Old 05-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #511
nightknitting
Casting On

i'm going to knitting circle tonight am going to bring my B & L Atlantic to match colors for seaming yarn....
nightknitting is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #512
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Hi MissF! (Florence),

I think I received an email from you about the bobbles.
Would you send me another message, but this time use
the KnittingHelp private message? Over by my face, click my name ArtLady1981 and in the box that appears, select "send a private message to ArtLady1981!

I'm not sure what your KH member name is! Sorry! I tried MissF, but that didn't come up!

Hugs,

Artlady

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #513
jude119
Casting On

Written instructions instead of chart
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here and I'm probably asking for the impossible but please can anyone help me out here?

I'm sure I've seen a post somewhere, though not necessarily on this site, which has a link to a written set of instructions rather than a chart for the cable pattern. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful, alternatively, I suppose I could just write my own from the chart!

I'm really pleased that I found this KAL because, even though I haven't started knitting Sylvi yet, I've already picked up so many tips, the best one of which has got to be knitting the sleeves flat rather than in the round. I don't know about any other modifications yet as I'm going to knit this for my daughter and will obviously have to make it to suit her preferences but I'm sure I'll be back asking for help as soon as I start knitting.
jude119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #514
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
There aren't any "written" line-by-line instructions that replace the charts for Sylvi.

True enough, those charts and all the many many symbols are daunting. My suggestion is: color code EACH SYMBOL in the chart KEY....then color code all the symbols in the chart to match the KEY. It's the only way I could visually sort out each row. None of directions behind each symbol is difficult. What's tricky is following along accurately.

There is an ongoing KAL in the Groups over at Ravelry. That KAL is still active.

Be aware, the pattern is under strict copyright protection, so other knitters who might want to help you won't be able to give you explicit written directions based on the chart directions.

The only thing I did to change how I.followed the charts is that I made all my bobbles separately and sewed them onto the coat. I knit some of my flower petals separately, too.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
jude119 (09-20-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 05:26 AM   #515
jude119
Casting On

Thank you, Artlady
Many thanks, Artlady.

I got this pattern quite a while ago but haven't been able to start it yet. I have, however, been reading all the posts in the KAL and thought that your ideas about the bobbles and the flat sleeves were excellent modifications that I'll definitely be using.

There'll probably be others, too, as I go along, as well as problems that I hit such as sizing (my daughter's only 5'3") so I'll definitely be reading through the posts on a regular basis to pick up other tips.

I'm sure that there is somewhere on here that I can just click to say "thanks" but I can't find it anywhere so I'll just have to write my thanks to you and to all the other lovely posters on the KAL for their observations and recommendations.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:28 AM   #516
jude119
Casting On

Just found the "thanks" button!
Old 03-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #517
peskymystic
Casting On

Following the pattern for the back.
Hello, I decided to make a Sylvie coat and was easy on myself and chose the same wool and color in the picture. The sleeves have both turned out fine, but I am having issues with the pattern for the back. This will be my third time starting over...I am working line one from right to left. Line two from left to right. I am skipping the shaded areas...I just don't know why it is not working. Size Med.

Some thoughts...the seed stitch on the pattern does not match...the next line says begin with a knit...when the work needs me to begin with a pearl to keep the seed stitch pattern.

Also when working the wrong side, shouldn't the cables alternate knit on the right side and pearl on the other...? I am using a circular needle like the pattern suggests and working flat...does working flat mean something different? Help..
peskymystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #518
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
It sounds like you're doing the right things. The pattern on Ravelry includes a link to errata although I don't think that will solve your problem. Yes, the actual cable sts should be knit on the RS, purl on the WS. Without seeing the charts, the usual way to work charts is RS row, right to left and WS rows, left to right. I go with maintaining the seed stitch no matter what the pattern says but there may be another problem that I'm not aware of here. It may help to send ArtLady a private message since she has knit this lovely coat and will have excellant notes.
peskymystic (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #519
peskymystic
Casting On

Figured it out
Thanks so much...by late afternoon and reading the pattern over and over, I realised that in the key to the chart it said, the square with the dot is a pearl on the odd number rows and a knit on the even numbered rows, and I had overlooked that. I don't know why the chart simply wasn't made to reflect that...kind of strange to me, but now I have completed 21 wonderful rows and am so excited. Thanks again.
peskymystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:31 AM   #520
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
Good for you for figuring it out! I'm happy that you're on your way. We'd love to see a photo of you finished coat if you'd like to post one.
I often do the same thing with patterns when I'm stumped, read and re-read every word, read them out loud, read them upside down. Eventually something usually makes sense. If not, this is a good place to ask.