Old 08-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #11
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

categories
Thank you for the categories! I agree with them the way you have them separated!
Past Portfolio reviewer for Crochet Guild of America
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #12
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Funny! Hope they have plenty of needles...I did the same thing!

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #13
lgoddard
Knitting the Flap

Thanks all, I just realized I typed the wrong name in my followup question too, oops!
Knit N Style was the one I was checking on but you all apparently realized that.
Was just curious if anyone had received their copy before the bill. Hmmm, wonder if that will have to be sent in before we ever get the first copy even though it is supposed to be a "trial" copy.
lgoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #14
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Oh - I sent the card in practically the day after I got it. I got the bill about 7-10 days ago and paid it right away. I figure I won't get the needle until they get paid.

Usually, if my ultimate aim is to get a free issue of whatever magazine it is, I don't pay until I get the first issue, even if I get the bill first.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #15
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
That's my general policy too, and usually they arrive within a few days of each other. I might just go ahead and pay it, maybe I'll get the needles before the first issue....

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #16
suzeeq
Knit On!

I got my copy in the mail today. Will be sending the payment so I can get my needles.....

Old 08-22-2009, 04:34 AM   #17
cristina61
Knitting the Flap

I posted about this on a Ravelry thread, too.

I got that same post card and decided to go for it. I wasn't too surprised when I got the invoice before I got the magazine, but it still annoyed me that when I went to their web site to check my subscription status it said, under my name: "PAY NOW! You have an outstanding payment due of $19.97; you have 5 issues remaining on your current subscription.”

Another thing that bugs me is that their wording on the postcard makes it sound as though the first issue is free (“Let us rush you the next issue of Knit n Style magazine to explore in the comfort of your own home −− FREE! There’s NO RISK!”), but it's not free. The $19.97 is for all six issues, including the first one.

I get that this is a standard magazine practice, and it's not terrible, but why do they throw in that word "FREE" when it's not? (I know why ). I just felt like I really wanted to examine the magazine before committing to a subscription, and as soon as I sent the postcard in, BAM -- I had a subscription and owed them money.

I'm now having trouble deciding if I want to subscribe because even though none of the patterns in the first issue are my style, I do enjoy the regular columns, especially the one that compares various yarns.

I guess if I really want that circular needle I should order the tips directly from Knit Picks; that's a lot cheaper than $19.97.

cristina61 on

** My poor neglected blog is here

RIP Gabby (9/12/2009) -- I miss you SO much. We'll never forget what a sweet girl you were!

cristina61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #18
suzeeq
Knit On!

Actually, I think the first issue really IS free -- if you get it and don't want to continue the description and send the invoice back with 'cancel' written on it. They're not going to come to your house and demand the magazine back or that you pay for it. The reason the website shows that you had 5 issues left is because they sent out the first one, it just takes a few days to get to you. You should have it in another couple days or so.

I decided to pay online so I could get the needles faster.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:31 PM   #19
cristina61
Knitting the Flap

Yes, I've got the magazine, it arrived last Thursday, about 2 weeks after the invoice.

I guess you're probably right about the issue technically being free, I'm just a little annoyed by their vague language and the fact that they're assuming I'll subscribe and I already owe them money. I was even starting to believe that if I decide not to subscribe they'll charge me for the one issue!

I usually avoid magazine subs but I fell for the "free" needle come-on. I read and re-read the postcard trying to figure out if the needle came with the first issue or what; it wasn't until after I'd sent the card back that I realized I'd only get the needle once I paid.

I don't mean to slam Knit 'n Style -- I understand this is how the magazine/subscription business works, and I voluntarily sent the card in. This is just a general sort of mini vent.

cristina61 on

** My poor neglected blog is here

RIP Gabby (9/12/2009) -- I miss you SO much. We'll never forget what a sweet girl you were!

cristina61 is offline   Reply With Quote