Old 07-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
dturner
Turning the Heel

Noro silk garden - joining
After seeing ArtLady's beautiful Noro handspun scarves, I decided that I just had to make one! I am using Noro Silk garden Lite. Well, I am about 10" into the scarf, and I have run into a knot in the yarn. The color of the yarn abruptly changes from deep purple (before the knot) to teal (after the knot). I did a Russian join, but I don't know that the abrupt color change will look right, when the other changes will be gradual changes. I was thinking that maybe I could cut out the teal, and reattach the purple yarn to another section of purples in the ball. Then maybe I could reattach the teal when I reach a point in the yarn where it will match. I hope this makes sense. It's a little hard to explain! Anyway, has anyone run into this problem with this yarn or a similar yarn?

Thanks!
dturner is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-23-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Noro tends to have a lot of knots or joins where the colors don't change gradually. Maybe they just want you to buy a couple extra so you can make the colors gradiate the way they're supposed to...?

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
That's the one thing that drives me crazy about the Noro yarns. For some things, the change in color didn't matter, but for a sweater that I'm working on now, I wanted the sleeves to be close to matching each other. I went to great lengths to make sure to start the skeins at the same color, then *KNOT* different color totally.

You can certainly take out whatever colors you like and switch them around. The Silk Garden felts together very well, so joins don't need knots.

There is a mustardy color that I find unpleasant in one of the Silk Gardens that I used, so I just took it out as I went.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
dturner (07-26-2009)
Old 07-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
knitasha
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
There is a mustardy color that I find unpleasant in one of the Silk Gardens that I used, so I just took it out as I went.
I'm using two colorways of Silk Garden for Brooklyn Tweed's ribbed striped scarf. Both contain gray, which is fine, but one had such a long, endless run of gray that it was dulling down a whole section of the scarf. So I cut out a couple of yards and moved right into a pretty blue. I figure it's my yarn and I'll treat it any way I like.
dturner (07-26-2009)
Old 07-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Quote:
I figure it's my yarn and I'll treat it any way I like.
You go!!!!!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
dturner (07-26-2009)
Old 07-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
dturner
Turning the Heel

Thanks, so much! I tried joining the yarn at the knot, but I decided that the abrupt color change would look really weird. I ended up cutting out a section that would blend into the section that I knitted before the knot. I do have two balls of the same dye lot. I have finished the scarf, and I really like the way it turned out. I'll post pics after I finish blocking it! My colorway had a longer run of grey and black than I really cared for, too, but I ended up using it. I didn't want to unwind and join the yarn again! LOL
dturner is offline   Reply With Quote