I would have thought the same thing a couple of years ago before I started knitting.

I'm also working on a mitered square afghan. I only have to look down at the pattern for the increase, otherwise, it's straight stockinette and very portable.

I guess that's it for now but I'll get a hankering to make a dog sweater, or a scarf (just finishing up Branching Out for my cousin (from Knitty)), or I'll feel the need to cast on for a hat for instant gratification knitting.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-31-2009, 10:47 PM   #22
Vertigo1414
Knitting the Flap

i had told myself when i started knitting again this year that i would only do one thing at a time...then i started the blanket from hell that i measured and found out i made seven feet wide. that's when i decided 2 projects were ok. the only problem is i'm waiting this week for more yarn to finish my tank top, so i started some scrubbies. and i figure the tank is getting to the size it won't be portable soon so i need something little. so i have 3 for now but i'm sure i'll come up with a reason to start something else soon. or i'll just start something and justiy it later
Northeast Oddball Baby Blankets
Oddball Pet Snuggles

Vertigo's Knits-My blog
Vertigo1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:23 AM   #23
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
then i started the blanket from hell that i measured and found out i made seven feet wide
Just make that the long side and you won't have as many rows to do...

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:16 AM   #24
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I seldom have more than 2 projects OTN at a time. Generally I have one mindless project (something easy to do in the car or when I am tired) and one complicated (requiring my constant attention). I find it takes too long to complete things if I have too many going at once. Or, the project I least like gets shoved to the bottom of the pile and forgotten.

Like you, I am excited to start my Kauni Cardigan but refuse to let myself until one of my two current projects is done. I consider that extra incentive to get moving. I do have a couple project "hibernating" but that is because I really don't like them, so don't want to spend the time or yarn to finish them but just haven't had the heart to frog them.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #25
Vertigo1414
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Just make that the long side and you won't have as many rows to do...
i thought about it but the way the pattern goes it won't work. i just gotta keep on truckin
Northeast Oddball Baby Blankets
Oddball Pet Snuggles

Vertigo's Knits-My blog
Vertigo1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:08 PM   #26
lulubell
Knitting the Flap

I like the theory of finishing one project before starting another. I do feel a little uncomfortable if I have more than two things waiting to be finished (like now) possibly a slight 'pressured' feeling.
I have such a queue of projects in my head and really need to finish two things so I can plan another in depth while I finish up the third. Then I will feel back in control again. How silly!!
lulubell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #27
gamommie
Casting On

I am still very new to knitting and am working on a baby blanket for my baby boy. I am not touching anything else craft related until that gets finished. I am bad about not finishing things if left too long.
gamommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #28
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,795 Times in 7,156 Posts
Originally Posted by gamommie View Post
I am still very new to knitting and am working on a baby blanket for my baby boy. I am not touching anything else craft related until that gets finished. I am bad about not finishing things if left too long.
Good for you! We all start out that way though so be prepared.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote