Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:47 AM   #10451
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
I just finished the final with a 72.3% from what I can tell, granted she still has 3 things to grade, my current score (without knowing those 3 grades) is 80.45%. So I'm, as Mom would say, "bareassly" sitting with a B. I'll take that...hope the other 3 scores are good enough to boost me up into the B, and not below a C-I really wanna pass! I'll need to get at least a 70 on each of those that aren't graded to keep a C & pass.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:53 AM   #10452
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Abbily View Post
Emily, I'm not sure how that camera thing works- she agreed to fund your camera, except she's not actually funding it... I think I would point that out at the beginning and tell her that although you appreciate her concern for your health, if you are paying for the camera then you're not making that deal with her.

As for the other stuff (water vs. pop, etc)- I'm at that point in my life where 'cutting loose' from the parents on some issues is just getting easier. I'm 34. So, believe, me, I understand this is much easier said than done. But, at some point, you learn to look at mom and dad's advice; see the good points and the bad points; and make your own decision. That decision involves resigning yourself to dealing with their (possible) disagreement with your choice, and learning to say, "I understand your position, but this is my choice." and then letting their disagreement slide off of you. It also involves recognizing that sometimes you'll make the wrong choice, and being willing to change your mind sometimes. The point is, you'll learn to distance yourself a bit so that you can make your own decisions, be they wrong or right, without feeling responsible for your parents' feelings on the subject.
Regarding the first point: I told her exactly that. It's one thing if I owe you money, but I am not going to give you my camera (which, by the way, she wouldn't even want to use) if I don't owe you anything.
I do make my own decisions whenever possible, but since I still have to deal with the 'rents on a daily basis, it is easier 90% of the time to just give them what they want, because they seem to operate on the theory that when I explain that I understand their point but I disagree and will be making any given point on my own, they take it as a personal insult. Typically the process of getting through this involves a long, detailed, written letter, because if I try to say it dad will start yelling and I'll never get past, "I understand what you are trying to say, but." I love my dad, but he has a short fuse and doesn't listen well to anyone who disagrees with him.
Sometimes I want to shake them and scream, "YOU raised me this way. I'm independent, smart, capable of making my own reasonable decisions and then strong enough to stand up for them! These are GOOD things! Stop getting mad at me when I have my own opinions!" but I know that logic doesn't apply when they're mad at me.

Originally Posted by G J View Post
Jess, congratulations on the camera...I think! Those are some pretty tough stipulations! May I suggest keeping some nuts in the car (the kind you eat, not the weird human kind) so when you get hungry,you can have a few? Then the water won't bother your stomach and you'll get a nutritious snack that won't leave you hungry or on a sugar high. I REALLY want you to keep the camera and at least it will keep you off the soda! Are your parents funding your education or other parts of your life? If so, they can speak into how you spend your money. If not, well, then they can only make suggestions!
Nuts are a good idea. We rarely have them around because mom hates them and I have a cousin who is deathly allergic. Honestly, my ideal snack mix is as follows:
raisins (plain or yoguhrt-covered), dried cherries, cashews and/or toasted almonds, low fat/sodium wheat thins, and chex mix (plain or in just about any flavor). a few walnuts and grapes are good too. My mom's idea of trail mix, on the other hand, involves a quart of popcorn-butter-flavored oil. Which is tasty. But really, really terrible for you. Guess whose trail mix gets made for long trips? and then, well, it isn't good for us so the rules on when it gets eaten are screwed up beyond belief.
Nutrition and eating in my family is so incredibly wierd. (And for the record, I usually do lose weight when I am cooking for myself. not necessarily enough to please my mom, but enough to please my dad.)
Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
Am I glad you added that last part, I was afraid I would have to go an sit in the back of Jess' car waiting for her to go on road trips.
Chris, you are welcome to road trip with me anytime... but I hope nobody expects me to eat you. Cannibalism is against my religion.

At the fabric store, we finally took the Vogueknitting winter 08 off the shelf, which means I got to take one home free! I'm in love with the Classic Elite sweater on the back... There's also some cable work and a lovely seed stitch/lace jacket I like. All on my TO DO list. I'm doing some fun little stuff first, though: finishing socks and knitting some mushrooms!
In other words, the quilt is done tonight! Photos in the next couple of days (I owe you all a LOT of photos. They should all be up soon.)
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
Old 08-04-2009, 09:38 AM   #10453
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by jess_hawk View Post
Chris, you are welcome to road trip with me anytime... but I hope nobody expects me to eat you. Cannibalism is against my religion.

