Old 07-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #21
nemaent
Ribbing the Cuff

My grandmother was a terrific knitter and had some project going on at all times, as I do.

My mom, however, couldn't knit at all no matter how many times she tried. She often used a heating pad to soothe her bunched up muscles after yet another attempt.

She didn't give up, though, and 10 years ago, she took a knitting course. She is now able to make......washcloths. That's all she makes and has never tried anything else.

I don't mean to be disparaging -- she is such a great lady and so talented in so many areas (she can sew anything -- including our underwear, swimsuits, and a wool suit for my brother, to name a few.

So it definitely skipped a generation! I, on the other hand, am a fairly good knitter, but can't sew...... in site of mom's NUMEROUS attempts to teach me..... Funny, huh?
nemaent is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:13 PM   #22
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

I'm not sure I can answer to this, I was adopted.
My mother used to knit and crochet, my adoptive mother.

She stopped somewhen, I don't know exactly when.
I tried crochet first, and I could do chains. For everything else, my chains were too tight.

I asked about knitting at some point, I was still very young, and she taught me. But I forgot it soon after.

Then I picked it up again, years later. My sister showed me how to do it, and from there I learned with youtube and knittinghelp.

I'm NOT a "miss", I'm a lady!
blueygh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #23
albertpollard
1st Leg of the Journey

Craftiness and creation
I think that we being made in the image of God, have the NEED to create, be creative, craft. The FORM doesn't matter it is all an expression of the need to make something beautiful.
The ability to take raw materials and MAKE something is a wonderful gift. Sometimes it expresses itself in ways we consider bad (Some of the Tag artistry you see is actually quite beautiful, watch a line of boxcars go by sometime). Some of it may seem strange or unusual due to the materials used.
So, I believe that creativity is inherited from our creator, sometimes one generation may ignore the call...but it's still there.
Just my two cents worth.
melmac51 (08-03-2009)