Old 06-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Actually, it may be illegal in Saudi Arabia
Originally Posted by knitgal View Post
Not that this has anything to do with the situation, but I don't like the way that the teacher worded the message either. Like Jan said, it sounds intolerant which puts me off the whole situation.

Why does someone's sexuality have to play into this at all? Are gay men not allowed to be mentors to little boys? What is she afraid will happen? So strange to me.
I not sure but I seem to remember a teacher (an American citizen?) being imprisoned for violating Muslim law. There's another item to Google (or Bing).

My mistake, it was a British citizen, here is a clipping from Fox New (more : www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,314401,00.html)
Quote:
British schoolteacher Gillian Gibbons, an unimposing woman of 54, was found guilty of "inciting religious hatred" and sentenced to 15 days in jail and deportation by a court in Sudan’s Khartoum after allowing her 7-year-old students to name a teddy bear “Muhammad.”
The only point is there could be legal issues for the teacher if she doesn't screen the contacts.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.

Last edited by OffJumpsJack : 06-23-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Found it.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I am certainly glad that I'm not the only one who sees this as a problem for various reasons.

Jack, did you find Casey's username so you can forward that? If not I can find it and send it to you. I'm not putting here in a public forum.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
AngieLanigan
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by OffJumpsJack View Post
Being still new on rav, I';m having a hard time finding where or how to get this to the right people over there. Now that I know Casey and Jess are the founders I know how to proceed.. If they have a forward button or icon?...
Also from the TOS at Ravelry:

Quote:
If you become aware of any unauthorized use of your password or of your account, or of any other breach of security you agree to notify Ravelry immediately at abuse@ravelry.com.
I would think that shouls be a good address to contact Casey and share your concerns. I think he'll be glad to know they've got a large influx of minors accessing the site.

AngieLanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #14
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Are Young Members Welcome Here on KH
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I am certainly glad that I'm not the only one who sees this as a problem for various reasons.

Jack, did you find Casey's username so you can forward that? If not I can find it and send it to you. I'm not putting here in a public forum.
Originally Posted by AngieLanigan View Post
Also from the TOS at Ravelry:

I would think that shouls be a good address to contact Casey and share your concerns. I think he'll be glad to know they've got a large influx of minors accessing the site.

There is a "contact us" link at the bottom of each Rav page!

I used that form (after having sent a message through the Rav message box to Casey which sounds like it is equivalent to a KH private message.)

Now what I was really wanting to ask here was ...

Would young member be welcomed here?

Would KH be a better alternative for supervised students?

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTH Baby blanket
Old 06-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #15
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
Would young member be welcomed here?
Would KH be a better alternative for supervised students?
Ummm, not that young. We have had a few about 11 or 12 and that's about the youngest age I think we allow. If they're under 16 or 18, I think they have to provide a parent/guardian contact and we get permission from them.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
OffJumpsJack (06-24-2009)
Old 06-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #16
knitasha
Turning the Heel

The American Library Association publishes a huge list of websites directly targeted to children.
http://www.ala.org/gwstemplate.cfm?s...ws/default.cfm

KH is a nice site -- no bad language, little or no snark, good mods. That still doesn't make it appropriate for 8-year-olds, even if they do knit or crochet.

Last edited by knitasha : 06-23-2009 at 08:10 PM.
knitasha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitasha For This Useful Post:
OffJumpsJack (06-24-2009)
Old 06-24-2009, 12:12 AM   #17
Mike
Working the Gusset

For those worried about intolerance, hang out on the "Men Who Knit" forum for a while and you would see it's justified.
Some of those guys can't seem to take a thread over 5 posts without turning the talk to gay sex. I suspect those types are the whole reason "Straight Men Also Crochet and Knit" was started. It wasn't about intolerance because many of the gay men from MWK also go there.
For some reason MWK seems to get more women asking about teaching young boys than SMACK does.
I imagine that's where this one went and she had a rude awakening and Jack was a welcome sight.

As far as gay men mentoring little boys, it's not really going to convince the boys that it's OK for them to be doing a "girl's hobby" when the men you provide them for roll models are gay.
That would have the opposite effect.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
OffJumpsJack (07-13-2009)
Old 06-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #18
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by knitasha View Post
The American Library Association publishes a huge list of websites directly targeted to children.
http://www.ala.org/gwstemplate.cfm?s...ws/default.cfm

KH is a nice site -- no bad language, little or no snark, good mods. That still doesn't make it appropriate for 8-year-olds, even if they do knit or crochet.
Thank you Knitasha, that is a good link to bookmark but their own search for keyword "crochet" or "knit" found nothing. I struck out.

Mike, Thanks for the 'scout' report on MWK. I think I'll stay at SMACK then.

I have to admit the only other forum in which I participate is a Harry Potter forum associated with the Harry Potter Lexicon. They are a child friendly operations.

There is very little out there for children learning to crochet or knit. I haven't found anything yet.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTH Baby blanket
Old 06-25-2009, 12:04 AM   #19
Mike
Working the Gusset

MWK isn't bad, it's more active than SMACK. I've just learned to lose interest in topics before they drag on too long.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #20
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Strikes me as a bit....odd. The "STRAIGHT" thing seems a bit offensive if nothing else. Being a straight guy, I would take this as an insult suggesting that if you knit you are probably gay, but if I were a gay person I would take this especially insulting.

Why would this person bring up the gay/straight thing at all? What does it have to do with knitting?

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post: