Old 08-21-2009, 07:17 AM   #11
rachael72knitter
Knitting the Flap

I was in a long relationship with one as well. It was a very difficult time. There is actually a forum for those involved with ppl that have NPD, a sort of self-help forum with ppl dealing with these issues (not for the NPD's themselves). I think it is a Yahoo group called Narcissistic Abuse. I would find it for you, but don't have time right now.

Is this a parent/family member, or a significant other? You don't have to tell me, but the different dynamics make dealing with them quite different in how you handle them. I dealt by getting out of the relationship, which of course would be different if it is a family member.
rachael72knitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-21-2009, 07:20 AM   #12
rachael72knitter
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by GinnyG View Post
I'm sorry you are dealing with this. My way was to just walk away. Believe me I tried everything possible. That may not be possible for you, in which case you need to take care of yourself.

Hopefully it isn't someone you have to deal with on a daily basis. I'm not sure there is a effective way to deal with it, which is why you couldn't find anything. Other than recognizing that THEY are the one who have the problem not you.

You will certainly never convince them there is a problem.

I did look on line for any reference to Princess D having NPD and was unable to find anything. Everything she did and stood for is in opposition to the definition of NPD so I suspect that where ever that information came from it is faulty.

Yeah- I don't believe it. Maybe Prince Charles. . .but Diana does not seem to have the symptoms of a narcissist.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

Isn't this also one of the symptoms of a sociopath?
They see themselves as above and better than others too.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:07 PM   #14
rachael72knitter
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Lighting57 View Post
Isn't this also one of the symptoms of a sociopath?
They see themselves as above and better than others too.
Yes. . .but narcissists have that symptom combined with other symptoms that are not like a sociopath. Narcissists actually have very low self-esteem and this leads to them being unable to accept criticism or disagreement. It is a defense mechanism, they start to believe they are better than most, have an irrational sense of entitlement, and are often very materialistic. This enables them to not have to accept any criticism. They are also often delusional. They are often liars as well. They work very hard at presenting their ideal facade to others and if this facade is threatened, or there is any chinks in it spotted by others, they become very hostile. I could go on and on about the symptoms, but will refrain.
The Following User Says Thank You to rachael72knitter For This Useful Post:
MoniDew (09-20-2009)
Old 08-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #15
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Everything you said, Rachel. My Mother is 87, and she's going to outlive both my brother and I, who are in our 50's.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #16
BaumChele
Casting On

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nar...sorder/DS00652
melmac51 (09-09-2009)
Old 09-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #17
knitfan
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks BaumChele for the webpage for that. I found it very informative and can see why NPD can be confused with Borderline PD, which is what I thought my ex has and my daughter, but now, not sure which. Neither of them will get a psychiatric evaluation to get an actual dx. Only have had psychologist surmising.
knitfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #18
BaumChele
Casting On

Originally Posted by knitfan View Post
Thanks BaumChele for the webpage for that. I found it very informative and can see why NPD can be confused with Borderline PD, which is what I thought my ex has and my daughter, but now, not sure which. Neither of them will get a psychiatric evaluation to get an actual dx. Only have had psychologist surmising.
Actually, it's a little harder. BP1(Bipolar) has violent tendencies while BP2 doesn't. Distinguishing NPD from normal teenage behavior, aggressive behavior or a person with an inflated ego is rather difficult. General borderline personality disorder(BPD), on the other hand, is used to classify nearly everyone that they can't classify as something else. BPD and BP are a rather common diagnosis and mental health professionals are very quick to diagnose anyone with either. Everyone in the world will be diagnosed with one mental health disorder or another. There is no such thing as normal behavior in this world.

How you deal with your ex is up to you but for your daughter, family therapy, individualized therapy, or just some quality mother daughter time might help you. I'd stay away from the meds.

I was diagnosed with NPD, BPD, BP2, manic depression, and ADHD by several mental health professionals from age 9 to 25, went to the Mayo Clinic and found out there was nothing wrong with me. I was just angry with the world and had severe trust issues. I'm getting over it. I took myself off the meds and found things to keep e occupied. Crochet and knitting helped me believe it or not, I had to focus on the project instead of what was making me so hateful.

Best of luck to you.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #19
yaelbaruch
Casting On

Wow, that's really intersting, actually.
I'm really into medicine and as such, and I've NEVER heard about this disorder.
It's really interesting, because most OCDs are cured within therapy, but you obviously wouldn't be able to convince those people to go there, since they are perfect and do not need therapy.
Woah... I really hope it's just a phase, and not something permanent.
Oh, and for the woman who spent 17 years married to a guy with this disorder (Sorry, I'm new and I don't remember names yet lol) - KUDOS! Really, I wouldn't be strong enough (mentally) to stay with someone like that...