Old 07-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
sandy57th
Knitting the Flap

Ravelry is sort of like a giant internet clearing house for knitting. You may use only a tiny fraction of it, or you might try a bit of everything it offers. It's free, but you have to join. Everyone on it has their own page. You can list your yarn stash, your books, your needles, and your projects. Then everyone can check out each other's stuff. So if you want to make sweater X, you just search on it in Ravelry and you can see photos of other people's versions of it and their corrections. Want to know what others think of a yarn? Do a search and see projects made with it, plus comments on what it was like to work with, wear and wash. Plus hundreds of on-line groups and forums. You want to find a knitting group near Galveston?-- just do a search on it in Ravelry and you're very likely to find one, or others looking to put one together.
sandy57th is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #12
dairywife
Ribbing the Cuff

I helped to create my knitting group. It started when I hosted a World Wide Knit in Public event (6-13-09) at the local Starbucks. I put signs and flyers all over town. I called the local newspaper and listed it on Ravelry. I arrived at 8am and stayed there until about 9pm. And to my surprise 5 people showed up and stayed most of the time. We talked and knit and shared. We had people stiop and talk to us, ask questions and admire our work. Almost all of us had been invited to the large Knit in Public event in Ft. Worth, TX (about 35 miles from us) but all of us wanted to meet knitters closer to home. It worked out nicely, even though my family thought I had lost my mind in the beginning. We decided to come up with a regular meeting time and place. Our group now meets every Thursday and has grown a little...we average 7-8 knitters at each meeting now. We all have different skill levels and it makes for a great meeting.

dairywife is offline   Reply With Quote