Old 06-25-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
texasbluebelle
Casting On

Sweater Newbie
Hello Everyone!

Getting ready to knit my first sweater and already confused...CO 94 sts. (WS) Begin 1x1 Rib. Question is, after I CO, wouldn't my first row be considered the RS? I've only made scarves and want to make more!

Thank you very much!
texasbluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Most people don't count the cast on row as a row. It really doesn't matter as long as you're consistent with your pattern. When I'm not sure I put a pin on one side and make note if that is the wrong or right side so it helps me remember.

If you have a link for it when you ask questions it'll help us help you, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Basically, it changes depending on the pattern. The first row isn't always the RS or the WS, it just depends on what the needs of the pattern are, and you can change that up if you choose a certain kind of cast-on, too, if you're looking for a certain effect.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
texasbluebelle (06-25-2009)
Old 06-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

There's a lot of argument about this, but according to the diehard authorities, when you do a long-tail cast on, you've just completed your first row. So the first row you actually work is on the wrong side. The person who wrote your pattern is obviously of this theory (which I share, by the way-- because this way you have a nice straight edge and no purl bumps on the outside. If you treat your first worked row as the right side, then you get a row of purl bumps at the bottom).
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to imrachel For This Useful Post:
texasbluebelle (06-25-2009)
Old 06-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
texasbluebelle
Casting On

Great, fast advice!
Wow, thanks for the fast help! In all my scarf knitting, I have always used the "tail" as my reminder of wrong side every time I turned my work. Thank you all for the help...I hope this is the way to thank everyone!
Old 06-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
texasbluebelle
Casting On

I don't know how to post a link to the pattern, but it's a sweater in Classic Elite "New Harbor." The sweater is "Classic Silk Open Cardi."

Thank you very much!
Old 06-25-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

This is a great site -- there's usually no question too big or small to be answered here by someone or other. I've learned a lot and gotten tons of help here!

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote