Old 06-24-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
amitchell98
Casting On

Short Rows (wrap 'n turn stitch) in the round
Apparently this is all greek to me. I'm going crazy since I clearly am making the same mistake over and over again and it's still not working. Can someone watch my 4 little short videos of how I'm screwing this up and tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks a million!

I had to take this in 4 sections so that it wouldn't be like a 10 minute video. I hope that it makes sense. Here are the pictures first:
First, here is the left hand side of the longies when you're looking at the front.

And the right hand side when you're looking at the front. Notice those good for nothing holes!

Videos:
amitchell98 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Have you looked for Cat Bordhi's w&t videos on You tube? They're very good.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
amitchell98
Casting On

Yes, I was following her directions to the "t" or so I thought. But I figured I was making a mistake somewhere since when I come back around (I'm knitting in the round) I cannot pick up the wrap that I did when I was purling back across my short row. I always get a hole. But on the knit side where I wrap it looks perfect, I can pick the wrap up no problem and now hole.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Unfortunately I can't get your videos at the moment (tech difficulties with my network). But if it's holes that are the problem...take a look at http://www.knotions.com/techniques/s...hort_rows.aspx -- specifically the bits on wrapping on the purl side and then later picking up the purl side wraps...hope that helps!

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
amitchell98
Casting On

I think my problem is that because I am knitting in the round, I do not come to my "purl" wrap on the purl side. I knit around to the second stitch marker, do the wrap and turn on the knit side, purl back to the first stitch marker, do the wrap and turn on the purl side, turn and knit around. When I come to the second stitch marker I am on the knit side, so it is easy to pick up the wrap and knit it together with the stitch and move right along. When I come back around to my first stitch marker, because I am knitting in the round, I am on the knit side of the work, not the purl side. But I did the wrap on the purl side, so I am having a hard time picking up the wrap. I *think* it's because it is on the opposite side of my work.

Does this make any sense? Can I pick up the wrap somehow differently? I can't find any knitting document that explains how to do this when knitting in the round.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:57 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I sometimes have to rearrange the wrap stitch when I come to it so that it ends up in the back of the knit stitch, even when knitting flat.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:35 PM   #7
amitchell98
Casting On

I can't even seem to pick up the wrap though. It's like it doesn't exist when I come back around.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:02 AM   #8
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

You might want to give a sort of modified Japanese short row technique a try then -- basically you put a stitch marker (the kind you can open and close) onto the stitch and then when you get back to it, you use the stitch marker to lift the wrap up onto the needle.

http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonakni...se_short_.html

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:53 AM   #9
coastermeg
Casting On

I, too, am doing short rows in the round and am experiencing the same problem as Amitchell98. Thanks to Cat Bordhi and sock heels, I have done lots of her short-rows in my knitting life, but none - apparently - in the round. I can pick up stitches going knitwise and get no gaps (as Amitchell98 says), and pick up stitches going purlwise with no gaps. But when I'm working in the round and come to a wrapped stitch that I would ordinarily handle on the purl side... well... I'm knitting in the round so when I come upon the stitch that's wrapped that I'd normally purl, the wrap seems to be be on the wrong stitch.

Let's see... how to better explain... when knitting in the round from left needle onto right needle, when you come to a stitch that you wrapped from the knit side, you'll see the wrapped stitch, the wrap at its base, then an unwrapped stitch.

When knitting in the round and come to a stitch that you wrapped from the purl side (because you did a W&T on the knit side, so you've wrapped on the purl side), you'll come to an unwrapped stitch, the wrap at the base of its stitch, then the wrapped stitch.

If I lift the wrap and knit it with its stitch, I still get a hole between the unwrapped stitch and the new stitch. If I lift the wrap and try to knit it with the unwrapped stitch, it elongates the wrap and looks sillier than the gap. (I was trying to figure out a new way to close the gap).

I can't think of anything else to do to eliminate that gap, except maybe just yank the heck out of the yarn when knitting the stitch with its wrap? Using a needle 2 sizes too small when knitting that stitch? Any other suggestions I (we) can try?

- Meg
coastermeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #10
ABMama
Casting On

I've never done short rows that way, but if you're interested....I use this method http://www.woolywonder.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=34 when knitting in the round (I make longies all the time, so I use this method a lot!).

HTH!
ABMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ABMama For This Useful Post:
coastermeg (09-16-2009)