Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #10721
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Thanks everybody - yes, I really do love what I'm doing, it's so exciting! There are parts don't care for: cleaning mews and pigeon coops is really gross, as is prepping raptor food. I had to prep a rabbit who looked just like my brother's old pet, and I just about started bawling, but those things have to be done, and the rest of the stuff I do totally makes up for it.
Yesterday I got bitten by a red shouldered hawk from rehab. He's known as Elmer, because he fell into a vat of some kind of glue/plastic/polymer stuff and ruined all of his feathers and destroyed his talons. He is being released tomorrow, so we took him out to a field to creance him, which is where you tie the bird to a drag line so that it can fly but not too far. I was taking off the temporary anklets, so I wasn't wearing gloves (he was restrained by one of the volunteers) and he managed to stick his head out far enough to get ahold of my hand. Still, it was a fun, new thing to do. He's definitely ready to be out of here!
Also, everyone seems pleased with the work I'm doing. I made a comment today that it seems like in almost 3 weeks I should have picked up more than I have, but if I remind myself that I've only been at the ETC three days, it isn't so bad. Jen (my boss at the ETC) replied that in 3 days I've shown more initiative than the summer interns showed in their three months.
I'm so happy to hear that Christine is continuing to improve!
Dustina: I might suggest offering a "fixing mistakes" class seperately: there are several different types of mistakes that are easily fixed, and I could see that segment being a whole class on its own, and of interest to people of all levels. You could include lifelines in that class, too.
You could also do the two-handed, double knitting, and other techniques (lace, intarsia, etc.) as a special techniques class, maybe one night per technique making blocks of different styles that could be combined as a scarf, blanket, pillows, etc. People could register seperately for each technique so they could do only the ones they are interested in, or register for the whole sequence.
Hope everyone is having a great week - I'm going to a "Knit in" tomorrow night at the LYS!
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
dustinac (09-03-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #10722
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Dustina I really dont have anything to add to your class list. Jess already brought up the intarsia & lace.
Maybe teach them about the different weights of yarn and what needle sizes are usually suitable.

I am still fighting a dang head cold. The week my sister was here, 2 weeks ago, the kids came down with it, then last week when Dh was on vacation he had it and now it's my turn. Dang it! The worst part is the scratchy throat, if it was just my nose bugging me I'd be able to deal with that lots better. but it's both. And I really thought I had it beat but then the monthly curse showed up & that's when it hit hard.

We're realizing that 'summer' is over and draining the pool, started yesterday morning and it's still draining. But at least we're able to use it to water the plants in the yard, there wasn't any chlorene left in it.

OK y'all gotta go eat dinner so I'll talk toyou maybe tomorrow? Bailey has 2 cavities, both on 2 of her eye teeth & one covers 2 surfaces and the other covers 4 surfaces; she'll get those fixed tomorrow morning, this should be interesting.
The Following User Says Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
dustinac (09-03-2009)
Old 09-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #10723
jberry16
Instepping Out

OK I'll blame the cold meds, Bailey's dental appointment isn't till next Thursday.
I slept in till 8 this morning! wow! that hasn't happened in years.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #10724
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Good Morning Socksters!!

Julie~I hope you are feeling better

Emily~I would have trouble preparing a rabbit too...I hope you had fun at knit night

Courtney~We only had a couple of days in the 90s this summer...you could send some of that warmth this way

Hi everyone! I hope you guys are having a great day!!

Thanks you guys for the tips on the knitting classes. I was hoping for more day classes but they said most of the night classes do better...well with the kids activities that doesn't leave me many nights open...basically Monday and Saturday lol so I decided this time around to just do the New to continental class, Two handed color work, tips class, and double knitting...then next time maybe I'll start with beginners. I'm worried that I won't be able to do that in 2 three hour classes...so we will see

I got my blood work results yesterday afternoon and my sugar and cholestrol numbers were excellent they said...but my thyroid was borderline low...so now JD is pushing B6 and B12 on me...read on the internet that will sometimes help...I go back in 6wks for more blood work...

This morning Roo didn't want to go at all...held on to me, begged for me to keep her home, said she missed me too much...so hard to make her go on...I told her just get through today and we will have 3 days together...I hope once class starts she will be ok...

I hope you guys have a great day of knitting

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (09-04-2009), jess_hawk (09-04-2009)
Old 09-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #10725
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Good morning Sole Mates.

Originally Posted by dustinac View Post

Emily~I would have trouble preparing a rabbit too.
No I will not go there, I am trying to be good.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:41 AM   #10726
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanks Dustina I'm feeling better, so far. Only took one dose of cold meds yesterday. I am not one to take meds, Dh will start popping the cold meds as soon as he feels symptoms. I wonder if he thinks that the cold meds help him fight it? Soooooo not the case.

Dustina. Roo will be ok. Jacob asked earlier this week if he could take a sick day. I asked him why and he said because he just wanted to spend time with me at home. I told him absolutly not; unless you're very sick. He said, "well daddy took a sick day when he wasn't sick." So Dh got scolded later that day when I talked to him. Jacob was right, Brian took a 'mental health' day a few weeks ago...darn kids remember too much.
The Following User Says Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
dustinac (09-07-2009)
Old 09-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #10727
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Hi everyone!

