Old 08-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #6221
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,908 Posts
Originally Posted by antique View Post
Hi, I am wondering if the knob on the left of my spinning wheel on my profile picture has anything to do with tension adjustment or is it just decoration? It slightly twists, but I can't imagine it is connected to anything.
I'm going to copy your post to the "Spinning" section of our forum, so you'll get some answers. Good luck with your wheel!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #6222
dorismcl
Casting On

from Newmarket & Northbrook, Ontario
Hello to all knitters: I am not new to knitting etc. but I am to computer skills. Have been knitting since my Mother showed me how to hold the needles or hooks. I used to knit the "necessaries for my children & grandchildren. Now I knit when I see some new wool that I can't resist or a pattern that fascinates me. Then I decide who will get it for Christmas. Also do charity and volunteer activities using my needle skills. I will start watch this site for new ideas.
dorismcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #6223
doridon
Casting On

I'm new!
Hi everyone. I am new to knitting after a hiatus of MANY years due to a bad experience with a project as a 4-H member. I love this site already and look forward to all of your help and experience.
doridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #6224
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Welcome
KH is a great site. Welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by stacjer View Post
Need help with needle size for ribbing. What a wonderful site! The forums are so helpful. Am just learning to knit and of all things I want to try a sweater. Instructions call for 7 and 11 size needles. The front is worked in three pieces. Instructions say to work side panels with smaller needles. Center panel is worked using larger needles. The instructions say to do ribbing with smaller needles for back, but does not say to change to larger needles. If instructions do not say to change to larger needle, should I continue ribbing with smaller needles after casting on for back? In my knitting books it says to do ribbing on smaller needles?
Originally Posted by elanger View Post
I've just discovered this site and am looking forward to interaction with other knitters. I've knitted on and off for more than 40 years nowand have lately become addicted to knitting socks and Maggie Jackson designs. I love working with bamboo yarn and am constantly on the lookout for it-it's still a little scarce in the yarn shops here in Wisconsin.

I recently came across a pattern which calls for a french cast on. Can't find instructions for it in any of my many reference books-anyone help?

stacjer and elanger, There are several sections to this forum. The How to Questions section would be the best place to post your questions. A moderator may be by soon to copy your questions over there. I included a link (above) to the section so you can search for help there if you like.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #6225
CraftyDad
Casting On

Happy to be here ...
Hey all,

Just picked up the pointy sticks again. It's been over a year since I tried to learn to knit. I've been crocheting for many years (not a pro or anything, but....I can handle a hook). It seems very awkward to go from a single hook to two needles. Geez...must just be me...but it's been tough to get the hang of it.

Amy's videos are great! They have helped me a lot and I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. I'm going to knit myself a simple scarf for this winter as my first project.

I'll keep you posted!

--mike
CraftyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #6226
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Welcome, Mike! Nice to have you here with us!

Keep us posted about your scarf! The WHATCHA KNITTING forum will be looking for your progress! I love scarves! They are kind of addicting! Now I want a different scarf for every coat! Oy! If you need any help...feel free to post your questions in our HOW TO forum! People are very responsive! You'll get so much help you might be sorry you asked! Just kidding!

Once you've got the two sticks comfortably mastered, you'll never go back to one stick! Happy Knitting!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #6227
Mommie2myboys
Casting On

Hi, I'm new here.
Hi, I'm a SAHM of two, both boys, ages 3 & 1. I tried to teach my self to knit for a couple of years, but I didn't learn much. I took a class earlier this year and I love it. I used to crochet as a child, so I am also re-aquainting my self with that , and I'm learning to sew as well. Since learning to knit I have made two prayer shawls, a baby blanket, a hat, and booties, and right now I'm working on another baby blanket, and finishing a purse. I want to learn to make a sweater, but I must admit to being intimidated by that. I look froward to getting to others with similar interests.
Mommie2myboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #6228
mgdappen
Casting On

Hi! I'm sort of a newbie......

so i've taken a couple of knitting classes at the local michaels store (about 4 years ago??) and have made a shawl, i dunno how many scarves, and some felted purses....all pretty simple. but i've been collecting all of these great knitting patterns. i'm easily intimidated maybe since i'm still just collecting these patterns.

my current project is a baby blanket (found the pattern on www.debbiemacomber.com) and after knitting the first 12 rows i'm sort of stuck. the instructions say to "place a marker" before the last 18 stitches for four consecutive rows, then the next four consecutive rows i''m supposed to "slip the marker". is this different terminology for doing the same thing? definitions i've found in books and online indicate that it is.

i love knitting and i really want to finish this project........
mgdappen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:33 AM   #6229
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by mgdappen View Post

so i've taken a couple of knitting classes at the local michaels store (about 4 years ago??) and have made a shawl, i dunno how many scarves, and some felted purses....all pretty simple. but i've been collecting all of these great knitting patterns. i'm easily intimidated maybe since i'm still just collecting these patterns.

my current project is a baby blanket (found the pattern on www.debbiemacomber.com) and after knitting the first 12 rows i'm sort of stuck. the instructions say to "place a marker" before the last 18 stitches for four consecutive rows, then the next four consecutive rows i''m supposed to "slip the marker". is this different terminology for doing the same thing? definitions i've found in books and online indicate that it is.

i love knitting and i really want to finish this project........
Welcome to KnittingHelp!

I posted an answer to your question over on the How to Questions section. Over there it will get more attention and comments than it would here.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OffJumpsJack For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (08-21-2009), mgdappen (08-21-2009), Shandeh (08-21-2009)
Old 08-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #6230
CraftyDad
Casting On

Thanks for the warm welcome, Katie! I'll keep you posted on the progress of scarf. Now....where did I put those needles?

BTW: i think i'm going to use 10 or 10.5 needles for worsted weight wool yarn. Does that sound right?

Thanks,
Mike
CraftyDad is offline   Reply With Quote