Old 07-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
Is it ever impossible to get gauge
I spent most of last night doing tension squares. I know I knit a little looser than most people so I expected to go down a needle size or two. I am using some cotton that is supposed to be DK weight, I found a pattern that called for 23st and 32 rows to 4 inches on 4mm needles. I made mine 46 stitches wide. Well as expected mine was too big (10.5 inches instead of 8), so I went down a size, then another one, then again. I ended up with 2.75mm needles and still a little off, but it's so stiff to knit I wont bother. I got suspicious and decided to measure the wraps per inch on the yarn and I got 9, which is I suppose worsted, but it's not that far away from DK to make a difference. So I have decided to take my gauge at 4mm into consideration, then make the smallest size and hopes it works out. I have had to do this in the past but it makes it all much more complicated with the maths and all.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

Well, it is possible, but difficult, as you have discovered. Yes, sometimes the yarn is marked DK when it's really worsted, etc.

I typically attempt to match the stitches per inch as closely as possible. But I don't really concern myself too much over the rows per inch. I figure that I can adjust the length by measure easier than I can by row-counting...unless it's something very specific, like shaping an armhole...in that case, I try to make minor adjustments as best I can until the shape/length match up as best as humanly possible.

After all, I'm merely human...So, don't beat yourself up over this!! You are too!
The Following User Says Thank You to MoniDew For This Useful Post:
Lucy78green (07-24-2009)
Old 07-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

I rarely make gauge exactly, and like you, have had to adjust most patterns to my gauge. Since I seem to usually like to tinker with patterns anyway, that's not so bad...it's just another thing I have to adjust. And I am almost always off on the row gauge, too!

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
Lucy78green (07-24-2009)
Old 07-24-2009, 04:53 AM   #4
Irishmam
1st Leg of the Journey

As such a new knitter I have stuck religously to gauge and as a result already own 6 sizes of needle. What are you knitting? on my current project, it said use a 5.5mm needle but I coud not find one so have risked a 6mm. The gauge came up fine but I am still expecting the shrug to come up differently - I am going to measure me and add a few rows if needed.

Irishmam
Irishmam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irishmam For This Useful Post:
Lucy78green (07-24-2009)
Old 07-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If you use a larger needles, the sts are apt to be a bit longer. So you may be needing a few less rows. Most patterns say to knit for X inches/cm though, so you should be fine.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Lucy78green (07-24-2009)
Old 07-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
Quote:
Is it ever impossible to get gauge
Impossible? Yeah, it's quite impossible to get gauge sometimes. Or did you mean "Is it ever possible to get gauge?" My answer to that his sometimes. Both end up the same I guess.

Gauge is a slippery sucker... just when you think you've got it and and are feeling smug it goes and changes in middle of your project. Don't ask how I know...

All you can do is your best and try and work with it. You've gotten some good answers already and I've nothing to add that is helpful. I hope you can work it out!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Lucy78green (07-24-2009)
Old 07-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

I was having to keep changing down needles sizes, I usually ignore the row gauge anyway unless it's way off and I have to chuck in a few extra rows. I decided that my gauge for the yarn was closer to Aran weight wool, I found an online pattern with roughly the same gauge and I'm going to use that as a template and then make it up as I go along. I got a lot of cheap cotton and decided to make something useful like a jumper or cardigan for the summer. I was going to go with "flashy lace" but decided that all the wee holes in the jumper would make feel exposed unless I wore a t-shirt under it all the time, so I switched to "Sweetgum Duncan" without the stripes, but I couldn't get guage. Made smallest size but then it didn't look like it would go over my head.
Now I started a top-down thing using the gauge measurements from "Mr Greenjeans" but I am going to change stitch count slightly and basically make it very differently as I can't be bothered trying to get even looking cables in cotton.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
With a top down raglan, you can let a not quite there gauge slide because for the most part you do the increases until the back sts measure about half the measurement you want. Or until the sleeve sts just about meet at the underarm.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Lucy78green (07-25-2009)
Old 07-25-2009, 08:36 AM   #9
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

I've only done one other top down sweater (the last one) so I am fairly new to it, but it seemed to work out ok the last time, so fingers crossed there wont be too much fiddling.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #10
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Gauges? We don't need no steenkin gauges!

Seriously, you can always adjust the stitch counts and such if your gauge is off by too much. Pretty simple math.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
Lucy78green (07-26-2009), melmac51 (09-04-2009)