That is good I've been told a number of times that I am old, stale and sour.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #10454
cacunn
Instepping Out

Totally Off Topic.
Totally off topic.

I just walked into JoAnn Fabrics to pick up some yarn. As I approached the check out counter there was a line and my eyes started to wander. I saw that JoAnn's had their school Polyester / Rayon (Poly-viscus) school fabrics out. As I walk over I saw this red fabric that was nice. As I open up the fabric to get a good look at it I almost dropped what I had in my hand. The fabric was in the most beautiful Tartan every made. OK, I'm basis, it was the Cunningham Tartan and as a Cunningham I believe it is the most beautiful tartan there ever was made.

The cost was $7.99 US a yard reduced 30%. I bought every yard they have and at $5.99 a yard I think I have a great deal.

I have been Joneing for a Cunningham kilt for years but every time I get money saved something goes wrong. I now have my family tartan and I think I know what I am going to be doing the next couple of weekends.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #10455
jberry16
Instepping Out

Totally off topic.

I just walked into JoAnn Fabrics to pick up some yarn. As I approached the check out counter there was a line and my eyes started to wander. I saw that JoAnn's had their school Polyester / Rayon (Poly-viscus) school fabrics out. As I walk over I saw this red fabric that was nice. As I open up the fabric to get a good look at it I almost dropped what I had in my hand. The fabric was in the most beautiful Tartan every made. OK, I'm basis, it was the Cunningham Tartan and as a Cunningham I believe it is the most beautiful tartan there ever was made.

The cost was $7.99 US a yard reduced 30%. I bought every yard they have and at $5.99 a yard I think I have a great deal.

I have been Joneing for a Cunningham kilt for years but every time I get money saved something goes wrong. I now have my family tartan and I think I know what I am going to be doing the next couple of weekends.

Awesome! Good for you.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #10456
SteveDallas
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to SteveDallas Send a message via Yahoo to SteveDallas
If you are doing knee highs have you looked at the Knitting Fiend's Sockulator for knee highs? If you are putting cables on the sock don't forget to use cables on you gauge swatch.
I'll check it out.. though not really knee socks so much as mid-calf. The socks I've knitted (as well as most store-bought ones) hit right at the bottom of my calf, and they just seem doomed to slide down. I'll definitely check out Manning's... my wife went to Gettysburg College, and we drive over there once in a while to visit friends who are still around there.

Steve, welcome back! How's your family? . . . I haven't been too thrilled with very many Patons yarns. The prices are usually okay, though.
We're all going crazy in various ways! My daughter just got braces, a month after getting contacts. We're running into trouble with the addition we've been trying to put on our house. (We haven't actually started yet, because we can't get a design that a) we like, b) will pass muster with the zoning board, and c) we can afford. Any 2 out of 3 seem to be feasible....)

I liked some of the Patons stuff (my first project was a hat from Shetland Chunky), but the Kroy is just not impressive. And it's not that much cheaper than stuff like Regia or Fortissima Socka if you just want a basic, solid-color yarn. Some folks on Ravelry said the skeins "made in Slovenia" are like that & not nearly as good as what they were putting out before.

Originally Posted by jess_hawk View Post
The catch: She isn't actually FUNDING it . . . . Am I crazy for being annoyed at this?
NO you are not. Dontcha love parents?? If my 10yo son were here, he'd say, "yeah, my dad is like that.. always wants to control what I'm spending my money on!" I can't give you advice on dealing with Mom, but enjoy the camera. I learned on a Pentax K1000 back in the day, and after using some different point & shoot digital cameras, I knew I had to have a DSLR as soon as I tried one. I have a Nikon D50. Take some fun pictures for us!!

Originally Posted by jberry16 View Post
Today we did a practice run of what our 'school mornings' are going to be like . . .
Heh. Good luck! The elementary school here starts at 8:45. The middle school starts at 7:40. We still haven't adjusted to the shock of the time change when my daughter moved up. (She's starting high school now, though... 7:30!)

In knitting news, I moved the buttonholes on my FLS. Here are during and after pics. It was a headache to do, but the placement is much better. You'd think I'd learn not to make mistakes, but I sure am learning how to fix them!
I'm super impressed. It often seems easier to just let it go. But, yeah, fixing them is a learning experience. I had to re-do a couple of the cables on my socks when I went to the wrong line on the pattern. Not nearly as involved as what you did there! But you'll be very happy you went to the time & effort when you're done.

The fabric was in the most beautiful Tartan every made . . .I bought every yard they have
"Cindy, what happened to your uniform?" "Well, Sister, Mommy was going to make some for me, but when she went to the store they said some man came in and bought all the cloth they had."

Anyway, knitting news.. pictures tonight, I think. I have finished the gusset of my socks and am now waiting for more yarn! My order from Joann seems to have left Pottstown, PA, only an hour away from here, on Wednesday last week and still isn't here.

Last night I decided to give a start on my NEXT socks... I figured I should try toe-up since I haven't done that before. I started out with Judy's Magic Cast-on. I frogged it after a couple rounds because it was loose and uneven, but that's fine--now I know what I'm doing. So I start over, and the cast-on went better, but I discovered when I went to start the 4th round that I had knit the 3rd round with the tail from the cast-on. What the heck, it's only a few stitches. I frogged it again. By this time I knew it was time to give it up for the night.

As I said before I was not a fan of how the jacquard pattern on the On-Line yarn came out with the chain rib I did--the yarn's pattern and the knitted pattern interfered with each other. So I'm going to make this one nice and simple. But I really do like having ribbing all the way down.. what do you think? K3,P1? Any other nice, simple, reliable ribbing that will fit in well? The yarn I'm using is shown here.
jberry16 (08-04-2009), jess_hawk (08-05-2009)
Old 08-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #10457
jberry16
Instepping Out

I so super happy! I just got the grades from my final 3 projects & had a couple e-mails answered about a couple other projects & from my calculations it looks like my final grade for nutrition is 97.65%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I'm especially happy because I was gonna drop the class, really didn't want to take it about 6 or so weeks ago; dreaded every minute of it & look with my misery I ended up with an A!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #10458
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,955 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Julie, YAY on your FANTASTIC grade despite a crappy teacher!

Jess, YAY on the free book! LUCKY!

Chris, YAY on the fabric! What a deal!

Steve, I'm partial to a K2, P2 for the stretchiest ribbing. Yeah, changing the buttonholes was a learning experience. I'm still trying to get the last one just right....I'll keep learning!

Today is our 25th wedding anniversary! We went out for lunch and then I took DS to yet another doctor who wants to send us to yet another doctor. It's SO frustrating! The next one will be doctor #9 for his knees. Ugh.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (08-04-2009), jess_hawk (08-05-2009)
Old 08-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #10459
cacunn
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
"Cindy, what happened to your uniform?" "Well, Sister, Mommy was going to make some for me, but when she went to the store they said some man came in and bought all the cloth they had."
" and he said that he was going to make as skirt for himself . . . OOOOHH Groooossss."

Julie congrats on the grade - we knew that you could do it.

Gina congrats on the 25th anniversary - were you married when you were 2?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
G J (08-04-2009), jberry16 (08-04-2009)
Old 08-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #10460
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Hello everyone!

Julie gave me a little kick in the bum and a reminder that I have friends on KH! Silly me for being so absent lately, I apologize.

I hope you're all doing well- I am always here reading, even if I'm not replying!

I have been knitting a lot and finished a pair of socks for Sandy (josh's mom) and a baby sweater for Josh's cousin. I also started a pair of mittens and finished one of them last night.

The socks are Rainy Day Socks in Louet Gems Neptune.

The baby sweater is Quickie Baby Sweater in Bernat Super Value in lilac. The sweater is more purple than it looks there.

The mitten is a new pattern called Lofty Wool Cable Mittens and they're in Louet Gems Bulky in Caribbean Blue.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sandyssocks5.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	53202  Click image for larger version

Name:	Sandyssocks6.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	53203  Click image for larger version

Name:	babysweater.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	53204  Click image for larger version

Name:	babysweater2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	53205  Click image for larger version

Name:	mitten.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	53206  

Click image for larger version

Name:	mitten2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	53207  

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post:
1to1 (08-06-2009), jess_hawk (08-05-2009)
Closed Thread