Old 05-30-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
Puddinpop
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Puddinpop
Anyone knit Bamboozle Summer Dream Socks?
I have been trying to knit this sock forever. Twice I started on the top lacey part of the sock and when I finally got to the toe, the sock was huge. I found a person on Ravelry that had knit it and she said it was huge and she changed the cast on from 64 stitches to 48. I did the same and started over. Now I have finished the heel turn and it looks funny and is huge again. I should have found another pattern after I found out this one was faulty but, I liked the top part. This is just my second pair of socks so, I didn't know that it was going back to huge after turning the heel until it was too late. Anyone else have all these problems with this pattern?
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-31-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

I haven't ever used this yarn, nor knit this pattern, but there're things wrong all over the place. First, it tells you in the yarn that you may need to go to a larger sized needle because of the elasticity. Which makes it sound as if it's likely to shrink up. But I would have thought that with a very elastic yarn that you would have to do DOWN a needle size, that it would likely knit too big otherwise. Then, in the directions, it says that you should let your swatch rest overnight in order to determine the real gauge. So what does that mean in terms of the finished sock? That every time you wear it, you can have it on for 1 hour and then take it off and let it rest overnight so that it will go back to its proper dimension??? Are we baking bread or knitting socks??? Also, the yarn says it should be 4 -5 sts per inch, but the pattern wants 7 sts per inch. Even with the 7 sts, 64 is gigantic. The basic sock pattern I use most has 50 sts cast on with 7 sts per inch. So 48 makes more sense, but no matter what, I would be very suspicious of using this pattern for this yarn, and if I did use the pattern, I'd be working with a 9 sts per inch yarn, and one where there were no "let it rest overnight" directions.
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Puddinpop
Turning the Heel

The weird thing is they post this pattern to advertise this yarn. You would think they would be more careful if, they were wanting to show off the yarn. Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

It sounds like this yarn would act similar to Elann Esprit or Cascade Fixation, they are both a cotton yarn with some elastic to give memory. It is recommended to stretch this yarn when knitting and the item will shrink a bit when at rest. After washing my socks made with this yarn they look like childrens socks but they stretch to fit my feet. It's different to work with, but if you want a non wool yarn that doesn't pool around your ankles I don't know what other choice you have.
I don't see anything wrong with the pattern. I've knit a half dozen pair of socks with the Elann Esprit yarn and I've cast on 60 to 64 stitches for a woman's medium size and they fit fine. They look huge when first made but washing does seem to contract them.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
Puddinpop
Turning the Heel

That's interesting. I will post a picture of the huge one and a picture of the top part of the one with 48 cast one stitches.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
Puddinpop
Turning the Heel

I have made socks with Cascade Fixation but, Bamboozle isn't that stretchy.