Old 09-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #21
melmac51
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by ekgheiy View Post
It looks like the site is down. I keep getting the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error. I very rarely use my webrowers' text sizing option. A lot of times, it throws off the page alignment and brings up the dreaded horizontal scrollbar. Ew! ehehhehe

I'm having the same problem. But, will check again later.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #22
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Drat. Well, could be one of two things: one, Siteground, where this is hosted, often has little outages and you guys may be hitting one; or two, I've noticed a LOT of people from a LOT of different places around the world saying recently that they're having problems with their connections in very small ways, which sounds like another security attack problem (again).

Thanks for checking again though -- I think I've figured out how to do this, involving greyscale PNGs...

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #23
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by globaltraveler View Post
Yeah, it's funny that the browsers all have the ability to do that with the text, but I'm not sure I've ever actually heard of anyone using that ability. Ever.

So, is the text better now on your monitor, D?
As something of a geek, for me it's just automatic to hit ctrl+ to enlarge text as I need. I don't even think about it.

I think it's a very nice looking site and I also especially like the image you used for the header.

I'm of Irish descent myself, last name is Mullins (I know, that's like Smith here ) and some day will visit over there to look up distant relatives.

I've bookmarked your site and will try to visit when I can.

.png files can be pesky buggers (I think that's what the "p" stands for ). If you haven't already, give the free image editing program The Gimp a try. It's all I use and I find it very helpful. Of course it comes from the Linux community but there is a Windoze version.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
globaltraveler (09-06-2009)
Old 09-06-2009, 06:42 AM   #24
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Always have to be different, don'cha, Mason?!

Yeah, the geek partner has mentioned Gimp too, Mason -- the problem is that my copy of Photoshop is SO old that I don't think some of this stuff is on there in any kind of automatic way. (It's been a long time, in terms of computer years) since web design was my business.)

I'm trying to keep this old Macbook from dying as long as possible, but when it does, I'm going to also pop for all new versions of all my programs. He's got a new version of PS, but I can hardly go borrowing his laptop every time I need to do a new graphic...so I may well try Gimp out.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #25
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Hi Zina!

I also want to comment on your generosity of spirit! You have created a wonderful knitting blog, and I know it takes hours and hours of effort and time to do so!

Thank you, Zina! It is a beautiful thing! Very informational, well thought-out, and makes sense, too!

Things like font and colors are small things in comparison to CONTENT! In the end, a perfectly beautiful website with nothing to say is really just nothing! Your website is beautiful, relevant and informational!

Kudos, kiddo! Kudos!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
globaltraveler (09-07-2009)
Old 09-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #26
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Aw, thanks, D! I'll be relieved when I get the writing done on the design primer, though. That's going to be a slog to get through!

Old 09-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #27
melmac51
Turning the Heel

Oh-oh...I found another "toy" on your blog...it's the Random Stripe Maker. Thanks! Had a good time with that. Your blog rocks!
globaltraveler (09-08-2009)
Old 09-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #28
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

I know, it's really very difficult for me to actually get anything done these days...I tend to think, "oh, I just need something for the blog" and then end up playing with whatever it is for hours...

Old 09-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #29
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Tinkered around with a few of the TOYS on your blog, Z!
Fun! Took the 'color/hue' test! Meh. I scored 24.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
globaltraveler (09-08-2009)
Old 09-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #30
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
The first time you posted the link it ended it .net, the second time you posted it, it ended .com so I think that is the cause of the confusion of it working for some and not for others.