Old 06-12-2009, 10:03 PM   #11
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Just as an aside, I personally think that a pattern and the fiber you choose to do it in will tell you how to actually knit the thing up, which technique to use. There's some patterns and yarns that you really do want a seam to help hold the shape of the garment, for instance, just like there's some patterns and yarns where you'd truly want a shoulder seam rather than grafting it over the shoulder, for the same reasons.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
Irishmam (06-13-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #12
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Very good comments, Zina! You are RIGHT ON!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
globaltraveler (06-13-2009), Irishmam (06-13-2009)
Old 06-13-2009, 05:31 AM   #13
Irishmam
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you everybody,

I really appreciate all your opinions - I am learning soooo much here. I think I will knit this garment flat as in the pattern (Mike TOP tip about sleeve length). Then the next thing I kint I will do i the round just to be able to compare.

Zina - I have been to Dingle before - we intend to do the whole Ring of Kerry. I was able to go out on the boat and saw Fhungi the Dolphin, which was magical. I shall defintely be going to Dingle now to visit that Yarn shop you recommended.

thanks again, Irishmam
Irishmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #14
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

BTW, Sheri, you might be interested in the Techknitter's comments on knitting "jogless" stripes. It's not perfect, but it's much better than the spiral way.

Irishmam, I only just saw Funghi up close last week! It was my first outing on a boat in Kerry, and we were playing trad music on a catamaran eco-tour -- it was hilarious, but the icing on the cake was definitely seeing the dolphin!

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #15
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
We saw him when I was about 10, we hired a wee boat and he seems to like the smaller boats as he stayed near us til he spotted some canoes and went to play with them, not sure if he was trying to tip them over.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #16
zanne042
Casting On

I am also in the process of knitting my first cardigan (fingers crossed). I knitted the body with no issues & the first sleeve as well. When making the second sleeve I found that the increases were laying differently than the first sleeve.
In an attempt to correct I am knitting both sleeve on two circular needles. I have to reknit the first sleeve, but I like the overall look of both sleeves now. ( This was a big help to me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RybPvCNfrT8 ) Hope it helps you as well !
zanne042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zanne042 For This Useful Post:
Irishmam (06-14-2009), TEMA (06-13-2009)
Old 06-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #17
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

I think he does like the smaller boats - according to our skipper, he loves showing off for people, which he can do better when they're closer to the water.

I've yet to figure out the right way to spell his name. So far I've seen Funghi, Fungi, Fhungi and Fungie. Does it mean something in Irish, I wonder?

Old 06-14-2009, 07:45 AM   #18
Irishmam
1st Leg of the Journey

Zanne

Thank you for the referrence. I will have a look later. I have decided to make a practise cardigan for my 2 year old (Less unpicking!) I might do like you and try 1 sleeve falt and the 2nd on the round (and avoid too many increases??)

thanks, Irishmam
Irishmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #19
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

If you look at the Increases pics and videos here on KnittingHelp, you'll see that Amy's partnered each kind of increase with the increase used to "mirror" it. You can use these to increase the sleeves opposite to each other, if you like.