Old 09-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
voyageofbeagle
Casting On

Fair isle with 5 colors
Hi all-

I've just started knitting this hat:

http://www.interweaveknits.com/galle...freyja-hat.asp

but now that I'm about to start the actual colorwork, I have a question. I watched the video about fair isle knitting, but it only addresses knitting with 2 colors.

With a hat such as this, do you carry ALL the colors, or just the ones that are used in the row you are working on?

For example, when the colorwork starts, rows 1-5 are beige & red. Then you don't use red again till row 19. Should I end the red at the end of row 5, weave in the end and start it new at row 19?

What is there is a smaller gap? Yellow is used in rows 6-7, then again in rows 12-13, 18-19, etc.

I'm sure this is a silly question, but I can't find the answer anywhere! Thanks!
voyageofbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
You only carry the colors of the row you are working on.

Quote:
For example, when the colorwork starts, rows 1-5 are beige & red. Then you don't use red again till row 19. Should I end the red at the end of row 5, weave in the end and start it new at row 19?
That is what I would do. You may be able to knit over you tails so that there is not as much weaving in as it looks like, but I think you get a better finished product if you don't try to carry a color not in use over a large number of rows.

If you are using the color after only 1-3 rows you might just leave it hanging and use the presently needed colors and then just bring the hanging color up and start using it being careful not to pull the little strand too tight between where it was used last and where you start working it. Give it a little slack.

For me I think I would cut the yellow off since you have to carry it about 5 rows. Some people manage to catch an unused yarn in at the round change each time and don't cut it but I often find that doesn't look real good. If you can do it neatly you could, but if it looks ugly cut it and deal with the ends.

There was a recent thread about this topic and I told there how I work over tails and you might like to look for that thread and read it. It is not hard to do and I like the result better than much carrying up rows of work.