Yes, you are so right. I remember for my SYLVI coat...
last set of new sleeves I added more stitches to the upper arm.
The 'as per pattern' sleeve was rather a stove pipe look. At one point, I had 4 sleeves in front of me! I had extra yarn...so I didn't frog sleeves 1 & 2 until I was sure that sleeves 3 & 4 were gonna be 'keepers'!! The fifth sleeve I knit was a re-do of sleeve #1. I liked the re-do, so went on to make a match for it...then didn't like either one of them...so after that, I just bit the bullet and knit two new sleeves based upon my INTEL! Oy. But now the sleeves are perfect. And I did finally frog sleeves 1 & 2. I used the yarn for the flower petals and bobbles and collar! Not a waste after all!
Join my world of knitting and re-knitting!