Old 07-13-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,906 Posts
Our Two Oddball Lapghans Were Donated Today!
Yay!

What a wonderful day I had today.
It was such a joy to take our two large Oddball Lapghans to the Tree House Children's Advocacy Center in Monroe, NC. I was greeted by Pamela Caskey, the South Region Director for United Family Services. I also was able to meet Sharon Thacker, the Chief Operating Officer. They were so appreciative, and really took an interest in our project.

We met in a nice conference room to talk about the blankets. Pamela was pleased to let us take a photo together.

Next, she took us on a tour of the facility, telling us more about their organization. I wish I had a tape recorder, so I could remember it all. That place is AWESOME! They do a wonderful work with the victimized children and teens that come there for help.

Here are some photos I took during the tour.

One of the rooms they use for interviewing victims and/or their family:

A play table in that room, that was built and hand-painted by a volunteer:

A pretty handmade tree house for the children to play with during discussions there.

The beautiful exam room, with toys for the children to choose from after their exam. You can also see the blankets under the cabinet. The children and teens choose a blanket to use during the exam - they can keep the blanket forever.

Here, Pamela is showing one of the handmade quilts that was donated to the center. She said that sometimes the children will still have the blanket in their grasp when they come back for a follow-up appointment at a later date. It's nice to know that the children appreciate the blankets.

I think our blankets look nice in that exam room, don't you?

Since we were taking photos, I grabbed my hubby for a photo as well.

Pamela then showed us the other side of the room, where they have the exam table. They have a nice setup there. She said that some of the victims have never been to the doctor before in their life, so they can be quite anxious.

I just love the bright, colorful floor rug in the exam room. I imagine that some of the children are shy, and come in staring at the floor. What a happy view they are greeted with!

When we were leaving the exam room, I placed our blankets on the little conference table in there. Goodbye Oddball Lapghans!

When we left the exam room, Pamela showed us some of the beautiful artwork that has been created and donated to their organization. So inspiring!

Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (07-14-2009), gmmarton (07-14-2009), Ladybug Lady (07-22-2009), nannaknits (07-14-2009), Secksiebrat (07-14-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

While I was there, I asked Pamela if there was anything else we could provide for them.

She gave me their Wish List!

Magazine Subscriptions (family and teen)
For Teens (boys/girls): journals, frames, bath/body, sport items
Paper Products: paper towels, plates, napkins, cups, plastic utensils
Gift Cards: Wal-Mart, Target, Barnes & Noble, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Toys R Us, and gas stations
Party Supplies: for children's "Hero" parties
Old Used Cell Phones
Printing Paper

Supplies for Play Therapy:
Crayola Modeling Clay, washable paint & brushes, colored pencils, colored chalk, construction paper, play cash register & play money, kitchen toys (pans, dishes, plastic food, cans), Gumby, miniature broom & dust pan, hats, lone ranger mask, play xylophone, play cymbals, play drum, toy watch, two play phones, Fisher Price school bus, Fisher Price bench and hammer, Tinker Toys, building blocks, children's purses & jewelry, doctor's medical kit.

If you would like to donate anything on the above list, send it to Pamela Caskey at 604 Lancaster Avenue, Monroe NC 28112
www.unitedfamilyservices.org
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (07-14-2009), Ladybug Lady (07-22-2009), Secksiebrat (07-14-2009)
Old 07-14-2009, 12:32 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
That's so nice, Sandy! It's warms the heart to know that someone is getting the blankets that needs them so much.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Shandeh (07-14-2009)
Old 07-14-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Wow! The photos are terrific! It's a beautiful facility. You can tell that a lot of love and forethought went into every part of it.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
gmmarton
Turning the Heel

The "Wish List"
I have made a notation of items for the little ones and plan to send something in the next few weeks.

Thanks for posting this, Shandeh.

Originally Posted by Shandeh View Post
While I was there, I asked Pamela if there was anything else we could provide for them.

She gave me their Wish List!

Magazine Subscriptions (family and teen)
For Teens (boys/girls): journals, frames, bath/body, sport items
Paper Products: paper towels, plates, napkins, cups, plastic utensils
Gift Cards: Wal-Mart, Target, Barnes & Noble, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Toys R Us, and gas stations
Party Supplies: for children's "Hero" parties
Old Used Cell Phones
Printing Paper

Supplies for Play Therapy:
Crayola Modeling Clay, washable paint & brushes, colored pencils, colored chalk, construction paper, play cash register & play money, kitchen toys (pans, dishes, plastic food, cans), Gumby, miniature broom & dust pan, hats, lone ranger mask, play xylophone, play cymbals, play drum, toy watch, two play phones, Fisher Price school bus, Fisher Price bench and hammer, Tinker Toys, building blocks, children's purses & jewelry, doctor's medical kit.

If you would like to donate anything on the above list, send it to Pamela Caskey at 604 Lancaster Avenue, Monroe NC 28112
www.unitedfamilyservices.org
gmmarton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmmarton For This Useful Post:
Shandeh (07-16-2009)
Old 07-16-2009, 12:50 AM   #6
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
That's so nice, Sandy! It's warms the heart to know that someone is getting the blankets that needs them so much.
Thanks Jan!
It felt so good to see our blankets so appreciated by them. They just went on and on about how beautiful the blankets were. They were very interested in our project.

Originally Posted by auburnchick View Post
Wow! The photos are terrific! It's a beautiful facility. You can tell that a lot of love and forethought went into every part of it.
I agree, Nathalie!
She said that when they first started, they had no idea how to go about getting set up. So, they went to view other existing facilities in other counties. Then, they came back and got to work! I'm very impressed with their setup. Very professional.

Originally Posted by gmmarton View Post
I have made a notation of items for the little ones and plan to send something in the next few weeks. Thanks for posting this, Shandeh.
Thank you so much, Gail!
I'm sure they will appreciate anything you can share with them.