Old 07-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #31
Eekee
1st Leg of the Journey

Common sense is the key. I knit while waiting in lines, and that sometimes involves some walking. I've knit at customs at the airport, and in the voting line. I don't think I'm a risk to people around me. If you see me as a risk, find another line.

I carry my bag with me frequently, and supposed I could be injured by it, should I fall. But, I'm going to live my life according to what I'm comfortable with. If you want to walk and knit, you do it knowing the risks. If you are offended or frightened by a walking knitter, distance yourself.
Eekee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #32
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by Eekee View Post
Common sense is the key. I knit while waiting in lines, and that sometimes involves some walking. I've knit at customs at the airport, and in the voting line. I don't think I'm a risk to people around me. If you see me as a risk, find another line.

I carry my bag with me frequently, and supposed I could be injured by it, should I fall. But, I'm going to live my life according to what I'm comfortable with. If you want to walk and knit, you do it knowing the risks. If you are offended or frightened by a walking knitter, distance yourself.
Come on now! Common sense? In this day and age? How old fashioned!

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #33
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by ? View Post
I guess there are people who participate on this site who will not be seated when knitting. I guess you may be the same people who don’t wear seatbelts on occasion because the odds are that you will not be in an accident in which they will prove beneficial. I guess you may also allow your child to walk around and knit. As I’ve said before, if you want to do this when you are completely on your own, there is no one within 100 feet of you, then fine. But you have sharp objects in your hands. This is not about a difference of opinion. Sharp objects can injure. Fact. I really hope that all of you who insist that this is an acceptable practice never have to find out consequences.
And please don’t do it near me. Thank you.

Should one equate knitting while walking as equally dangerous as ...
a) using a cell phone while driving? (talking or texting)
b) not wearing a seat belt while in a moving car? (driver or passenger)
c) walking while reading a book?

Which is more likely to cause one's death? Eating a hot dog or walking under a large object suspended by a rope? Well it depends on what happens more often, a child eating a hot dog and choking or a rope breaking when someone is passing under the heavy object.

Most adults would recognize the danger of a frayed rope holding a heavy object but not as many recognize a hot dog (or pop corn) as a choking hazard for children.

One poster said if you want to knit and walk go out to the middle of a field where no one else will encounter you. She or he must have very, VERY long knitting needles! I mean a field is a big area to reserve just so one person can knit.

Part of what we teach young cub scouts before letting them earn a whittling chip (which enables them to carry and use a pocket knife on scout camping outings) is to check their safety circle (how far they can reach with the empty hand that will hold the knife). They must show they know and understand this idea and deliberately check the area for anyone or thing inside this safety area before they start and all while they use the pocket knife.

One might say that straight needles should be banned because they are longer than three inches (7.6 cm) and could pierce a vital organ if they are jabbed in the body. So, all you knitter only use circulars with very short tips, yes? (note: The author thinks this paragraph is an exaggerated example and that it does not use sound logic.)

Are all accidents preventable, yes but if the cost or the probability of the injury is small and the cost or inconvenience of prevention is large then it is not worth it to try and prevent the risk.

That is one usage of common sense. But have you noticed that "common" sense seems to be less and less common?

Did you know that one can be impaled by a tooth brush? They are long and are often in or near soft tissue areas (mouth, face, and neck). Never walk with a tooth brush in your mouth or hand. (Note: The author believes this paragraph is not an exaggerated example and that it does use sound reasoning.)

I think there is greater risk to me from other drivers talking on cell phones than from someone walking a few feet away from me while either they or I knit. I perceive the risk (probability of occurrence of injury) is very small for walking and knitting but very high for using a cell phone and driving.

Cars move fast and are very heavy, they are lethal weapons and require a license to operate. When you operate a car, it requires all your attention and you will interact with many more people (other car/drivers) in a short period of time.

Knitting does not require a license. When you knit and walk you will not be near other people very often. And the needles are in your hands and pointed away from you.

One is more likely to be injured in a fall if one tries to stop their fall by reaching out with one or both arms. Tuck up into a ball. Cover your head or tuck it to your chin in a roll if you are falling head first.

I have sailed over the handle bars of my bicycle more than once. I never broke my neck because I tucked into a ball and rolled. I was taught how to tuck and roll as a child. Did anyone know this was a life saving skill? Perhaps my parents did. Certainly my scout leaders knew how this skill could be used to protect someone when falling.

I once fell while on a ladder. The bottom of the ladder slid out. That happened too quickly for me to react in any meaningful way to protect my head, but I was blessed. I only landed on my legs and buttocks so was only badly bruised.

I always wear my seat belt when in a car (even if I am only moving it within my driveway). I do not let my children walk with a tooth brush in his or her mouth. I would not prevent myself or others from knitting while walking and I would not assume that the above poster (who erroneously guessed I would sometimes not wear a seat belt) always keeps her knitting needles locked in a gun safe to prevent injury.

Exaggeration is not sound reasoning and neither is jumping to a conclusion based on limited facts or observations. Any Zero Tolerance policy is likely to lead to absurd results because nothing is absolute. I would find it absurd and unjustified if my child was expelled from school for simply having a pair of knitting needles in his or her possession because knitting needles could be used as a weapon.

