Old 07-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #21
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,807 Times in 7,166 Posts
Originally Posted by Mommy22alyns View Post
After a couple of years of love, my Options cables have just started pulling out of the fittings. I'm exploring my glue options but I'm worried about excess glue snagging my yarn.
My DH used hot glue. He used a candle to heat the metal part and then jammed the end in quickly.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #22
cresmoon
1st Leg of the Journey

Would you consider the KA bamboo interchangeable set? They're the second most expensive interchangeable set I know of (Addi Clicks being the most expensive) but I haven't heard anything but good things about KA so far.
cresmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cresmoon For This Useful Post:
Knitting_Guy (07-18-2009)
Old 07-19-2009, 04:32 AM   #23
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Sorry to hear about your KP cables, Mason! Indeed very annoying and aggravating! I know the company would replace them, but it still doesn't fix the mess you have on your hands!

I have Denise Interchangeables. They were my first set of interchangeables. They are very easy to assemble, really just a little turn and they're in and ready to go!

The cables are a little hefty, but, for the most part, they didn't present a problem with stitches not gliding easily. Maybe the heftier cable will be perfect for man hands! The Denise circ is warm and buttery, and nice to use. Pointy, but not too pointy.

A lot of folks really love them. I think you will, too! I also like how the cables can click together to make all sorts of lengths!

I mostly use KP Options and Harmony's these days and of course, Addi's. Like most knitters, I switch back and forth depending on the project. I even have a few favorite 'set circs' that are Susan Bates! I like to buy 'vintage' circs in lots from Ebay and stash them away. I haul them out when I can't get a good feel with other needles!

It's all in the tools....

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Knitting_Guy (07-19-2009)
Old 07-19-2009, 07:46 AM   #24
LizzieK8
1st Leg of the Journey

I have three sets of Boyes and two sets of Denises. The Denises do come apart, too, but not as easily or as often as I've read of the Options doing it. Boyes do rub off the paint (a little steel wool helps with the roughness) and the cables are too stiff for Magic Loop.

As I do most of my round knitting with ML now, and all my flat knitting with either a circular needle or DPNs with stoppers on the end, I just buy a 36-40 inch Addi or Inox from my LYS as I need them for a project. Thus building up a supply of long needles that don't fall apart.

In concept, I think the interchangeables are a great idea, in reality they don't seem to work so well for as long as a regular circular needle will....
Old 07-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #25
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by LizzieK8 View Post
In concept, I think the interchangeables are a great idea, in reality they don't seem to work so well for as long as a regular circular needle will....
Yeah, I'd agree with that -- if you design something to come apart, it's going to come apart.

Now that I figure my gallivanting around the globe is going to have to come to a semi-halt at some point soon, I suppose it's time for me to start collecting Addi fixed circs before I don't have as much opportunity...I am thinking of going to Germany before then mainly just to buy Addi needles cheaply! (My partner thinks I'm nuts for thinking of it that way. Knitting: a benign and somewhat gentle form of mental illness? Discuss! )

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #26
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I too have had LOTS of trouble with my options. I love the tips and the thin cable is great but the cables just don't hold up. I had a cable separate last week in the midst of a stranded project, UGH what a mess.

BUT THE DENISE ARE NOT BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Denise have a quirky twist that holds the cable on and I often find that it fails. Besides the cable is too thick.

For me the bottom line has been my old stand by addis. I have been buying them up on sale and more often than not will reach for a set of them. I think interchangables, by virtue of their very nature are programmed to fail.

I would love a set of addi interchangables but unless the prive drops or I fnd a set on sale I'll stick with the regulars.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #27
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Maybe the heftier cable will be perfect for man hands!
Exactly what I was thinking.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #28
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by cresmoon View Post
Would you consider the KA bamboo interchangeable set? They're the second most expensive interchangeable set I know of (Addi Clicks being the most expensive) but I haven't heard anything but good things about KA so far.
Speaking of KA..I purchased two sets in San Fran...the cords are very smooth, the needles are awesome... (but short in length) my probles is that I "thought" I could use a 9" cord for small round projects, but the needles is tooo short...(BTW I have one FS in the other post)

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #29
Craw
Knitting the Flap

If anyone is considering the KA bamboo set, they are 20% off at one of my LYS who happens to also have a web store.
http://www.letsknit.com/detail.cfm?d...text=&cfm=dept
All needles are on sale until August something, even Addi Turbo. If I'm not mistaken, the entire store is 20% off.
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craw For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (07-19-2009), Knitting_Guy (07-19-2009)
Old 07-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #30
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
Originally Posted by GinnyG View Post

BUT THE DENISE ARE NOT BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Denise have a quirky twist that holds the cable on and I often find that it fails. Besides the cable is too thick.
For the most part, I don't think that anything is better or worse...it boils down to preference.

I can't use boye...they have disappointed me beyond annoyance...but that doesn't mean they aren't perfect for someone else...

I like denise...but I do see its short comings....it doesn't do magic loop well...if you use the extender clips, you end up fight with your stitches over it...but they are smooth to knit with, haven't come undone for me (but maybe 2ce since I have gotten them) and they pretty much cover most needle sizes I have needed. (not withstanding a few odd ball projects) + they are airplane friendly, which can`t be said of many needles.

Globaltraveler said it right - if you design something to come apart, it's going to come apart

After that...it just boils down to what you can tolerate. I mean...these interchangeable ones are great for having all your needles in one place, and ready at hand for virtually any project. They are designed so that you don`t have to own 50 sets of cable needles in different sizes and length (which would have cost oodles more than any set)

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote