Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #10501
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

I missed a lot considering I was only away from my laptop for a couple of days! Suffering from information overload so I will just say, nice knits everyone!

I've not been doing much. Still job hunting. I had another interview today, for a job I don't really want but hey, it pays (not very well but better than jobseekers benefit which is what I am currently getting). They will get in touch within the next two days if they want me to come back in to talk to them again.

Also heard back from another job (a graduate job that I do want but am not sure is going to be very practical as it won't leave me much time to do the evening course I've signed up to) so I have to fill in some stuff for them and send it back - if I get an interview I will be happy bearing in mind how much competition I have for that job. The most recent figures suggest there are around 50 graduates for every graduate job at the moment. This particular firm have already narrowed it down from 200 so I'm happy that they are even considering me.

Not much knitting going on at the moment, have found a new interest in Agatha Christie books so I've been reading. I've also been babysitting a lot. My aunt has a 6 week old baby so I've been helping out with her other two (2 year old twins!) Today they covered me in bubble mixture, thank god they haven't been introduced to paint yet!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #10502
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Hello all! - 3 days in a row!

Just spending the morning lazing around before I go to work 1:30-9:30. I should be doing laundry, but I just don't feel like it. Closing shifts are not ideal to me. I like 9:30-5 shifts because I am much more of a morning person. By about 7 in the evening I start to wind down, but that's not possible when you're still at work!

Steve- Great socks! I especially like the middle ones- I'm such a sucker for cables.

Dustina- You should get the stuff to make thrummed mittens and make them with me!

Chris- I hope he brings me something back- I want a Lindsay souvenir! He isn't great at remembering us, so I will be pleasantly surprised if I get something.

Julie- I have always loved babies and kids too. My mom would probably say the same as your mom. I loved babysitting as a kid and I always had a lot of babydolls.

Gina- No wedding bells just yet, but we are definitely talking about it. A lot of our friends are getting married, so that's been fun. We are focussing on buying our house, then the wedding since it will be $$$.

Okay, off to shower and get ready for work! Hope you all have a great day!

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post:
dustinac (08-06-2009), jberry16 (08-06-2009)
Old 08-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #10503
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by G J View Post
Chris, how experienced are you at sewing? Doing the dark back pleat is not so easy and makes the fabric quite thick. Most women don't like to wear them b/c it makes for a "thicker" look and very heavy fabric.
Gina
I have sew three kilts already and have been doing sewing on and off since my teens. The fabric is not the thick and even with three layers of pleat stacked on top of each other is probably not as thick as one layer of normal kilt wool.

On the pleats I have done so far I run a straight stitch about 1/8 inch from the outer edge of the pleat. This way the pleat is always sharp. The most difficult part is tapering the top of the pleats in the back. Each pleat is tapered from the widest part of the hips to the waist and then fairs back out for an inch or so. This can be tricky to get right.

Dustina
The belt should wrap around two pulleys, one at the motor and the other at the washer tub. The pulleys are two flat wheels with a grove on the edge, basically like a spinning wheel. The belt may have just popped off and once back may run fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
dustinac (08-06-2009)
Old 08-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #10504
cacunn
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
They're supposed to be gray ... I hope it's the combination of camera + computer + monitor and not my eyes! The pattern is "Braided Cable with Garter Rib" from Sensational Socks by Charlene Schurch.
That good I think I have that book at home. As for the color yes monitors, lighting and eye do vary. I am always hesitant to mention a color unless I am sure. And good job on adjusting the pattern, one size never fits anyone.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #10505
cacunn
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by rachejm View Post
Not much knitting going on at the moment, have found a new interest in Agatha Christie books so I've been reading.
As long as the knit pattern is not to complicated - Books on tape/cd

Old 08-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #10506
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Ann~ohh that would be fun, where did you order the kit from?

rachejm~I used to read a lot but then knitting took over...good luck on the jobs!

Chris~Thanks, JD checked at Lowes or maybe Home Depot and they told him it sound like a bushing? but then JD remembered a family friend in the area that works on cars and stuff...so I called around and he said the bushing too...said he would come out on Saturday and charge only for the part and 20 for his time...so I said sure (better than us messing it up and then buying a new washer)

JD heard back from the job and they made him an offer...it's more than what he make now but less than what he asked for. The position he has now they have already told him as soon as they can they will give him a raise and it will be about what the new job is offering....his bosses hate to see him move so they are crunching numbers and talking with him...so he isn't sure what he will do...I told him I was proud of him it's wonderful that they want him and the old bosses want to keep him so bad...but the decision would have to be his...cause I really have no idea what would be for the best..

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
knitgal (08-07-2009)
Old 08-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #10507
cacunn
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by dustinac View Post
JD checked at Lowes or maybe Home Depot and they told him it sound like a bushing?

The position he has now they have already told him as soon as they can they will give him a raise and it will be about what the new job is offering....his bosses hate to see him move so they are crunching numbers and talking with him...so he isn't sure what he will do...I told him I was proud of him it's wonderful that they want him and the old bosses want to keep him so bad...but the decision would have to be his...cause I really have no idea what would be for the best..
Dustina why do you have your washer in the bushes?

Tell JD that we are all proud of him and it is nice to be wanted.

The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
dustinac (08-06-2009)
Old 08-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #10508
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
Dustina why do you have your washer in the bushes?
that's how we do it out in the country...where do ya'll keep yours?

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
Old 08-06-2009, 09:43 PM   #10509
sue in canada
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,270 Posts
Ann: Glad you are enjoying the assistant manager position, closing shifts are not so good. Yes I am still making cards. I now have friends wanting me to make them, but I do enjoy it. Sorry no knitting, but hopefully my mojo will come back when the weather changes. Thrum mittens will be really warm. I should think about the Knitters Fair in September for inspiration.

Jackie: Hope you get the yarn problem solved.

Steve: The socks look great. They do look grey on my computer.

Chris: You can make a kilt? You are talented.

Dustina: Good luck for JD and the job situation.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #10510
cacunn
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by dustinac View Post
that's how we do it out in the country...where do ya'll keep yours?
In the bath room. This way I can undress, put the clothes in the washer, shower, put the clothes in the dryer, shave and put the clothes back on. How else?

Originally Posted by sue in canada View Post
Chris: You can make a kilt? You are talented.
Machine stitched, I have not done the hand stitched traditional yet. Maybe in a year or so I'll try that.

Closed Thread