One must evaluate risk of injury based on probability of occurrence of injury. One story of sever injury (or even ten) does not indicate a significant risk over a large population. Here the population size is unknown (how many people walk and knit or carry knitting needles while walking) but can be presumed to be quite large.

Remember: "A mind is a terrible thing to wast."

I say a mind is not a terrible thing but neither should it [a mind] be wasted. I think they mean to say, "to waste a mind is a terrible thing."

A hand guns does not kill people! Left on their own a hand guns just sits there. It takes a person to use a hand gun and that person makes a decisions on how to use that weapon.

A pen or pencil (or keyboard) does not make spelling errors. It is simply used by a person who makes a poor decision based on lack of knowledge or an inability to apply that knowledge. (I though keyboard should be added to the list of writing implements, for ample reasons.)

Remember: A panda eats, shoots, and leaves but that does not make them a pulp-fiction killer. Proper grammar and punctuation counts.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.

Last edited by OffJumpsJack : 07-22-2009 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Fixing some spelling errors and phrasing.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #34
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
One poster said if you want to knit and walk go out to the middle of a field where no one else will encounter you.
You can still trip over a gopher hole and stab yourself....

Basically, use common sense and care, knit when and where you feel like and respect other's actions to do differently.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:51 AM   #35
pinksugar
Ribbing the Cuff

this makes me wonder. What about knitting in cars and buses? more or less dangerous than walking and knitting? if the driver unexpectedly slammed on the brake it could mean a needle through the eye or something!

I'm not a good enough knitting to be wandering around and working at the same time, just like I'm not a good enough knitter to watch television and knit, but I do knit on public transport...

Like some others have posted, anything can be dangerous really!
pinksugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #36
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by pinksugar View Post
this makes me wonder. What about knitting in cars and buses? more or less dangerous than walking and knitting? if the driver unexpectedly slammed on the brake it could mean a needle through the eye or something!
The more I think about this the more I have been wondering. If I order HOT coffee (proper brewing temperature is reportedly around 195 degrees) and burn myself after I spill the HOT coffee I can sue the vendor of the coffee. Can I sue the manufacture and LYS that sold me the knitting needle when I stab myself while walking and knitting? I don't remember and warning on any knitting needle about the knitting needle be sharp and pointy and that I could stab myself by knitting while;
  • walking
  • riding in a car
  • riding in a bus
  • riding a horse
  • during an earthquake
  • in a air plane
  • etc.
I can see the infomercial now. "Have you been stabbed while knitting? Call the law offices of Purl, Cable and Yarn Over for a free consultation. Call today."

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
OffJumpsJack (07-22-2009)
Old 07-21-2009, 06:47 PM   #37
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
Call the law offices of Purl, Cable and Yarn Over for a free consultation.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #38
LizzieK8
1st Leg of the Journey

A waist is a terrible thing to mind and mind is a terrible thing to waste.

I'm not sure I can buy into all accidents can be avoided. I have no control over the actions of others, and as, happened to me, I was driving across a four lane road with the light and someone hidden behind trucks ran the light and broadsided me. I can think of no way to avoid that other than holding up traffic and inching across, which would piss someone else off who would speed up and possibly do something reckless.

Life is life and one can be reasonable in the attempt to keep themselves and their loved ones safe and sound, but to live in a state of fear will end your life faster from stress related disease than walking and knitting would....

Just my two cents....gotta go, going walking with my BFF and have to finish up the socks....
OffJumpsJack (07-22-2009)
Old 07-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #39
pinksugar
Ribbing the Cuff

LOL.

You guys made me laugh :D

I think that infomercial sounds like a winner!
pinksugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #40
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

Well, I've been reading this thread and avoiding posting, then I remembered this is Knitting Help and people here don't chew you up and eat you for breakfast for disagreeing, so here it goes.

I completely agree with the OP. It just seems an unnecessary risk. This accidents will happen anyway mind set, just doesn't work for me.

Car accidents happen. We still take safety precautions and wear seat belts and look for the best safety features in our cars. We don't say accidents will happen anyway so why bother.

People will break in to others houses. We still take safety precautions and lock our doors and buy alarm systems. We don't say why bother and leave things hanging open.

Kids will fall off bikes. We make them wear helmets as a safety precaution.

People going for walks will fall, trip, be attacked by others or even get hit by cars (dramatic, I know, but read the news, it happens somewhere daily). We should still take safety precautions by paying attention.

If someone is going for a walk and they see someone coming their way driving like an idiot then they can go, "look, there's an idiot, I better move" If you aren't paying attention because you are knitting or otherwise preoccupied, you may not see them coming. Likewise, you may have seen the hole you fell in, or the shady character coming your way, etc.

I agree with the pp who said common sense is key. Safety precautions are common sense. To me paying attention while you go out for a walk is a safety precaution.

Lieuvena
Lieuvena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lieuvena For This Useful Post:
cacunn (07-22-2009)