Old 08-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Interchangeable Needles -- Storing Cables
What do you do? (Or do you keep all of them out on WIPs? )

I have the KP Options and the clear zippered case -- I like it for storing the needles, but the cables are too messy laying in the middle and separate cable case is too bulky to fit more than one inside of it.

I considered getting the KP binder because I like the idea of storing the cables in sleeves, but I'm not sure that I want something that bulky for storing my needle tips too.

My current thought is to link the individual sleeves with a couple of loose binder rings, rather than investing in the whole binder, and keeping them separate from the needle case.

However, I'd like to hear what other people are doing and whether there is a better solution.

Thanks!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (08-05-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
That's exactly what I did! I have the binder, but it was too big and bulky to carry with me. I took the pages out and put rings through the holes and labeled each page with the needle and cable sizes. Each size mostly has their own page. I prefer to keep the needles and cables together. One of my social knitting friends does this, too.

That reminds me... I need to order more pages.. The zippers break eventually. I've had them for awhile now.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (08-05-2009), sakura-panda (12-05-2009)
Old 08-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Thanks, Jan! That's good to know that it's something that would work. I bought some of the pages already so I just have to play around with them and figure out which ones I need more than two to use -- I won't bother with the binder.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
That's exactly what I did! I have the binder, but it was too big and bulky to carry with me. I took the pages out and put rings through the holes and labeled each page with the needle and cable sizes. Each size mostly has their own page. I prefer to keep the needles and cables together. One of my social knitting friends does this, too.

That reminds me... I need to order more pages.. The zippers break eventually. I've had them for awhile now.
This is a brilliant idea! I have the binder and it is pretty bulky. I never thought of getting the binder rings to keep everything together! Great idea!

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Originally Posted by lelvsdgs View Post
This is a brilliant idea! I have the binder and it is pretty bulky. I never thought of getting the binder rings to keep everything together! Great idea!
Thanks! I didn't start it though my friend did. It still takes up room, but it's better than the binder and now I always have my needles with me.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

I keep my cables in those pockets you can buy to hold CDs (the kind you put into a little CD zip thingy), and keep two of those pockets in my clear zip bag that came with the interchangeable set. The cables stay in the pockets if I coil them up properly, there's four pockets, I can see what's in the pockets without taking them out of the zip bag, and they're very thin and light.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
sakura-panda (12-05-2009)
Old 08-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
dturner
Turning the Heel

I also use a zippered binder. I use pocket pencil holders to keep needles and cbbles of different sizes. The pockets at the front of the binder are great for storing other knitting notions. As Jan mentioned, it is too bulky to carry with you, but it's great for storing needles and cables that you're not using. Here's a pic of mine.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	needlestor.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	53216  
dturner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dturner For This Useful Post:
sakura-panda (12-05-2009)