The house hunting is going well. We went and saw 3 houses on Tuesday and it was great. I really like one of them (see bottom of the page), but we'll just have to wait a few days because Josh is away in Nashville until late Monday night. I am working all weekend- what's everyone else doing?

Dustina- Don't worry about Roo too much. I always made a big deal about my mom leaving, but I was fine once she left. Hope your get your thyroid under control.

Julie- Glad you're feeling a little better. Josh does the same as your DH- pops the pills as soon as he feels a little badly. I usually drink a lot of tea and deny being sick!

Hi Jess, Sue, Lisa, Carey, Chris, Jackie and everyone else!

I'll describe the house I love down here for those who are interested. It's a 1950's bungalow with 3 bedrooms and one bathroom. It's been completely re-done inside and it looks beautiful. The living room has a cove ceiling and a big beautiful (new) window with a huge older tree out front. The 3 bedrooms are all a decent size. The basement is great, there's a rec room and another smaller "bedroom" which could really be anything. It also has a cold room and a separate laundry room. Outside needs some work, but that's the only thing that needs work.

Positives:
- Move-in ready
- Great neighbourhood
- Curb appeal
- New kitchen, bathroom, flooring, windows

Negatives:
- No dishwasher and I'm not sure there's room for one
- Although great neighbourhood, the location is a little busy
- The backyard is very shady- very little sun
- New flooring is laminate- no hardwood

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post:
dustinac (09-07-2009), jberry16 (09-05-2009), jess_hawk (09-04-2009)
Old 09-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #10728
cdjack
Turning the Heel

Oh, Ann, I love house hunting! Of course, dh and I are renting right now and I don't see us buying anything right now. We want to move home to Houston. So, instead, I house hunt vicariously through the people on those HGTV shows. House Hunters and Property Virgins are my favorite. One thing that I have learned from those shows is that I shouldn't complain about the cost of homes in Texas.

What is a cold room? Is that anything like a mud room? I had never heard that term until I moved to Michigan.

Well, dh and I are off to Waco for his family reunion. Hopefully, it won't be too hot since we spend most of the time outside. 90 degrees would be lovely...

Courtney
The Following User Says Thank You to cdjack For This Useful Post:
knitgal (09-04-2009)
Old 09-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #10729
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts

Christine Murphy September 4 at 6:22pm Reply
I can't believe all the members! I can't believe all the beautiful comments, and love pouring out onto the pages. I think when I'm better I'll have a party and we'll get everybody together. Thank you to each and every one of you for the prayers, for the good wishes, for the support, and for helping Tanya through a hard time.

I will be thrilled to give you the update today! Today I walked ten metres, sat up in a wheelchair for 3 hours, and I did physio! The Physiotherapist said I did really well. I went out in the sunshine, and it felt great. Up until we got attacked by a killer hornet that was very determined to get Tanya. He must have liked her new top.

Through situations like this a person finds out just who truly matters most to them, and who they can count on in life, and who is truly a friend. I am amazed by the amount of friends who put out their hands to help Tanya during this difficult time, and have put our their hands to lift me up through all of this. I will never forget those of you who have shown us love and support.

Hugs (albeit gentle ones),
Christine

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (09-05-2009), jess_hawk (09-04-2009), Lisa1216 (09-08-2009), rachejm (09-05-2009), sue in canada (09-05-2009)
Old 09-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #10730
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

YAY CHRISTINE!
So, knit night was awesomeness. There were delicious food items including the richest chocolate cake I have ever had (unfortunately no milk, but even so... OMG!). All levels of knitters, and one girl is knitting the dissected frog I've been coveting on Etsy (OK so I REALLY want the dissected rat... I've been trying to decide whether I should just pay up and get the pattern, or if I could do a more realistic one myself anyway...)
It was a good way to end the day, which was kind of par for the course in Rehab: in the morning I got to attend a release (this one was part of a corporate partnership so there were news stations and about forty people) of two of our birds. We got back in time for lunch, followed by three hours of boring secretary stuff, and then when I was putting away birds we got a call regarding a red tailed hawk who had a broken wing after being hit by a car. So I stayed late to help with it. Before we even picked her up we knew that it was probably going to be one of those times when we couldn't do anything, and without going into any details, it was pretty terrible and we had to euthanize her. Which was made even more annoying because she was big, fat, and extremely healthy: the hawk equivalent of an eighteen year old athlete being killed by a drunk driver.
Now, keep in mind that I understood when I applied for the internship that I would deal with this kind of thing. I am glad that she was brought to us and we could give her a quick, easy death rather than whatever might have happened by the side of the road. It is still a sad and infuriating thing to deal with. So, I went to knit night and thought about Elmer zipping off into the woods, instead.
As previously mentioned, the day was kind of typical for rehab: there are the moments of extreme joy, the moments of frustration and sadness, and the tedious work in between.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
Closed Thread