Old 06-03-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
JudiToots
Ribbing the Cuff

Help with hat and circular needles
My husband has asked me to make a hat with the ear flaps. (The only other hat that I ever made was for me and I crocheted it.) I found a similar pattern to what he wants (http://cache.lionbrand.com/printable...ns/90022AD.pdf). This is the look that he wants but I don't want to use this pattern (as I want smaller stitches and don't want to sew up the back). I want to knit the hat with a k 4, p 4 pattern and using US 8 circular needles. However, I have never used circular needles. His head circumference is 23". So what is the best length for the circular needles? I think I bought a 24" pair. (The tube is really stiff and not very easy to use. How do you work with it?)

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

"She seeks out wool and flax and works with willing hands [to develop it]." Proverbs 31:13 AMP
"Make it your ambition and definitely endeavor to live quietly and peacefully, to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands..." 1 Thessalonians 4:11 AMP
JudiToots is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
Unless his head is more than 24 inches around, you won't be able to use a 24-inch circular needle. 16 is usually the best length for hats since you can scrunch stitches on a needle, but not stretch them beyond their reach.

At some point, when your decreases prevent the stitches from fitting around the circular needle, you'll have to switch to double-pointed needles.

You could also try using magic loop--Amy has video on it. It's a way to use a longer circular needle for smaller projects.

To soften the cord, you can try dipping it briefly in boiling water and hold it straight to dry. Most needles that you buy in craft stores have stiffer cables. I think that's why so may people like Addi Turbo or Knit Picks needles. The cord is very flexible.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
JudiToots
Ribbing the Cuff

Ingrid,

Thank you for the advice. I wondered if I needed the 16" needles. I did watch the magic loop video yesterday and tried to use it. However, the tube is so stiff that it did exactly what I didn't want...it created a gap.

I do want to get the Knit Picks needles (haven't looked at the Addi Turbo). But I'd like to get started on the project. I could work on the ear flap part perhaps.

Thanks again!

"She seeks out wool and flax and works with willing hands [to develop it]." Proverbs 31:13 AMP
"Make it your ambition and definitely endeavor to live quietly and peacefully, to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands..." 1 Thessalonians 4:11 AMP
Old 06-03-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
With the 24" needles try the single Loop variation of ML. I use that to make hats with that size needle. You should also only cast on enough stitches so the hat will be an inch less than his head measurement so it won't be too large.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Using Two Circulars Instead of DPNs
Isn't there a technique for using two sets of circulars for knitting small diameters in the round?

I've never done it myself. I'm guessing that magic loop isn't really an option with the stiff cord on some circulars (like the Boye set I have).

I used hot tap water to straighten the stiff circular cord, but I notice that even the KP cord will curl in an unruly way if it has a twist in it. I've had some "moments" when trying to un-twist such cords. I've learned to grasp the cord and work such twists toward one needle (which should be free to roll.)

Judi

Added:
Simple Knit Hat at HJS Studio reads skims like a tutorial on knit hats and comes with yarn and pattern variations.
Double Hat[/u]

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.

Last edited by OffJumpsJack : 06-03-2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Found some hat patterns I have bookmarked.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
You can use two circs for small diameter knitting--in fact, I prefer it over magic loop. However, I was under the impression that one needle was available.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
JudiToots
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
With the 24" needles try the single Loop variation of ML. I use that to make hats with that size needle. You should also only cast on enough stitches so the hat will be an inch less than his head measurement so it won't be too large.
suzeeq,

I wish that I had gotten the chance to read your reply before I did. I had DH try on the hat and it was too big. (He said that he did not want it tight.) Being the sweetness that he is, he said that he would still use it as is. Being the perfectist that I am, I began frogging.

So I am now starting over with the hat.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Now you get to try the halfaloop ML. A new technique to learn, how great!

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
JudiToots
Ribbing the Cuff

That is a terrific and positive way to respond! The 16" circular needle that I have works well. I just need to reduce the size. I am holding off on the ML until I getting better circular needles. The 24" needle that I have is way too stiff.