Old 07-24-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
Arielluria
Instepping Out

BE FEARLESS IN KNITTING - Best Advice For New Knitters!!!!!!!!!!
My best advice to new knitters and crocheters is BE FEARLESS, it's the only way you will A) advance and quickly & B) find out what you thought was 'hard' is a piece of cake!!!!!!!!!!!!

Using myself as an example, I started by making a simple dog sweater (because I shaved my dogs a little early in the year ). I found KH for help and by my 2nd dog sweater (thanks to KH's handy videos) I made #2 below (same pattern but with fair isle). Yes, I had to frog once because my stitches were too tight when changing colors, but it was a learning experiece.

Sweater #1:

Sweater #2:

Then I kept hearing people say 'cables are easy' and I thought 'sure mac!'. So I did a swatch by casting on 20 stitches and making a simple 6 stitch cable down the middle and sure enough they were right.

So the best knitting advice anyone can ever give you is BE FEARLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW GO FORTH AND KNIT A LOT!

P.S. I also was knitting without looking in the dark within a year...........because no one ever told me I couldn't!
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Arielluria For This Useful Post:
Irishmam (07-27-2009), luvmykid28 (07-25-2009), melmac51 (07-28-2009), Mommy22alyns (07-25-2009), MoniDew (07-24-2009), shaunak93 (06-13-2010), tokmom (07-27-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Good advice, but I think your exclamation point key is stuck.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Good advice, but I think your exclamation point key is stuck.
LOL! Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode..........which means it's not stuck. I AM an exclamation point!

Old 07-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

What was it Terry Pratchett wrote...something about five exclamation points on the end of a sentence is the sure sign of a diseased mind...?

At some point or other, I read a knitting blog, and whoever it was was talking about their hero of the year. Their hero was a young woman who was just learning to knit. She gave a quote from this new knitter, who said that "everything about knitting that she thought was going to be scary and hard, had turned out to be fun and easy", and that knitting had not only opened her world to the craft and art of knitting, but also to finding out so much about herself and how much she can do even though she's afraid that she can't.

That really touched me, and I've never forgotten it, or her, ever since reading it.

There's no courage in doing things that you know you can do. When you're afraid of failing or of not being good enough, that's when you need courage to try anyway. Find that courage and try it out, because it really *is* easy and fun once you learn how -- and you'll discover that you *can* do things that you never thought you could.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
luvmykid28 (07-25-2009), melmac51 (07-28-2009), shaunak93 (06-13-2010), tigersagg (07-26-2009)
Old 07-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Thanks and I love you avatar!

This is true, fearlessness in knitting can be a good life lesson. I just have never been the type to say 'that's too hard'. Hence, my husband says the first time I made him German Chocolate Cake it was the best he's ever had (and he's an expert at it ).

Learn Hebrew? Sure. No problem. It's easier than it seems. I'm learning to speak, read and write it and like knitting, it's awesome!

Whatever your interest, in knitting or in life........go for it. Not everyone WANTS to learn lace (or Hebrew), do it if you want.

As far as I'm concerned it's only if you DON'T try that you lose. Even if once into it you decide you hate it, say you try entrelac and it's not as hard as it seems, but you decide you're never going to wear those entrelac socks. Frog it! You've learned a new technique and you've proven it's really not hard at all!

That's my next technique to accomplish, BTW. Looks easy!

Old 07-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Being fearless is an excellent life philosophy.
If you never do anything you haven't done before, well then you'll never do anything new, will you?
Eat raw squid. Go skydiving. Knit something you've never seen before. Join Peace Corps. Write a book. Whatever.
With the possible exception of Laws of Physics and Medical issues, "I can't" is just an excuse for "I don't want to."
If you don't want to, say so. But trust me. You absolutely CAN.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
wadcorbe
Ribbing the Cuff

I totally agree. I just started knitting a few months ago. One day I just felt like knitting. So I did. I bought some cheap yarn and needles from Zellers, and watched youtube videos on how to knit. I've come a long way in a short period of time. I am now knitting sweaters, hats, dresses, blankets, and toys, and I am quite comfortable giving them as gifts. With each project I complete, I have learned something new. My mom even told me yesterday that I am so talented, she's jealous! Note to self: I must make my mom a sweater as a thank you for her kind words!!
wadcorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Yes you should, and she'll be so proud to wear it and say "my daughter did it!"

BTW, welcome, I see you're new to KH. It's an awesome community.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
Arielluria
Instepping Out

I shared about my being undaunted by learning Hebrew. What things have you lept right into and found a wonderful learning experience about yourself?

Old 07-24-2009, 09:36 PM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I don't WANNA eat raw squid!!!!!!

Knitting, however, is definitely a place to be fearless and embrace imperfections. I think that because I learned when I was young, I was never afraid to try anything. It's just string, right?

I wish I was as fearless in the rest of my life, but at least I'll be wearing a lovely sweater when I back out.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote