Old 08-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #11
outdoordrea
Knitting the Flap

A great idea
And here's a better one for the planet: bring your own coffee mug!

Nice job on the coffee sleeve, though

Knitting Escapade
outdoordrea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to outdoordrea For This Useful Post:
Phaedra (08-28-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #12
Phaedra
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Phaedra
Originally Posted by outdoordrea View Post
And here's a better one for the planet: bring your own coffee mug!

Nice job on the coffee sleeve, though
I would like to say I'd use a reusable, non-disposible cup; but I wouldn't be telling the truth.

Do have to say I get a great kick out of using the sleeve; and the quirky looks I get at the check-out counter. And it actually disperses the heat quite well. Totally felt the difference when I purchased 2 cups: my wool insulated one and a recycled cardboard one for a co-worker.
By the way, I never mentioned that this is from scrap sock yarn. I might make up a few as gifts.
Phaedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #13
Woodi
Turning the Heel

I like the way your pattern has rolls on it, which gives it more thickness, doesn't it?
Care to share your personal pattern? My DD frequents coffee shops and needs sleeves. I could put them in her Xmas stocking.
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodi For This Useful Post:
Phaedra (08-29-2009)
Old 08-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #14
Phaedra
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Phaedra
Originally Posted by Woodi View Post
I like the way your pattern has rolls on it, which gives it more thickness, doesn't it?
Care to share your personal pattern? My DD frequents coffee shops and needs sleeves. I could put them in her Xmas stocking.
Thank you; I really just winged it. The "bumps" (rolls) give me assurance of grip; I was looking ahead to when I would be using this with gloves this winter.
First, I ended up using just one 16-inch size US 1 circular and knitted back and forth (I would have knitted it in the round, but I couldn't find the other needle; could have used DP needles, but didn't want to.)

Long tail cast-on 62 stitches and slipping the first stitch of every row (easier to sew later), begin reverse stockinette (purl right side, knit wrong side) 8 rows. [This makes the first "bump"]
Then changing to "regular" stockinette (knit right side, purl wrong side), this is also the first decrease row: knit 29, k2tog twice = 60 stitches. Continue knitting for 7 more rows (8 rows total).
Change back to reverse stockinette and do 7 more rows [Second "bump"]
Change back to regular SS and do 6 more rows.
Then 8 rows of garter stitch (knit every row) [makes third "bump"] ----why I changed, I have no idea )
Final section is 10 rows of regular SS; decreasing on the last row: knit 13, k2tog 4 times = 56 stitches.
Bind off tightly ; if you leave a long enough tail, you can use it to sew the sides together. Weave in the ends.

So that adds up to about 47 rows in all. Actually had to sit here looking at it to know what I did----I really did just go for it. And if I find my other needle, I'll be doing it again in the round.
Good Luck and let me know what you come up with.
Phaedra is offline   Reply With Quote