Old 07-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
GinnyWeasley
Ribbing the Cuff

Help understanding a pattern
Hey all!

I am trying to knit myself some fingerless gloves that are found here

http://www.scarlethamster.com/knit/2...s-pattern.html

I am confused about the thumb hole section. It says:

Round 31: k1. Slip 6 st onto stitch holder. CO 6 st, join, and knit rest of round.
Knit the rest of the hand:

What is a stitch holder? Sorry, I am new to knitting. Am I placing 6 stitches on a separate needle? And Also then it says Cast on another 6?? I am confused on how to go about doing all that lol

Any help would be great
GinnyWeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GinnyWeasley For This Useful Post:
arouraordiz (11-08-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
A stitch holder can be another needle, a large safety pin like holder or a piece of yarn. You won't use those sts until you make the thumb, but you need them to complete the hand part so you CO 6 to fill in the gap. Then later you go back to the held sts and knit them and pick up sts from the cast on ones, so I'd recommend a backward loop or knitted CO for them as it's easier to pick up sts from them.

However, another way to both 'hold' them and 'cast on' new sts is to take a different piece of yarn, only needs to be about 12" or so, and knit only those 6 sts with it. Then slip those sts back to the left needle and reknit them with your working yarn. Then when you do the thumb, pick out the odd yarn carefully and you have 12 sts ready to go.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
GinnyWeasley (07-18-2009), OffJumpsJack (07-20-2009)
Old 07-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
albertpollard
1st Leg of the Journey

Welcome to the forum. You'll find lot's of help here! I haven't knit gloves before but I'll try to help. If I'm wrong someone will post an erreta.
A stitch holder can be another needle, a cable needle, a piece of scrap yarn or an actual stitch holder, which looks like a giant safety pin. It just hold the loops of yarn while you work the rest of the garment, glove or what ever.
You will then CO 6 stitches to replace those. I think this is to form the thumb later, after you finish the body.
After you finish the body you will Pick up 9 stitches + the six from the stitch holder and knit the thumb.
Hope this helps and as I said, if I'm wrong someone else will jump in and tell you.
GinnyWeasley (07-18-2009)
Old 07-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
GinnyWeasley
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks to both of you for the help!

My brain nderstands it all now lol.

This is my first time doing gloves and the thumb part is scaring me and I havent even started them yet....I have scrapped it wice now though since I find I have the hardest time getting 2x2 rib started. Once I am a few rows in I am good but getting those first few rows...UGH!

*bangs head on desk*

Old 07-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yeah, getting things started on dpns is a bear. Have you tried using a longer circular needle to do them with magic loop, or using 2 circs?

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
GinnyWeasley
Ribbing the Cuff

Ive been doing practice pieces with both..So I am starting to feel comfortable using both DPN's and Magic loop. I am doing this pattern on Magic Loop though.

I am almost finished the hand and will soon be starting the thumb! I am doing this first one as a practice one...Few beginner mistakes here and there but overall...it is turning out good :D

Next up I am going to need to make some Harry Potter House mittens to go with my scarf.

Thanks for all the help guys!