Old 07-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
yarnfanatic
Ribbing the Cuff

Preferences
I'm wondering about those experienced knitters who might discuss their preferences when it comes to knitting the fronts and back to sweaters in one piece vs knitting each piece separately and then seaming at the side. As a new knitter the advantage in knitting them in one piece is no side seaming but as a new knitter if I make a mistake then I'm dealing with many more stitches if I have to rip out
(is that what you mean by frogging?). Any guidance, thoughts, and experiences would be appreciated as I'm getting ready to start a new sweater and cannot decide which method to use. The directions are for knitting each piece separately by LYS owner says to knit as one piece up to underdarms. Thanks in advance to all of you.
yarnfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I don't like seaming so usually knit top down or bottom up yoked sweaters, or sometimes bottom up and do a 3 needle bind off for the shoulders.

It depends where you make your mistake and what it is. With a top down raglan or yoke sweater you can try on as you go to get the right size. You can do this with bottom up too, but it's a little harder to hold it up. I think the top down go faster.

The LYSO was right, you can do it in one piece to the underarm, that's a pretty basic conversion. It may seem like you're casting on a lot of sts at once, but it's worth it. I wouldn't sweat the possibility of making mistakes - you don't always have to rip out the entire thing to fix them.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
orkneyknits
Casting On

Depending on the garment, yarn and gauge, a lack of seams can mean a lack of structure. Working from top to bottom or bottom to top, it can very well, such as in Icelandic pullovers. However, from side to side/cuff to cuff construction, especially with a loose gauge, it can be too "floppy". If your LYS owner has seen the pattern and yarn, I would go with her suggestion.
orkneyknits is offline   Reply With Quote