Old 09-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Vet my new knitting blog?
Hey guys: so, I've finally gotten around to starting up a knitting blog. It's slanted mainly to knitwear designers, as that's something I want to start doing, but I hope it might interest others who knit or crochet as well.

If anybody has any time, would you be willing to go by the thing and give me some feedback (any and all opinions gratefully accepted) on whether it's readable graphically, the design of the thing, whether you think it's interesting at all, all that stuff? I think I've been looking at it for so long I can't actually see it anymore...

There's still a few things broken (the text of the menu buttons up top that slop over the edge of the buttons, for instance, as you drill down), I know...must get geek partner to help me with the CSS on that...

Thanks in advance for helping me out!

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
stitchabit
1st Leg of the Journey

I really like your blog. I love the giant ball of yarn on the rocks. I hope to one day visit Ireland and see where my ancestors lived. I am a Rose- the 5th one down the line -named fer the great great great grandmother, grandmother, mother, then me, and my GD.

I personally know nothing about starting a blog. I like the variety of information and topica and I like the articles. You are my first and only Blog on my favorites now.
globaltraveler (09-06-2009)
Old 09-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Quote:
I love the giant ball of yarn on the rocks.
Heeheee. Wasn't that funny? I don't know exactly what happened with my camera there, but the focus was out on the bay enough that it made the ball of yarn on the stone wall directly in front of me look humongous. Never had that happen before. That's Dingle Bay, by the way, which is a lovely place.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
farmgirl
1st Leg of the Journey

I like your blog, too! And the big ball of yarn! Well done!

Lori
"Whatever your hands find to do, do it with all your might." -Ecclesiastes 9:10
farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to farmgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2009, 07:10 AM   #5
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Well, I just had to go check out the big ball of yarn - that really is a great picture!

The blog seems well organized and attractive - Good Job!

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirl56 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Hi Zina!

Very nice! I didn't have the time to read everything, but since you asked for some input, here is one thing that stands out to me:
the 'font' is too small and too light for the intensity of background color. Either lighten the background, or enlarge and darken the font.

That's all for now!

Good luck with your blog! I'll be checking back!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
NotreDameFan
Ribbing the Cuff

Hey Zina...

I just visted your blog and it looks great!!! I hope it goes well for you and you have fun with it.

NotreDameFan on Ravelry

OTN: Baby Surprise Jacket for GDD
Recent FO's: 2 Baby Hats; 2 pair of Baby Booties; Baby mittens, Baby Afghan, and 4 Baby Surprise Jackets
NotreDameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NotreDameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
melmac51
Turning the Heel

Zina! Great blog! I learned some things there, and think I have a new addiction...spinning the color wheel. What a great reference!
Old 09-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
margz3
Working the Gusset

I like your blog - you have some great resources there!! I've bookmarked it I do agree with Art Lady though - a bigger or darker font or lighter page background would make it a tad easier to read. Great job all in all!

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

margz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to margz3 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Nice work so far!!!! And I love that header. I also agree with Artlady. Maybe just making the font bigger will be the "right" answer. Also, when you fix the text issue in the navigation, you may want to also consider making the boxes in the drop-down navigation the same width. I think it will give it a cleaner look.

Other than that, I think the look is great!!

One other thing too. It looks like you're embedding images from other sites. For example in the Yarn Harlot post, it looks like you embedded the image (which is dead) from http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/images/YH-mainhead.gif. You really shouldn't be doing it that way because it constitutes bandwidth theft. (Of course this is assuming that 1. Yarn Harlot didn't give you permission and 2. You're not Yarn Harlot ). You're using *her* server & bandwidth allowance to display an image on *your* site. Yarn Harlot is essentially paying to display the image on your site. I think it's better developer etiquette to save the image to your own server (with permission of course ) and embed it from there. For example, it looks like you did that in your "Color Fun" post with http://anotherlongyarn.zinalee.net/w...colorwheel.png.

I hope you're not offended. But I just wanted to point that out because bandwidth isn't free. And when you consider how popular a site is (and visited internationally by millions of people), I imagine bandwidth theft can get expensive. :(

...one more thing ... there's no way to contact you from your site

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ekgheiy For This Useful Post: