Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Sandralu
Casting On
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
knitting in the round w/ circular needles
I'm knitting a tote, so I've knitted 80 rows for the base. I'm now to start knitting in the round, using circular needles, and pick up yarn from short and long sides of the piece I've already knitted (the 80 rows). Don't know how to do this.
Sandralu is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-19-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
cacunn
Instepping Out
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: state of total confusion
Posts: 1,866
Thanks: 1,298
Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Can you post a link to the pattern?

There is also a video of picking up stitches on the help section of KnittingHelp

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips


It is toward the bottom of the page.
__________________

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Sandralu
Casting On
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
Can you post a link to the pattern?

There is also a video of picking up stitches on the help section of KnittingHelp

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips


It is toward the bottom of the page.
http://redcorsetdesigns.blogspot.com...elt-me-up.html
Sandralu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
Sandralu
Casting On
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
knitting in round w/ circular needles
Originally Posted by Sandralu View Post
http://redcorsetdesigns.blogspot.com...elt-me-up.html
Here's the site that I got the pattern from. I'm now to the point that I'm to start working on the body...picking up stitches on all sides. This is the part that confuses me. Thanks for the help!
Sandralu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Mirl56
Instepping Out
 
Mirl56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,298
Thanks: 455
Thanked 720 Times in 670 Posts
I find it easiest if I do the picking up and first few rows with double pt needles - just use one needle for each side.

You've got live stitches on one needle on one edge. It's a little tricky to turn the corner to get to the next side (that's why I like to use dble pt needles for this part). Use a new needle and pick up the stitches along the nest side. Then use a 3rd needle to pick up stitches on the next side - it'll be the same number as the live stitches you started with on the first needle. Ditto the 4th side.

After you knit a few rounds with the dbl pt needles, it's faairly easy to switch to a circular needle, you probably want a 16" needle.
__________________
Marilyn

******
Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
cacunn
Instepping Out
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: state of total confusion
Posts: 1,866
Thanks: 1,298
Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
SandraLu did the video help you pick up your stitches? I think watching is easier than words for my understanding.
__________________

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
Sandralu (08-20-2009)
Old 08-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
Sandralu
Casting On
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mirl56 View Post
I find it easiest if I do the picking up and first few rows with double pt needles - just use one needle for each side.

You've got live stitches on one needle on one edge. It's a little tricky to turn the corner to get to the next side (that's why I like to use dble pt needles for this part). Use a new needle and pick up the stitches along the nest side. Then use a 3rd needle to pick up stitches on the next side - it'll be the same number as the live stitches you started with on the first needle. Ditto the 4th side.

After you knit a few rounds with the dbl pt needles, it's faairly easy to switch to a circular needle, you probably want a 16" needle.
Mirl56, I'll give this a try....and the video Cacunn sent was great. I'm not the best with the DP that's why I chose this pattern, since I'm use to circular needles....but there's hope for me yet. Thanks a bunch!
Sandralu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
Sandralu
Casting On
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
SandraLu did the video help you pick up your stitches? I think watching is easier than words for my understanding.
Thanks Cacunn....I want to call you Cancun...guess I'm thinking about a vacation!! Your video link was extremely helpful. Bear with me...I'm getting use to this website and how it works. I should've been a man since I don't like to read the "how to utilize this site". Thanks again!!
Sandralu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
Sandralu
Casting On
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandralu View Post
Thanks Cacunn....I want to call you Cancun...guess I'm thinking about a vacation!! Your video link was extremely helpful. Bear with me...I'm getting use to this website and how it works. I should've been a man since I don't like to read the "how to utilize this site". Thanks again!!
One more thing...I'm use to starting on DP (at the beginning of a project), but have never used them after knitting 80 rows. I think this is what is most confusing.
Sandralu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #10
cacunn
Instepping Out
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: state of total confusion
Posts: 1,866
Thanks: 1,298
Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
They have a how to utilize this site faq? I just click on buttons to find out where it goes. I drive my DW crazy on trips because I drive the same way.

But as to your question, on this I may not be the one to ask, I have not been knitting that long. knit socks toes-up to avoid picking up stitches at the flap. But IMHO a needle is a needle, if it can be done with DP it can be done with circulars, and on the other side if it can be done with circulars it can be done with DP. A lot has to do with what you are comfortable with.

Like the video I was taught to pick up and knit straight to the circular needle. I may be easier if you use a longer circular needle than a short needle.
__________________

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Knitting an Afghan in the Round on 2 Circular Needles? Oxymoronic How-to Questions 4 03-31-2012 07:56 PM
**Circular Needles and Knitting in the Round??** Simone General Knitting 6 11-30-2007 05:16 PM
Circular needles?? Can you use them if not knitting round? LeftFootGreen How-to Questions 4 03-19-2007 11:08 AM
Knitting in the round(circular needles) aineepooh1 How-to Questions 3 08-15-2006 02:52 PM
Knitting in a round with circular or Dp needles KnitObsesser How-to Questions 2 12-01-2005 10:15 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:30 AM.