Old 08-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #6251
KYknitwit
Casting On

Thanks for being here~
I am so glad i found this site and all you wonderful people!
Can't wait to learn some new things.
Thank you.
Angi

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #6252
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by jimhim View Post
hello to all,

My name is James, I am a newbie, and new to knitting , when i was a kid I used to watch my aunty knitting in the corner for hours on end.

now I have decided to take it up. I have been knitting the past week well , if you call it knitting with knots and holes more than i can count , i would also like to know if there are many men at this as i would like to here form them , just to place my mind at rest

Also i would like to know for starting off what is the best size knitting needles to use. i have 7MM,5MM,2.5MM,and 5MM circular knitting pin and a set of sock knit pins ( if anyone can tell me what these are for? i would be great full)
and finally a crochet hook 5MM

Many thanks

James Carpenter

James, sock knit pin? (adjusting for Commonwealth English to US English) I'd guess they are a set of 4 or 5 double pointed needles or DPNs as often abbreviated here.

I'm Jack (or John) and there are a few fellow male knitters here. Not long ago a thread was started, Any mem knitters out there. If you visit there you'll see your not alone.

Some of us men also crochet. Sometimes the bigger question is how many knitters or crocheter practice the craft in public.

Welcome to KnittingHelp (KH) and have a look about the forum. You'll find it is organized into a few sections with self explaining titles.

Good luck with your brothers. I guess you can't just knock some sense into 'em?

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #6253
Caroljean
Casting On

What a great website!
I just found this website yesterday and can't wait to share it with the knitting group I go to at the Library in Clovis, California on Tuesdays. We range in age from 20's to 94 (!) and are at every level from beginner to expert. I am somewhat more than a novice, but taught myself from a book years ago and have just recently started again.

The videos are absolutely fabulous!!!
Caroljean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #6254
knit4peace
Casting On

Hello!
Im Natalie... Im new at knitting and the site... I came across it while looking for ways to cast off! I got it down until it comes to tieing it and cutting... i dont think im doing that right!
knit4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #6255
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful KH Forum, everyone!

Originally Posted by jimhim View Post
.........i would also like to know if there are many men at this as i would like to here form them , just to place my mind at rest
Hi James!
As you can see, there are several male knitters in our forum. In fact, one of our moderators is a man! Welcome.

Originally Posted by Rorshach View Post
Hello to all, both new and old friends.
Welcome back, Aaron!

Originally Posted by gracielynn View Post
I love knitting .. I just completed my first ever SOCK last evening . I say completed . but I didn't do the grafting.. I think you call it......
Hi Lisa!
The toe grafting is called "kitchener stitch"
You can see several websites about how to do it here:
Kitchener Stitch Websites

Originally Posted by knit4peace View Post
Im Natalie... Im new at knitting and the site... I came across it while looking for ways to cast off! I got it down until it comes to tieing it and cutting... i dont think im doing that right!
When you finish binding off all the stitches, leave a long tail of yarn and cut it. Then just pull the tail to tighten it, and weave in the long tail through the back of your work with a yarn needle. Good luck!
You'll see an illustrated guide here on this webpage. Just scroll down the page to see "Binding Off".
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #6256
knit4peace
Casting On

thank you!!!!!!
knit4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:35 AM   #6257
Rorshach
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Rorshach Send a message via Yahoo to Rorshach
Thanks for the welcome back, Shandeh. I'm just about finished with a sweater I've been working with on and off over the last year or so, when I'm done I'll be posting pics of it.

Wisdom is knowing what to do. Skill is how to do it. Virtue is getting it done.

That which does not kill you, isn't trying hard enough.
Rorshach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:22 AM   #6258
penn
Casting On

newby
hi just found this forum I have a brother 950 machine i've never got to grips with so hope this can help rekindle interest. I have other machines and love to knit and am now retired so have more time. Thanks for a very interesting and informative forum.
penn
penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #6259
anneshaw
Casting On

Just found your site as I searched for help in doing the Pebble Pattern. A beginner for the most part, I am away from my helpful knitting group and instructor. Started knitting because of granddaughter's interest. My passions are God's Word, my husband and family, sewing, and now am beginning to have a knitting passion.

Live in beautiful East Tennessee mostly, but some time in FL. I try to play golf!!!!!!!!
anneshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #6260
daniaguirre
Casting On

Hello!
I love this site! I am a new knitter. I have two young girls and needed a relaxing hobby. Little did I know that when I started knitting, it would become something I absolutely love and feel was meant to do. The accomplishment of creating something gives me new found joy! So far I have completed a few crooked scarves and little odds and ends that to the delight of my little girls, have become capes,blankets etc for their Barbies! I look forward to learning more and appreciate this site! Thanks! Danielle
daniaguirre is offline   Reply With Quote