Old 09-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #6311
JanetLWL
Casting On

Hello, My name is Janet and I am a beginning knitter. A knit shop opened in my town and I have been taking lessons off and on. This website has been very helpful and I especially appreciate the free videos. I am going to make an elongated scarf as my next project.
JanetLWL is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-19-2009, 11:57 PM   #6312
ahugh
Casting On

Hi Everyone,

Im new here. I just started knitting last year and I had made 3 little hats for my baby and some pillow cases. Currently Im working on a new project and in need of help. I hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you!!!
ahugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:39 AM   #6313
sharona56
Casting On

Just wanted to say this website is very helpful. It's so nice to have instant advice, assistance. I started a sweater just a week ago, and am amazed at my progress. Thanks for being here when I get stuck.
sharona56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #6314
yaelbaruch
Casting On

Hey,
my name is Yael and I'm a knitter from Israel
Apart from knitting, in my spare time, I play computer games and... Well, hang out with my mates...
I am on my second year of the mandatory IDF (Israel Defense Forces) service, which is also the last year.
Hope I get to know you guys well
Old 09-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #6315
Froggy9682
Casting On

New Knitter here :)
Hello everyone! I am new here and pretty new to knitting. Last winter I made a scarf (pretty bad, but functional...haha), and then promptly forgot how to knit. I've decided to pick it up again, and am currently making another scarf to refresh myself after watching a few videos and reading some books. I really like baby/toddler knits, though I have no kids. I'm hoping to get really good so I can knit for my own kids when the time comes. Meanwhile, I guess I will give all my stuff away to friends with kids I'm knitting from "Easy Baby Knits" by Claire Montgomerie, has anyone else made her patterns? I think they are so cute. Anyways, I hope to learn a lot here and get to know some fellow knitters!
Froggy9682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #6316
Remontoire
Casting On

Send a message via ICQ to Remontoire Send a message via AIM to Remontoire Send a message via MSN to Remontoire Send a message via Yahoo to Remontoire
Getting started at long last
I am finally acting on a long time desire to produce knitted garments. Socks and sweaters are my goal... eventually. Just now I'm working on my second, five foot scarf. The first one wasn't perfect and the second one won't be either. I'm completely OK with that. I'm a watch and clockmaker and I've learnt that there will be many more mistakes before I have my 10,000 hours of mastery going on.

The plan is to finish the current scarf that is exactly like the first one and then move from the current acrylic (yuck) yarn to some very colourful wool I bought recently. I'm excited about the prospects of what the winter holds. Knitting seems to be a wonderful activity for the end of the day when I don't feel like doing anything much more than sitting down anyway.

I've decided that my first sweater won't be a looker, but more of a stout bit of utility for my country life and trips to the barn. I have not had any success in finding as plain a pattern as I'm looking for though.

What I want is the very most plain design and construction I can find. I won't be cheap with the wool, but I will hold out on this project until I have a very primitive pattern that I can execute well. Ideas from you folks will be welcomed with open arms.

I'm very excited to see my scarves coming out more consistently. I've leant how to correct several of my favourite mistakes, which I'm sure my ambitious knitting Mum (Canadian dollar coin showing) will be happy to hear. I was visiting her recently and I think she thought the pain of me learning to knit at 50 years old was akin to learning the bagpipes. Not good!

I'm grateful to find this community and hope to be able to contribute in the spirit of this place.
Cheers! Ian
Old 09-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #6317
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,906 Posts
Welcome to the forum, everyone!

Originally Posted by annalilly View Post
......I have been stubbornly trying to work out a chart for knitting BW's Grapevine pattern (2nd Treasury, p.220) in the round. If anybody has one, let me know. Happy knitting!!
You might try posting your question in the "Pattern Central" area of our forum.

Originally Posted by Texas44 View Post
....now working on a shrug and i hope i can figure out how to sew it up when it comes time.
Hi Rhonda! You'll see a few good videos on "seaming" at the top of this page. Just click "View Videos", and find the section on "Knitting Tips". Scroll down that page for finishing techniques. Good luck!

Originally Posted by sharona56 View Post
My first question, is what is the best method for going from one skein of yarn to another.
Hi Sharon, you'll see Amy's videos on "Joining Yarn" on this page: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips

Originally Posted by shellstitch View Post
.....Before my stroke, I designed and made my own career wear and crochet was my favorite passtime, besides music........I've found that if I work really, really hard, I can recover some of the function in my dominant (right) hand and the sky is the limit. Key is, to never-ever give up!
You're an inspiration!

Originally Posted by PattySeidl View Post
who do I ask?
Originally Posted by ahugh View Post
.....Currently Im working on a new project and in need of help. I hope to hear from you soon.
If you have a question about specific patterns, post your question in the "Pattern Central" section. If you need help with a technique, post your question in the "How To" section. Just click the "Start a New Thread" button to post your question. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Froggy9682 View Post
..........I'm knitting from "Easy Baby Knits" by Claire Montgomerie, has anyone else made her patterns?
If you start a discussion in the "Pattern Central" section, you can find others working in the same book.

Originally Posted by Remontoire View Post
......I've decided that my first sweater won't be a looker, but more of a stout bit of utility for my country life and trips to the barn. I have not had any success in finding as plain a pattern as I'm looking for though.
You'll probably like the "Knitting Pure and Simple" patterns.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
Remontoire (09-27-2009)
Old 09-21-2009, 05:46 PM   #6318
kitty59e
Casting On

Hello all I am Debbie, I am new to this forum. I love having places to go and chit chat . I am one of these that has to many things going at once. I love to knit and crochet and sew and quilt. Thats where it comes in that I get my hands into to many things at once. But glad I found a place to come to .

Last edited by kitty59e : 09-21-2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: add name
kitty59e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kitty59e For This Useful Post:
Remontoire (09-27-2009)
Old 09-22-2009, 06:10 AM   #6319
raennshadow
Casting On

Introducing myself
Started knitting in 1976 and learned to crochet at the same time. I love both for different reasons and different projects, and sometimes will make items in one of each. I was looking for a way to carry a second color easily across the back when knitting two rows of each color...and didn't find any until I stumbled across a link to this site. How have I missed it? I live in Hoquiam, Washington, USA...on the banks of the Hoquiam River, just 30 miles from the Pacific Ocean. I consider myself an intermediate knitter even though I have tackled some pretty complicated projects. I prefer making useful items for friends and family..like scarves, mittens, hats...and if Santa tells me they have been very very good an occasional sweater.

I have been married for 52 years and we have one boomerang son at home...he is a delight and a burden at the same time. Suffers from panic attacks and depression, but in comfortable surroundings he is so clever and funny, it still amazes me he is so unsure and critical of himself. My husband was a government worker and on retiring became a downhill ski instructor. I had to give up skiing a few years ago, but I like sitting by the fireplace and enjoy the mountains from our condo at Snoqualmie Pass [about 150 miles from here] so in the winter I may be writing from up there. Beside knitting and crocheting I love photography, traveling, cooking, genealogy research, movies and television...not necesarily in that order. I love my grandnchildren and great grandchildren and do not get top see them nearly enough.

I found the answer to my question, but I'll be back.

raennshadow
raennshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #6320
marykaync42
Casting On

Mary Kay Holterman
I just sort of stumbled across this site this afternoon while browsing. It looks great and I'll be coming back often for help and hints and other good stuff!
marykaync42 is offline   Reply With Quote